Now & Ben: The Modern Inventions of Benjamin…

Now & Ben: The Modern Inventions of Benjamin Franklin

by Gene Barretta

Now and Ben teaches about Benjamin Franklin's inventions from over 200 years ago that are still used in the modern world today and how they compare to how they were back then. I learned that Benjamin Franklin was the first to print a political cartoon in American that advertised how the colonies should come together or die like the parts of a snake. I learned that Ben made himself bifocals, discovered the true nature of electricity, invented the lightening rod and the original device we know now as the grabber. Ben also invented things when he was boy such as wooden flippers to swim and plenty more. Ben shaped the world and his inventions are still used and seen within the modern world. This books can teach students about one of the most important historical figures in history and how he contributed to the world. ( )
  Larmand | Apr 17, 2019 |
http://www.webenglishteacher.com/now-and-ben-lesson-plans.html (discussion questions, activities, you tube link)
  ccsdss | Feb 8, 2016 |
This book was great! It is perfect to read to children because of the past and present comparisons. Picture book biographies are awesome because they introduce influential people to children in an understandable way, people they might not hear about otherwise. This book takes that a step further by introducing readers to what was made in the past and how we use it/how it exists in the future/present... this inclusion makes Ben Franklin and his contributions real and tangible for students. Great illustrations as well. ( )
  kitbraddick | Apr 20, 2015 |
This text is a completely different look at Benjamin Franklin from the “Electric Ben” text I reviewed earlier. The author chose to use creative cartoon like illustrations, include all of the inventions that we still use today and divide the book down the middle. By including colorful and vivid drawings that are similar to ones they might see on television, the author manages to draw in young readers. The author also chose to include inventions that many young students may use in their daily lives; this makes the text very relatable for readers. Finally I really enjoyed how the book was divided down the gutter, one side being “then” when Benjamin Franklin originally invented the item and the other side being “now” how those items look in the modern day. This captivating and informative text easily demonstrates the author’s main message that Benjamin Franklin, as an inventor, is still relevant to us today. ( )
  ShelbyBurton | Nov 10, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this book because of its fun illustrations and the set up of the story using a comparison between past and present. The authors utilization of comparison with a past and present scene on either side of the book spread gave readers an insight as to how Ben Franklin has truly made a difference in our world with his inventions. This presentation interested readers to really think about the content of the book. A good example of this is that on one side of the spread, the story shows someone reaching for something at the grocery store with one of Ben Franklin's inventions, and on the other it shows Ben Franklin long ago using a very old version of the invention in his library. The illustrations in this book also aided the readers comprehension of the book content by presenting the scenes in a relatable, casual way through cartoon-like drawings. This is done particularly well in the beginning of the book when an illustration presents Ben Franklin on the streets of England back in time, showing reader an accurate, but cartoon version of the scene to help them relate to the image and enjoy it. This book's main idea of how Ben Franklin's inventions may have been created long ago, but they are still relevant today and influence our lives, is delivered well through the author's presentation and great illustrations. ( )
  StephanieGrim | Nov 7, 2014 |

What would you do if you lived in a community without a library, hospital, post office, or fire department? If you were Benjamin Franklin, you’d set up these organizations yourself. Franklin also designed the lightning rod, suggested the idea of daylight saving time, invented bifocals and the odometer—all inspired by his common sense and intelligence.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:25 -0400)

Presents an introduction to the inventions of Benjamin Franklin, one of the nation's most beloved figures, credited with introducing bifocals, daylight savings time, lightning rods, and the establishment of post offices.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,339,863 books! | Top bar: Always visible