Santa Olivia

by Jacqueline Carey

Series: Santa Olivia (1)

"A SF/fantasy novel set in the near future and featuring a young woman with special genetically engineered 'wolf-like' powers"--Provided by publisher.
    Adaptation by Malinda Lo (knotbox)
    knotbox: A story of girls in love, a military conspiracy, inhumans, and friends who stick with you.
    Flight of Shadows by Sigmund Brouwer (whitewavedarling)
    whitewavedarling: Though the writing styles and scopes are different, and Flight of Shadows is the sequel of Brouwer's earlier work Broken Angel, readers of one of these books will likely find the other worth diving into. Similar character types and situations make the books well-matched for each other as quick new-world reads that explore the ethics and moralities of a newer and more classed version of our familiar reality. It's worth noting, though, that while Santa Olivia is absolutely appropriate for young adult readers, Flight of Shadows contains graphic violence that you may or may not want to pass on to your teenager--certainly, I read far worse as a teenager, but you might not want your young adult to come across some of the material in Flight of Shadows without reading it first.… (more)
    Girl in the Arena by Lise Haines (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For a different take on girls coming of age amid involvement in violent competitive sports.
    The Cage by A.M. Dellamonica (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: Another story featuring lesbianism and werewolves, which is freely available online here.
    Broken Angel by Sigmund Brouwer (whitewavedarling)
    whitewavedarling: While the writing styles and scopes are different, both show a new world order as experienced through a strong and somewhat outcast female heroine. Fans of one should search out the other.
    Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J. K. Rowling (whitewavedarling)
    whitewavedarling: Santa Olivia is admittedly built for a more mature audience, but the themes, character types, and situations in the Harry Potter series and in Carey's work make me believe a reader who enjoys one will likely enjoy the other. Santa Olivia, though, is not a traditional fantasy, but more in the lines of speculative fiction, so that fantasy-only readers who enjoy Harry Potter for primarily the inclusion of magic may not enjoy Carey's work. I'm recommending it with this Harry Potter book in particular since, for me, this was the book when the series took a leap toward becoming more adult. Santa Olivia is also probably the beginning of a forthcoming series.… (more)
    Harry Potter: The Complete Collection (Books 1-7) by J. K. Rowling (whitewavedarling)
    The Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis (whitewavedarling)
    whitewavedarling: Santa Olivia is admittedly for a more adult-based audience, but themes, situations, and character types carry over between the works enough (plus a light integration of religion) that I think the readers of one work set would be well suited for the other.… (more)

Santa Olivia is the first novel in the Santa Olivia series by Jacqueline Carey.

Plot:
Santa Olivia is a small town caught in the no man’s land between the USAmerican and the Mexican border wall. Officially, neither the town, nor its people exist – there is just the USAmerican military base next to it. And yet, here they are. Among the people in Santa Olivia is Loup, daughter of an escaped enhanced human out of a military project and one of the poor women of Santa Olivia who fell in love with the fugitive. But her father had to move on and her mother died, so Loup only has her bigger half-brother Tom to take care of her. Growing up in an orphanage, careful not to show the superstrength and -speed that she inherited from her father, Loup soon finds that the town may be in need of a hero. Only, what can a single hero really do?

I remember grabbing Santa Olivia a few years ago from a bargain bin somewhere and having finally read it, I am very glad I did. It is an interesting take on superheros, set in a highly political world and has a queer protagonist. It’s basically everything I could have hoped for.

Read more on my blog: https://kalafudra.com/2021/01/08/santa-olivia-jacqueline-carey/ ( )
  kalafudra | Jan 8, 2021 |
Santa Olivia isn't a bad book. It's way better than Kushiel's Dart, which Carey is best known for and which I couldn't make it through. But Santa Olivia is an odd book, and not in a necessarily good way. It's hard to put my finger on what exactly doesn't work, but if I had to describe my feelings towards this book, I'd simply say, "It's ok." Not bad, nothing blatantly wrong, but just ok. ( )
  miri12 | May 31, 2019 |
Carey leaves the fantasy utopia of her Kushiel series for a future dystopia of a long barricaded town on the US/Mexico border. There aren't many surprises in the story of Loup the by-blow of a genetically modified soldier. It sometimes chugs along slowly. I liked her but she was just a little boring. ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
This book was a surprise for me. I wasn't sure if I would like it as much I did by the end. It was a really interesting take on a werewolf story and a heroine. Really refreshing to have a heroine who isn't straight too. ( )
  rabidgummibear | Nov 28, 2018 |
Interesting! Queer, engrossing, and vivid. ( )
  emeraldreverie | Nov 15, 2018 |
Jacqueline Carey's new novel is set in a near-future DMZ between America and Mexico - and her new heroine kicks ass. Superstrong and unable to feel fear, Loup is a genetic experiment gone right.
added by PhoenixTerran | editio9, Annalee Newitz (May 16, 2009)

I highly recommend Santa Olivia, not only to Carey's current fans, but to anyone who enjoys an outstanding, gripping, and in many ways credible near-future thriller.

Belongs to Series

They said that the statue of Our Lady of the Sorrows wept tears of blood the day the sickness came to Santa Olivia. The people said that God had turned his face away from humankind. They said that saints remember what God forgets about human suffering.
After you, it's all cheap tequila.

Hachette Book Group

An edition of this book was published by Hachette Book Group.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,867,010 books! | Top bar: Always visible