The Red Power Murders

by Thomas King

From the bestselling author of The Back of the Turtle and The Inconvenient Indian comes a wry and irreverent mystery Thumps DreadfulWater has never liked surprises--even the good ones are annoying. So it's no shock that a string of seemingly random occurrences is causing Thumps some real discomfort. First Noah Ridge, the Red Power Native activist, arrives in Thumps' sleepy town of Chinook. Then the body of a retired FBI agent turns up at the local Holiday Inn. In the background hovers the ghostly presence of Lucy Kettle, second-in-charge of the Red Power movement, a tough woman in a tough place until her disappearance years ago. Now the sheriff wants Thumps to trade in his photography gig for a temporary cop beat. And it won't be over, Thumps soon realizes, until everyone's dead--or famous. Hailed by critics in his first appearance, Cherokee ex-cop Thumps DreadfulWater is back in rumpled but razor-sharp form, doing his laconic, comic best to avoid trouble--and catch the bad guys. Bestselling writer Thomas King has penned a second entertaining DreadfulWater mystery, injected with the author's characteristic dry wit and biting social commentary.  … (more)

Another fun page-turner from Thomas King. Humor, mystery, and great characters. ( )
  MickeyMole | Oct 2, 2023 |
I very much enjoy the Thumps DreadfulWater series by Thomas King. Thumps is a dry-witted, measured sort of detective, a former cop who doesn’t really want to solve the mysteries that land on his doorstep but who hasn’t lost his touch. This is the third book in the series I’ve read (I started with the fourth, A Matter of Malice, then read the first book, DreadfulWater, then this one), and I found this one harder going than the other two. Perhaps shallowly, a large part of it for me was the font in the edition I was reading. It was round but also squished, and the lowercase g’s were excessively curly and broken, and the line spacing and size were not comfortable for me. So it took me longer than it might have otherwise to read this. But also I think the pool of suspects was a bit limited and the story was more about waiting for the tension to break. I did definitely like spending time with Thumps (and his cat, Freeway), and I’ve immediately requested the third book in the series (Cold Skies). This was just not my favourite book in the series. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Mar 26, 2022 |
Review of the 2017 paperback reissue

Good cozy, but I'm finding it curious that the Thumps DreadfulWater backstory is constantly hinted at but there is no follow through. That starts to seem odd now in this 2nd of the series from 2006. It will be interesting to see if something further happens in the 2018 & 2019 reboots. ( )
  alanteder | Dec 21, 2018 |
This second mystery continues the saga that is the life of Thumps DreadfulWater in small town Chinook. King's life as a Canadian sneaks out in amusing ways, which I enjoyed. The plot has its usual 'pot boiler' character, which became quite tiresome. Many amusing quotable prose pieces, though: "the optimist: a man who could find a fresh peach in a barrel of old motor oil." ( )
  SandyAMcPherson | Feb 25, 2018 |

Belongs to Series

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,740,804 books! | Top bar: Always visible