Maggie Needs an Alibi by Kasey Michaels

Maggie Needs an Alibi

by Kasey Michaels

I got this book from PaperbackSwap because I accidentally bought a later book in this series and it looked promising. I just couldn't get into it, the characters, however interesting they were, just didn't feel real to me so I couldn't fall into the story. I think this is a WONDERFUL idea but I just couldn't get into the story. ( )
  rosetyper9 | Nov 12, 2015 |
I did not enjoy this book at all. It was the longest week trying to finish this novel. I thought the concept of two (2) characters in author Maggie Kelly's imagination and from her novels coming to life would be delightful, fun, and just plain funny. It was not! It was a tedious and daunting task to finish this book. I kept reading as it is extremely rare for me not to finish a novel. I can only remember two (2) titles in my lifetime that I haven't finished. I wanted to finish this novel as I had so enjoyed my introduction to Kasey Michaels in reading "Dial M for Mischief". But I definitely will not be pursuing more titles in the Maggie Kelly series and I'm afraid it will be awhile before I try a Kasey Michaels novel again. This 'aftertaste' is going to take a little time to disappear. ( )
  Corduroy7 | Nov 18, 2014 |
To sum Maggie Needs An Alibi up in one word, hilarious. This novel is truly brain-candy in the sense that it takes you on a murder mystery adventure with a Robert Downey Jr.'s Sherlock Holmes style detective, plopped into the modern world with lots of sleuthing, assumptions, and sarcasm.

The ne'er-do-well was an easy guess but that didn't matter since you read this novel more for amusement and adventure than the twist. I look forward to reading Maggie By The Book. ( )
  bleached | Sep 8, 2012 |
Maggie Kelly is a mystery author who is on the New York Times best sellers list. Her mysteries feature two major characters: 1) her heroic detective Alexandre Blake, Viscount Saint Just, "amateur sleuth, hero extraordinare, world-class lover", and arrogant and 2) his sidekick and friend, Sterling Balder, "a slightly bumbling friend".

Life seems to be going well until her ex-boyfriend shows up wanting to get back together. After managing to send him out the door, she turns around to find these two characters come to life, standing in her apartment and eating her food. After a series of fainting, "dreaming", thinking she's insane, etc., she finally comes to terms that they are indeed her characters and not some mega-fans who sneaked in when she wasn't looking.

The next chapters deal with her dealing with the two; learning how to live with them and how to lie to her friends and "friends" about their existence. This includes a lot of thinking on their feet.

The murder, which usually takes place at the beginning of most murder-mystery novels, doesn't even occur until chapters 8-9. And poor Maggie is thrust into bad press and chaos, forced to let "Alex" help her solve the mystery.

The rest that follows is bravado, a tint of romance, comical relief, and a plot of conspiracy to murder.

It is a fun read and will definitely brighten up your day.

Kasey Michaels does a great job of keeping you occupied with her writing style that is both fun and serious.

And the ending is perfection. Even if you do realize who did it, you really don't comprehend how much was involved until the end.

So if you are looking for a mystery with a large helping of humor and some sprinklings of romance, definitely read "Maggie Needs an Alibi". ( )
  deepikasd | Sep 6, 2011 |
Was definitely interesting to say the least :) In this series Maggie Kelly is a Mystery author. Her 2 main characters come to life and appear in her living room and soon help her solve her real live mystery when her ex-boyfriend ends up dead after she cooks dinner for him.. Weird, funny and intriguing all at once! ( )
  DreamingInFiction | Feb 13, 2011 |
To know is nothing at all; to imagine is everything. - Anatole France
One never knows, do one? - Thomas "Fats" Waller
For Megan and Joe.
Here's to a long, healthy,
and happy life together.
It all began innocently enough.

Mystery novelist Maggie Kelly, who must deal with the arrival of detective Viscount Saint and his inept sidekick--fictional characters who have suddenly become very real--finds her life thrown into turmoil when she is accused of murdering her ex-boyfriend.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,356,454 books! | Top bar: Always visible