Wrath of the Lemming Men (2009)

by Toby Frost

From the depths of Space a new foe rises to do battle with mankind: the British Space Empire is threatened by the lemming-people of Yull, ruthless enemies who attack without mercy or fear. At the call of their war god, the Yull have turned on the Empire, hell bent on conquest and destruction in their rush towards the cliffs of destiny.… (more)

Another fun book, although I slightly wish I'd put it off longer to read, both to break up my current trip and because I finished the previous one only a week ago, and it feels a bit of a waste! I should perhaps also say that I think they're a little less effective read closely together because they feel less fresh.

This felt like another solid product from Frost, with the characters remaining fun and the tone wavering skilfully between straight-faced silliness, parody and sex jokes. There's actually character development of a kind in this series, restrained though it is, which I wasn't sure there would be. On the one hand, it prevents things from getting to stale and a false stasis from taking hold; on the other hand some lines of character fun are closed off or tied up, such as Suruk's family tensions, and I'm hoping Frost can find new ones to replace them.

A light, undemanding read that I very much enjoyed, with the usual disclaimer that non-Brits may not get it. ( )
  Shimmin | Jul 15, 2014 |

Belongs to Series

To all the readers but especially to Alex
By dawn it was clear to General Young that General Wikwot's drive to capture Varanor had ground to a halt.

Myrmidon Books

An edition of this book was published by Myrmidon Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,843,001 books! | Top bar: Always visible