A Guide to the Good Life: The Ancient Art of…

A Guide to the Good Life: The Ancient Art of Stoic Joy (edition 2008)

by William B. Irvine (Author)

Member:shakazul
Title:A Guide to the Good Life: The Ancient Art of Stoic Joy
Authors:William B. Irvine (Author)
Info:Oxford University Press (2008), Edition: 1, 336 pages
Collections:Your library, Read
Rating:*****
Tags:stoicism, philosophy

A Guide to the Good Life: The Ancient Art of Stoic Joy by William B Irvine

Recently added bydaaawx, jcarranza, robbomerchant, Indofreezer, private library, eppp, sbnicar, terrythomas, nucholab

This book took me forever to get through. It is gift-book sized and has fewer than 300 pages, but it was a slog. Some of the information was interesting, for sure, but if Professor Irvine’s understanding of Stoicism is correct, there are definitely a few things that I definitely disagree with.

The book starts with a bit of a background on Stoicism, and how it is misunderstood. Since we commonly use the word stoic to mean unemotional and humorless, Prof. Irvine argues that this is not what the Stoics were all about. They can control their emotions, and try not to waste energy on things beyond their control, but at the same time they still experience joy.

The goal for the Stoics is tranquility, and it is achieved through a few different tactics. One is negative visualization, which is where you picture the things you love going away. The goal is to appreciate them while you have them, yet recognizing that at some point they will be gone. It might seem a little dark, but I kind of get it.

Another tactic is focusing our desires on things within our control. We should be able to identify what is totally outside of our control and never worry about that. We should instead focus on things that are wholly within our control (what we do) and somewhat within out control. So instead of creating a goal of being the best X in the world (which is outside of our control), we should focus on being the X we can be. Then if we aren’t the best X in the world we will know its because of things we couldn’t change anyway. That, too, seems useful.

There’s an air of fatalism in Stoicism. There’s also a weird sort of libertarian / Scientology component. At least, that’s the best way I could describe it. I spent on chapter just infuriated by this white guy talking about how most people are unhappy because they let themselves be unhappy, and they should just not let the external world get to them. He laments being politically correct which, if you’ve read some of my other book reviews or comments on Pajiba, you know is the quickest way to get me to stop taking you seriously. If you think being respectful of other people is somehow a bad thing, or that we shouldn’t ask people to be responsible for how their actions and words affect others, then we don’t really have much to say to each other.

There are some things in here that are helpful, and I might try to incorporate into my life philosophy, but I’m certainly not interested in his version of Stoicism. ( )
  ASKelmore | Jul 9, 2017 |
Easily accessible, personal, and compelling. Sometimes Irvine doth protest too much about what he no longer cares about, but he was convincing about being on the right track. ( )
  Mark-Bailey | Jul 1, 2017 |
  torreyhouse | Jul 1, 2017 |
'A Guide to the Good Life' reformulates stoicism for the modern times. The Greek and Roman forms of stoicism connected traditional philosophic thought like "how did the world came to be?" "why are we here?" with practical advice of how to live a good life. This kind of advice is mostly absent from today's philosophy.

The main goal of a stoic life is acquiring and maintaining tranquility. It's specifically not about pursuing and fulfilling your desires. This is, according to stoics, a dead end, because fulfilling your desires just begets more desires. Instead, you can learn to be content with what you already have. It doesn't mean living like a monk. But it can remove the dissatisfaction with the current state of affairs.

I was already familiar with ideas of stoicism, but stoic exercises and techniques were new to me. The chapter about dealing with insults was especially interesting. I've never heard any advice on this topic before. ( )
  automatthias | Jun 19, 2017 |
Love the topic and it's good to see it from a modern perspective, but I feel that its focus would be improved by further editing.
  jcrben | May 3, 2017 |
In memory of Charlie Doyle, who taught me to keep my head in the boat even when I'm not rowing.
What do you want out of life?

In A Guide to the Good Life, William B. Irvine plumbs the wisdom of Stoic philosophy, one of the most popular and successful schools of thought inancient Rome, and shows how its insight and advice are still remarkably applicable to modern lives.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,968,151 books! | Top bar: Always visible