Just a Geek by Wil Wheaton

Just a Geek (original 2004; edition 2004)

by Wil Wheaton

8544815,040 (4)35
Member:jasonpettus
Title:Just a Geek
Authors:Wil Wheaton
Info:O'Reilly Media, Inc. (2004), Hardcover, 296 pages
Rating:*****

Just A Geek. Unflinchingly Honest Tales of the Search for Life, Love, and Fulfillment Beyond the Starship Enterprise by Wil Wheaton (2004)

English (47)  Spanish (1)  All languages (48)
I grew up watching the original Star Trek on VHS with my dad. The we watched Next Gen on TV when I was a teen. After leaving home I didn’t watch TV at all for years, and ST fell off my radar, as did Wil. Recently he came back into my line of vision as the narrator for an audiobook I adored: Ready Player One, and around the same time I started seeing him on one of my favorite shows: @midnight. It’s neat to see him as an adult, and I appreciated his honesty even when it’s incredibly awkward and uncomfortable. I think I’d like hanging out with Wil. And his other books are now on my TBR. ( )
  SoubhiKiewiet | Mar 20, 2018 |
Got this via the Humble EBook Bundle 2 (which I was actually more drawn to because of Spin and Shards of Honor)...

This was pretty easy to get into. I don't know whether this may be biased as I loved ST:TNG... but I was delightfully surprised that I wanted to continue reading beyond the first few pages.

Cool book. :) ( )
  kephradyx | Jun 20, 2017 |
A pretty good and interesting read. Wheaton has always been a great writer in the time I've been following him and this book just further cements his reputation in my mind. Riveting from start to finish I enjoyed every word. It provides a good look at the life of an actor from a cultural phenomenon such as Star Trek and how he comes to terms with that in his life, both personally and professionally. ( )
  MerkabaZA | Jun 12, 2017 |
A friend told me he was reading Wil Wheaton and my reaction was, "Really?" But, said friend has made accidental recommendations in the past (accidental, because he was just telling me what he was reading, and I wasn't looking to add to my List). But.... Confession time: I never liked the Wesley Crusher character. I didn't like STTNG for some time either, but it grew on me up to a level of "it's okay". It didn't have good writing, and as a much older man, I know that 70% of Wesley was writing, 25% directing, and maybe 5% at best, a teen actor. But I have a new respect for Wil Wheaton - the man endured a lot of nasty in the acting and fandom business. He's funny, candid, open, funny, human, and funny! I'll have to see if his website is still running. I'd be curious to read his reflections on The Big Bang Theory.

Off to find more of his writing. He's funny. He gets five stars for being entertaining and changing a paradigm. ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
Humble eBook Bundle 2
  GoldenDarter | Sep 15, 2016 |
"Not that it matters, but most of this is true."
-- William Goldman

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
for Anne
In July 2003, I was invited to Portland, Oregon, by my friend and fellow O'Reilly author, Randal Schwartz, to attend the release party for his newest book, Learning Perl Objects, References & Modules.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 059600768X, Hardcover)

Wil Wheaton has never been one to take the conventional path to success. Despite early stardom through his childhood role in the motion picture "Stand By Me", and growing up on television as Wesley Crusher on "Star Trek: The Next Generation", Wil left Hollywood in pursuit of happiness, purpose, and a viable means of paying the bills. In the oddest of places, Topeka, Kansas, Wil discovered that despite his claims to fame, he was at heart Just a Geek.

In this bestselling book, Wil shares his deeply personal and difficult journey to find himself. You'll understand the rigors, and joys, of Wil's rediscovering of himself, as he comes to terms with what it means to be famous, or, ironically, famous for once having been famous. Writing with honesty and disarming humanity, Wil touches on the frustrations associated with his acting career, his inability to distance himself from Ensign Crusher in the public's eyes, the launch of his incredibly successful web site, wilwheaton.net, and the joy he's found in writing. Through all of this, Wil shares the ups and downs he encountered along the journey, along with the support and love he discovered from his friends and family.

The stories in Just a Geek include:

Wil's plunge from teen star to struggling actor Discovering the joys of HTML, blogging, Linux, and web design The struggle between Wesley Crusher, Starfleet ensign, and Wil Wheaton, author and blogger Gut-wrenching reactions to the 9-11 disaster Moving tales of Wil's relationships with his wife, step-children, and extended family The transition from a B-list actor to an A-list author

Wil Wheaton--celebrity, blogger, and geek--writes for the geek in all of us. Engaging, witty, and pleasantly self-deprecating, Just a Geek will surprise you and make you laugh.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:01 -0400)

O'Reilly Media

An edition of this book was published by O'Reilly Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,999,522 books! | Top bar: Always visible