Sand Sharks by Margaret Maron

The Umpteenth entry in the Judge Deborah Knott series, and it was a pretty good one, set this time in a beach-y town where a semi-annual conference of judges is taking place. Unfortunately at least one of their Honors won't be around to attend the next one. Nobody is terribly upset that he's gone, but of course they need to find out who and why. I love Deborah, and I hope I'm not getting burned out on these, but I did have a few quibbles with this one. First of all, Maron broke a cardinal rule, at least twice---two little bits of business tucked into the story line gave me that "this is gonna matter later" feeling, but one was never mentioned again and the other just remained an ongoing bit of business with no significance whatsoever. You know that gun over the mantel in Act One has to be fired before the play is over, right Margaret? Oh, well... Second of all, I've never attended a big ole conference of any kind, but the district judges of North Carolina seemed to have an awful lot of unscheduled time on their hands at this one. Days of it, not just a free afternoon set aside for fun. I don't mean to put anyone off this series; it's been great reading, and I'm still keen to follow Deb'rah as she goes. If you read in order and get this far, you can make up your own mind anyway.
Reviewed August 2016 ( )
  laytonwoman3rd | Oct 1, 2016 |
I enjoyed listening to this audiobook. I'm a sucker for books set in North Carolina! I'm not sure that this is my favorite Margaret Maron book, but is was a good listen over the last few days. I'd recommend it, especially for readers/listeners familiar with the Wilmington area. ( )
  dukefan86 | May 29, 2013 |
The annual conference for NC district judges, which meets in Wrightsville Beach, is a good excuse for partying and politicking. At least, for those who can resist the beach and many seem to have come early for that purpose.

The first night of the weekend ends in the murder of a crooked judge and the obvious suspects are all judges. When a second judge is the victim of an intentional hit and run, things get edgy. ( )
  cfk | May 8, 2013 |
Amazon preorder
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |
It's always a pleasure to read another book featuring Judge Deborah Knott. After several books in a row during which Deborah was surrounded by family and her new husband and stepson, [b:Sand Sharks|6125014|Sand Sharks|Margaret Maron|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Egrghe5jL._SL75_.jpg|6303481] finds her "escaping" to the Carolina coast for a judges' conference, while Dwight and Cal visit Cal's old home in Virginia to tie up some loose ends there. Arriving early for a committee meeting and some sun and swimming, Deborah meets up with old friends, catches up on judicial gossip, and then finds a body. It's that of a fairly new judge who seems to have hit a new low in judicial standards. There are a lot of people who might have wanted to kill him. Whereas her husband, Deputy Dwight Bryant, usually tries to keep her out of investigations, an acquaintance of Dwight's who's on the local force actually asks her to help him out. Lots of suspects, great characters, and the seaside setting make this a very good entry in this fine series. ( )
  auntieknickers | Apr 3, 2013 |
Margaret Maron, as usual, writes bubbling, fascinating characters, and Knott's investigation is thorough.

Margaret Maron can make anyone homesick for North Carolina — even if you come from Connecticut.

Here's to the land of the long leaf pine,
The summer land where the sun
doth shine,
Where the weak grow strong and
the strong grow great,
Here's to "down home,"
the Old North State!

- Official North Carolina Toast
To North Carolina
which has given me more than I can
ever repay.

I should never have suggested perfume.

Judge Deborah Knott travels to Wrightsville Beach for a conference for North Carolina District Court judges, while her husband, Sheriff's Deputy Dwight Bryant, is in Virginia with his son, tying up loose ends left by the death of his first wife. After dinner with friends, Deborah stumbles upon the body of one of her colleagues. When another judge is critically injured, it becomes evident that Deborah may be the next target. Her trip transforms into a harrowing experience, and she must summon all of her investigative expertise to track down the culprit before she becomes the next victim.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0446196118, Hardcover)

When Judge Deborah Knott travels to Wrightsville Beach for a summer conference for North Carolina District Court Judges, she stumbles upon the body of one of her colleagues. Meanwhile, Deborah's husband, Sheriff's Deputy Dwight Bryant, is in Virginia with his son, tying up loose ends left by the death of his first wife. When another judge is found murdered at the conference, it soon becomes evident that Deborah may be the killer's next target. Her relaxing trip to the seaside soon transforms into a harrowing experience, and she must summon all of her strength and investigative expertise to track down the culprit before she becomes the next victim.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:15 -0400)

Anticipating a vacation, Judge Deborah Knott travels to Wrightsville Beach to join her husband and son only to stumble on a murder scene, a situation that is further complicated by growing suspicions that Deborah is a target.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,652,173 books! | Top bar: Always visible