A Shining Thread of Hope by Darlene Clark…

A Shining Thread of Hope (original 1998; edition 1999)

by Darlene Clark Hine

At the greatest moments and in the cruelest times, black women have been a crucial part of America's history.  Now, the inspiring history of black women in America is explored in vivid detail by two leaders in the fields of African American and women's history. A Shining Thread of Hope chronicles the lives of black women from indentured servitude in the early American colonies to the cruelty of antebellum plantations, from the reign of lynch law in the Jim Crow South to the triumphs of the Civil Rights era, and it illustrates how the story of black women in America is as much a tale of courage and hope as it is a history of struggle.  On both an individual and a collective level, A Shining Thread of Hope reveals the strength and spirit of black women and brings their stories from the fringes of American history to a central position in our understanding of the forces and events that have shaped this country.… (more)
Member:soulstrings
Title:A Shining Thread of Hope
Authors:Darlene Clark Hine
Info:Broadway (1999), Paperback, 368 pages

Work Information

A Shining Thread of Hope: The History of Black Women in America by Darlene Clark Hine (1998)

Wow! This book is so interesting! Fun and inspiring to read, it has a nice mix of general history and biographical stories. ( )
1 vote allisonbaird | Jan 18, 2009 |
An extraordinary history of black women in America that reminds us all of the power we all have to use our resources to improve our lives and that of our communities. This should be required reading for all Americans. ( )
1 vote nancypeske | Oct 17, 2007 |

Darlene Clark Hineprimary authorall editionscalculated
Thompson, Kathleenmain authorall editionsconfirmed

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 207,543,358 books! | Top bar: Always visible