Buddhism Plain and Simple: The Practice of…

Buddhism Plain and Simple: The Practice of Being Aware, Right Now, Every… (original 1997; edition 1998)

by Steve Hagen (Author)

Buddhism Plain and Simple offers a lucid, straightforward treatise on Buddhism in general and on awareness in particular. When Buddha was asked to sum up his teaching in a single world, he said, "Awareness." The Buddha taught how to see directly into the nature of experience. His observations and insights are comprehensible, practical, and down-to-earth, and they deal exclusively with the present. The longtime teacher of Buddhism Steve Hagan presents the Buddha's uncluttered, original teachings in everyday, accessible language unencumbered by religious ritual, tradition, or belief.… (more)
Member:C_Rayburn
Title:Buddhism Plain and Simple: The Practice of Being Aware, Right Now, Every Day
Authors:Steve Hagen (Author)
Info:Broadway Books (1998), Edition: Reprint, 159 pages

Buddhism Plain and Simple by Steve Hagen (1997)

It is pleasant to read at first but got difficult towards the end. Somehow the explanation became too “up in the air” and hard to grasp. I struggled to finish the book. ( )
  parvita | Jul 10, 2018 |
From the Publisher:

“This is the clearest and most precise exposition of Buddhism I have ever read. If you’re looking for enlightenment rather than just scholarly knowledge, you’d better read this.”—Robert M. Pirsig, author of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

This is a book about awareness. It’s about being “awake” and in touch with what is going on here and now. Practical and down-to-earth, it deals exclusively with the present, not with speculation, theory, or belief in some far off time and place. The teachings of the Buddha are plain and straightforward, and because they remain focused on the moment, they are just as relevant now as they have ever been. Buddhism Plain and Simple: The Practice of Being Aware, Right Now, Every Day is the book for anyone wanting to discover, or rediscover, the essence of Buddhism.
  St-Johns-Episcopal | Aug 19, 2017 |
This book gave me insight into another level of Buddhism. As that title suggests, simple concepts, yes, however, not always simple to apply. Great reminder. ( )
  CherieKephart | Aug 3, 2017 |
I am not a believer in any God, Goddess or Deity of any kind. But I heard a description of Buddhism as simply a philosophy of how to live your life, so when I watched a few YouTube videos of the four noble truths and the eightfold path I was very interested in learning more. I picked up this book on one of the videos recommendations and could not have been more disappointed. The book felt very negative to me with the authors viewpoint that most of humans dukkha comes from a constant fear and terror of death. I found many times in the book to be in complete disagreement with the author. I think Buddhism has many offshoots and variations so maybe this book was just not the right one for me. After taking a look at others library's who rated this book low I noticed that they have given other Buddhism books a four and five star rating. ( )
  capetowncanada | Dec 16, 2016 |
There is no book. No review. No self. Only thus. ( )
  PaulBaldowski | Jan 24, 2015 |
With gratitude I dedicate this book to all beings.
As the new millennium dawns, most of us have lost faith in our ancient storybook versions of the world.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,586,587 books! | Top bar: Always visible