So Long, See You Tomorrow by William Maxwell

So Long, See You Tomorrow (original 1980; edition 1996)

by William Maxwell (Author)

WITH AN INTRODUCTION BY ANN PATCHETTIn rural Illinois two tenant farmers share much, finally too much, until jealously leads to murder and suicide. A tenuous friendship between lonely teenagers - the narrator, whose mother has died young, and Cletus Smith, the troubled witness to his parent's misery - is shattered. Fifty years on, the narrator mourns words left unsaid, and attempts a reconstruction of those devastating events and the atonement of a lifetime's regret.… (more)
Member:chapeauchin
Title:So Long, See You Tomorrow
Authors:William Maxwell (Author)
Info:Vintage (1996), Edition: 1st, 144 pages
Tags:fiction, coming of age, US, kindle, bookclub

So Long, See You Tomorrow by William Maxwell (1980)

English (49)  Spanish (4)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (57)
Beautiful book--The writing is so exact, yet never feels self-conscious. ( )
  giovannaz63 | Jan 18, 2021 |
A true classic! ( )
  Faradaydon | Dec 31, 2020 |
sometimes forgot which character he was referring to ( )
  rosies | May 4, 2019 |
This came to me with the highest possible recommendation and I was a little disappointed not to be wowed by it. There was much to admire, but not enough to love, in this reader's opinion. It's a story of regret and unhappiness as the narrator looks back on his childhood and juxtaposes his own response to his mother's death and his father's remarriage to the total breakdown of two neighbouring families. His inability to communicate his sadness and his need for love and understanding to his father extends beyond his person identity and leaves him utterly ill-equipped to reach out to and empathize with a childhood friend.

This sense of having failed revolves around a single moment and missed opportunity, but it creates such a lasting impact that it comes to define the narrator's sense of self for the next 50 years. I wish I'd liked it more. ( )
  asxz | Mar 13, 2019 |
Stunning

I don't know how or why I missed when I am asked well up until this point. But I could not be happier to have found his work! His words are infused with the empathy and simplicity. Profound. ( )
  KellyFordon | Mar 6, 2019 |
Told from the viewpoint of an old man who feels guilt about his broken connection to a high-school friend after the friend suffers a terrible trauma, the story is sad, primal, deeply American. The writing is as clear and sharp as grain alcohol.

William Maxwellprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bustelo, GabrielaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Robert Fitzgerald
The gravel pit was about a mile east of town, and the size of a small lake, and so deep that boys under sixteen were forbidden by their parents to swim there.
What we, or at any rate what I, refer to confidently as memory - meaning a moment, a scene, a fact that has been subjected to a fixative and thereby rescued from oblivion - is really a form of storytelling that goes on continually in the mind and often changes with the telling. Too many conflicting emotional interests are involved for life ever to be wholly acceptable, and possibly it is the work of the storyteller to rearrange things so that they conform to this end. In any case, in talking about the past we lie with every breath we draw.
"There is a limit, surely, to what one can demand of one’s adolescent self."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 154,486,729 books! | Top bar: Always visible