Bridget Jones's Diary - A Novel by Helen…

Bridget Jones's Diary - A Novel (original 1996; edition 1999)

by Helen Fielding

Member:box89e
Title:Bridget Jones's Diary - A Novel
Authors:Helen Fielding
Info:Penguin Books (1999), Paperback
Tags:chick lit, british

Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding (1996)

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (carlym)
    Austenland: A Novel by Shannon Hale (elbakerone)
    Campaign Ruby by Jessica Rudd (Anonymous user)
    Fathomless Riches: Or How I Went From Pop to Pulpit by Richard Coles (charl08)
    charl08: Richard Coles is (possibly) the basis for Bridget's friend, the one-hit wonder. Both the novel and biography are laugh out loud funny.
    Slightly Single by Wendy Corsi Staub (lemonfluffable)
    Lucy Talk by Fiona Walker (HazardMain)
    Sushi & Chardonnay by Yoyo van Gemerde (Talvi)

English (217)  French (3)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (3)  German (2)  Italian (1)  All (229)
You know that feeling of satisfaction when you actually can relate to the main character and you almost feel like you're the hero of the story? That sense of accomplishment and pride?

Well, let's simply say that I felt even too much related to Bridget, and I can't exactly say it was a nice feeling. Because well... she's not a woman many people would be envious of.
But since I'm not here to discuss about how sad and unlucky the main character is (or at least, not a deep analysis of her) let's focus on the book.

While it's true that some parts can be considered pretty funny (not even I have ever had so many misfortunes one after the other), it's also true that after it becomes rather repetitive and a bit unnatural.
However, if you've just finished a tough book and you need something lighter and less demanding, this is the perfect choice. Short, diary-like, simple plot, colloquial language... an easy read to make your mind rest after a challenging novel!
  Shay17 | Mar 30, 2018 |
Reread this pretty regularly in audiobook format. V influential work that has inspired my writing and lots of other books I've enjoyed. Viva Bridget Jones! ( )
  annhepburn | Mar 4, 2018 |
3.5 stars, for the many laughs. ( )
  Siubhan | Feb 28, 2018 |
This book was very good, though the format was a little annoying at first. For those interested, I think the book plot was better than the movie, only because it lacked a few of the cliches that were far more prominent in the movie. ( )
  fogisbeautiful | Feb 13, 2018 |
Finally, after all these years and RZ not even looking like Jones anymore, I read it! I have to say, I've seen the movie so many times that I had no trouble putting faces to names. This book far out-scores THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA, though, as I could read it and/or watch the movie with equal enjoyment. But I have to say the movie does a better job of creating tension between Jones and Darcy. There was still an awful lot of brand-name dropping in the book, too. Is all chick-lit like this? I don't read that much of it, but I was starting to get tired of it. Anyway, Bridget Jones and her diary are officially off my bucket list. ( )
  MsKathleen | Jan 29, 2018 |
O.K., James Joyce it may not be, but show me the woman to whom this sort of stream-of-consciousness, self-assessing mental clutter is unfamiliar and I'll show you the person who will not think ''Bridget Jones's Diary'' is both completely hilarious and spot on.

Helen Fieldingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Heesen, MarthaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Karhulahti, SariTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McPherson, TaraCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
To my mum, Nellie, for not being like Bridget's
I WILL NOT

Drink more than fourteen alcohol units a week.

Meet Bridget Jones—a 30-something Singleton who is certain she would have all the answers if she could:
a. lose 7 pounds
b. stop smoking
c. develop Inner Poise

"123 lbs. (how is it possible to put on 4 pounds in the middle of the night? Could flesh have somehow solidified becoming denser and heavier? Repulsive, horrifying notion), alcohol units 4 (excellent), cigarettes 21 (poor but will give up totally tomorrow), number of correct lottery numbers 2 (better, but nevertheless useless)..."

Bridget Jones' Diary is the devastatingly self-aware, laugh-out-loud daily chronicle of Bridget's permanent, doomed quest for self-improvement — a year in which she resolves to: reduce the circumference of each thigh by 1.5 inches, visit the gym three times a week not just to buy a sandwich, form a functional relationship with a responsible adult, and learn to program the VCR.

Over the course of the year, Bridget loses a total of 72 pounds but gains a total of 74. She remains, however, optimistic. Through it all, Bridget will have you helpless with laughter, and — like millions of readers the world round — you'll find yourself shouting, "Bridget Jones is me!"

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 014028009X, Paperback)

In the course of the year recorded in Bridget Jones's Diary, Bridget confides her hopes, her dreams, and her monstrously fluctuating poundage, not to mention her consumption of 5277 cigarettes and "Fat units 3457 (approx.) (hideous in every way)." In 365 days, she gains 74 pounds. On the other hand, she loses 72! There is also the unspoken New Year's resolution--the quest for the right man. Alas, here Bridget goes severely off course when she has an affair with her charming cad of a boss. But who would be without their e-mail flirtation focused on a short black skirt? The boss even contends that it is so short as to be nonexistent.

At the beginning of Helen Fielding's exceptionally funny second novel, the thirtyish publishing puffette is suffering from postholiday stress syndrome but determined to find Inner Peace and poise. Bridget will, for instance, "get up straight away when wake up in mornings." Now if only she can survive the party her mother has tricked her into--a suburban fest full of "Smug Marrieds" professing concern for her and her fellow "Singletons"--she'll have made a good start. As far as she's concerned, "We wouldn't rush up to them and roar, 'How's your marriage going? Still having sex?'"

This is only the first of many disgraces Bridget will suffer in her year of performance anxiety (at work and at play, though less often in bed) and living through other people's "emotional fuckwittage." Her twin-set-wearing suburban mother, for instance, suddenly becomes a chat-show hostess and unrepentant adulteress, while our heroine herself spends half the time overdosing on Chardonnay and feeling like "a tragic freak." Bridget Jones's Diary began as a column in the London Independent and struck a chord with readers of all sexes and sizes. In strokes simultaneously broad and subtle, Helen Fielding reveals the lighter side of despair, self-doubt, and obsession, and also satirizes everything from self-help books (they don't sound half as sensible to Bridget when she's sober) to feng shui, Cosmopolitan-style. She is the Nancy Mitford of the 1990s, and it's impossible not to root for her endearing heroine. On the other hand, one can only hope that Bridget will continue to screw up and tell us all about it for years and books to come. --Kerry Fried

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:02 -0400)

Bridget Jones takes readers on a tour of a hilarious year-in-the-life of a confused thirty-something singleton who would have all the answers if she could just lose seven pounds, stop smoking, and attain inner poise.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,385,116 books! | Top bar: Always visible