The Gingerbread Pirates by Kristin Kladstrup

The Gingerbread Pirates (edition 2010)

by Kristin Kladstrup (Author)

When Jim's gingerbread pirate, Captain Cookie, comes alive, the tasty treat prepares to battle Santa Claus, who likes to eat cookies on Christmas Eve.
Member:NCFLTCLIB
Title:The Gingerbread Pirates
Authors:Kristin Kladstrup (Author)
Info:Scholastic (2010)

The Gingerbread Pirates by Kristin Kladstrup

Love how this book walks you through the life of a pirate cookie. How big the world seems and how many unknowns there are for the captain and his crew. This is a great book for students who love to dream and imagine what it would be like if their toys came to life. ( )
  cloub | Dec 7, 2020 |
Kind of a cute idea, but I had to do some regendering so that there was a LITTLE more gender diversity among the male child, the male gingerbread pirate captain, the male crew, the male santa claus .... Luckily Santa is easy to regender. ( )
  adaq | Dec 25, 2019 |
When Jim and his mother make gingerbread men for Santa's visit one Christmas Eve, the young boy asks that they make the cookies in the form of pirates. Keeping Captain Cookie for himself, Jim falls asleep while the sweet creation mulls on what he has heard of this cookie-eating cannibal known as Santa. Determined to rescue the other gingerbread pirates, the captain sets out on an epic journey, one in which he learns a little bit about what Christmas is, and finds himself transformed into something a little more permanent...

With Christmas cookies, Santa's midnight visit, and pirates - what's not to love?!? The Gingerbread Pirates pairs an entertaining and creative seasonal story from author Kristin Kladstrup with appealing artwork from illustrator Matt Tavares, who, amongst other titles, has also produced an edition of T'was the Night Before Christmas. Recommended to young cookie and/or pirate lovers who are in the market for magical Christmas stories. ( )
1 vote AbigailAdams26 | Nov 14, 2019 |
While looking for a Christmas book other than a Nickelodeon-esque retelling of The Night Before Christmas at BN last night, I found this and knew my littles would love it, and they did! Luckily I enjoyed it too, since they want me to read it every night before bed until Christmas (and probably after as well!)

twileteyes | Feb 4, 2016 |
If your child is anything like my 2-going-on-3 little girl, this will be a hit for you. It combines two of her favorite things--Christmas and pirates--into an enjoyable narrative. One of the attractive features of the narrative is that many pages end on a "cliff-hanger" (such as: "What Captain Cookie saw next ASTONISHED him...") that make it very good for dramatic bedtime reading. (Until she memorized the story, my excitable daughter would follow up these lines with "What's going to HAPPEN, Daddy?!" Adorable. Now, instead, I will ask her to tell me what comes next before turning the page. She likes that, too.)

A couple of caveats. The first time we read it, I had to reassure my daughter that Santa was not going to actually eat the living gingerbread cookies, but once we had made it through the first time, she was less apprehensive. For a child of my daughter's age, I had to make a few substitutions--"sword" instead of "cutlass," for instance--and I thought it was a good idea to drop the word "cannibal" as applied to Santa Claus. Other than that, I can recommend this book unreservedly. ( )
  middlemarchhare | Nov 25, 2015 |

Kristin Kladstrupprimary authorall editionscalculated
Tavares, MattIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,358,372 books! | Top bar: Always visible