Mona in the Promised Land: A Novel by Gish…

Mona in the Promised Land: A Novel (original 1996; edition 1997)

by Gish Jen

It is 1968, the dawn of the age of ethnicity, and though some nice Chinese girls are turning more Chinese, teenaged Mona Chang is turning Jewish, much to her parents' chagrin. Gish Jen is the author of Typical American.
Member:ConnecticutMom
Title:Mona in the Promised Land: A Novel
Authors:Gish Jen
Info:Vintage (1997), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 303 pages
Collections:Currently reading

Mona in the Promised Land: A Novel by Gish Jen (1996)

I am a huge fan of Gish Jen. I don't know when I first encountered her, but I like her stories about growing up in America. ( )
  purlewe | Apr 1, 2013 |
A quick read interesting but not a book I'd read again. It was okay. ( )
  auraesque | Dec 9, 2010 |
Loved the premise of a young 2nd generation Chinese teen converting to Judaism. I really liked Mona, the main character, and her relationship with her sister. I could practically see her eyes rolling at her mother's conversations and advice.

But partway through, I have lost interest. Maybe it's me, but I am not attached to finishing this book. ( )
  Lcwilson45 | Jan 12, 2010 |
Pretty funny with some very sharp writing. Tedious subplot about cook and his black power friends. Final conflict between Mona and her mother seems to come out nowhere, but nice bittersweet resolution. ( )
  MuseofIre | Jul 10, 2009 |
  MsPibel | Jun 15, 2009 |
For my mother, who sat on her father's lap and read scrolls--and for my father, who tucked Tai Shan under his arm, and jumped over the North Sea
There they are, nice Chinese family--father, mother, two born-here girls.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,287,052 books! | Top bar: Always visible