Moneyball by Michael Lewis

Moneyball (original 2003; edition 2011)

by Michael Lewis

Member:lcottereau
Title:Moneyball
Authors:Michael Lewis
Info:W. W. Norton & Company (2011), Paperback, 317 pages
Collections:Your digital library
Rating:****1/2

Moneyball: The Art of Winning an Unfair Game by Michael Lewis (2003)

Dollar Sign on the Muscle: The World of Baseball Scouting by Kevin Kerrane (bostonian71)
    bostonian71: A good look at how baseball scouts work and what they look for, and an interesting counterpoint to the stats-based approach described in Moneyball.
    The Extra 2%: How Wall Street Strategies Took a Major League Baseball Team from Worst to First by Jonah Keri (tmarlow05)
    tmarlow05: Details the rise of the Tampa Bay Rays. Shows how techniques used on Wall Street can be utilized to put together a competitive baseball team.
    Born to run: the hidden tribe, the ultra-runners and the greatest race the world has never seen by Christopher McDougall (zhejw)
    zhejw: Both books are stories of outsiders changing the conventional way of approaching a sport. Both authors write compelling narratives that draw the reader into the stories of the individuals who are at the center of this new way of looking at their sport.
    Soccernomics: Why England Loses, Why Germany and Brazil Win, and Why the U.S., Japan, Australia, Turkey--and Even Iraq--Are Destined to Become the Kings of the World's Most Popular Sport by Simon Kuper (chazzard)
    chazzard: The authors of Soccernomics frequently refer to Moneyball, and apply similar statistical methods.
    Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything by Steven D. Levitt (tcarter)

English (106)  Spanish (1)  All (107)
Moneyball resultó para mí ser un libro bastante interesante e informativo, se sintió bien atrasar el tiempo hasta esa temporada del 2002 y sentarse en las oficinas de los directivos del equipo y escucharlos charlar, discutir y tomar decisiones, sentirse parte del staff y conocer cómo funciona un equipo desde adentro.

Es un libro difícil de soltar, bastante adictivo y muchas veces me veía buscando información en la Internet, complementando por mí mismo informaciones ofrecidas en el texto. Confirmando detalles, comparando hechos, analizando estadísticas y estudiando el progreso actual de muchos de los jugadores mencionados.

Pero dado a lo complejo del deporte y a las matemáticas y aplicadas estadísticas (que, aunque no lo crean, es una gran parte del juego) quizás es un libro que muchos evitarán… Pero para los pocos amantes verdaderos del deporte, aquellos que les gusta extender un poco más el brazo y alcanzar lo que está fuera de lo ordinario, Moneyball es una joya que se valorará en cada pasar de página. ( )
  JorgeLC | Apr 28, 2018 |
Oh the joy of talking about sports!

Somehow, even if you know NOTHING (I had to look up what a catcher was... I know NOTHING) you begin to develop, incredibly, these... these SPORTS OPINIONS. Which is fascinating! It got to the point where I would have a beer with my husband at a bar or restaurant and then start immediately talking about baseball. I know I am a stranger to you, but let me assure you that this is an odd thing for me to start doing. A very, very odd thing.

Opinions on this book/baseball (this book is all I know about baseball, so they are the same thing):

1. There are many ways to figure out baseball statistics, and no one really knows what to do with them, really. Some may be better than others, but better ones can always be found. Maybe another team figured out a better one! Maybe use an old one that exploits some current weakness in the sport. And then blah blah blah. So much about statistics and sports that I admittedly don't understand.

2. Lewis is really praising Beane a lot in this book. I think Beane is just OK. Did very well with what he had, in finding overlooked bargains. But what an ego! But there's nice little human interest stories of the players that fit the narrative of the underdog doing well. It's a baseball book, it's gonna have stories of the underdog doing well. But how well did they actually do IRL? Eh. That guy who hit the home run in the end only played 11 times in the big leagues. But, to be fair no one thought we would get that far... I guess.

3. Hahah the bit about how derivatives are awesome when like 6 years later he writes [book:The Big Short: Inside the Doomsday Machine|26889576].

4. I really have to watch the movie. I would forgive the movie many things I would be irritated at in book form. Also it has Brad Pitt playing Beane.

5. I got the feeling in the book that I was being manipulated by omitted facts and misplaced emphasis. Like Michael Lewis had his conclusion (underdogs win... dammit this is a baseball story!) and built the narrative towards that. I don't care about this in a movie. I expect it in a movie.

6. The rich are going to get what they want because they are rich.

Joanna.Oyzon | Apr 17, 2018 |
Since I like both baseball and rational decision making, I really enjoyed this book. The book was as good as the movie, maybe even a little bit better because it was more realistic. The only thing I missed was how this fits into baseball today. I did see that one of the newer GMs, in the the Billy Beane mold, was Theo Epstein who helped the Red Sox win the Series and then the Cubs. So you figure that at least for some teams, rational decision making is catching on. ( )
  phyllis2779 | Dec 16, 2017 |
The writing was interesting, but I think you really have to be a baseball fan to enjoy this book, and I'm not. ( )
  sarahy531 | Aug 16, 2017 |
Great book about using statistics to build a baseball team with objectives and less money. Interesting to read and lots of great insights. ( )
  ShadowBarbara | Jan 27, 2017 |

Michael Lewisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Neugarten, RobertTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lately in a wreck of a Californian ship, one of the
passengers fastened a belt about him with two hundred
pounds of gold in it, with which he was found afterwards
at the bottom. Now, as he was sinking-- had he the gold?
or the gold him?
--John Ruskin, Unto This Last
For Billy Fitzgerald
I can still hear him shouting at me
The first thing they always did was run you.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0393324818, Paperback)

Billy Beane, general manager of MLB's Oakland A's and protagonist of Michael Lewis's Moneyball, had a problem: how to win in the Major Leagues with a budget that's smaller than that of nearly every other team. Conventional wisdom long held that big name, highly athletic hitters and young pitchers with rocket arms were the ticket to success. But Beane and his staff, buoyed by massive amounts of carefully interpreted statistical data, believed that wins could be had by more affordable methods such as hitters with high on-base percentage and pitchers who get lots of ground outs. Given this information and a tight budget, Beane defied tradition and his own scouting department to build winning teams of young affordable players and inexpensive castoff veterans.

Lewis was in the room with the A's top management as they spent the summer of 2002 adding and subtracting players and he provides outstanding play-by-play. In the June player draft, Beane acquired nearly every prospect he coveted (few of whom were coveted by other teams) and at the July trading deadline he engaged in a tense battle of nerves to acquire a lefty reliever. Besides being one of the most insider accounts ever written about baseball, Moneyball is populated with fascinating characters. We meet Jeremy Brown, an overweight college catcher who most teams project to be a 15th round draft pick (Beane takes him in the first). Sidearm pitcher Chad Bradford is plucked from the White Sox triple-A club to be a key set-up man and catcher Scott Hatteberg is rebuilt as a first baseman. But the most interesting character is Beane himself. A speedy athletic can't-miss prospect who somehow missed, Beane reinvents himself as a front-office guru, relying on players completely unlike, say, Billy Beane. Lewis, one of the top nonfiction writers of his era (Liar's Poker, The New New Thing), offers highly accessible explanations of baseball stats and his roadmap of Beane's economic approach makes Moneyball an appealing reading experience for business people and sports fans alike. --John Moe

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:25 -0400)

This book explains how Billy Beene, the general manager of the Oakland Athletics, is using a new kind of thinking to build a successful and winning baseball team without spending enormous sums of money. The author examines the fallacy behind the major league baseball refrain that the team with the biggest wallet is supposed to win. Over the past four years the Oakland Athletics, a major league team with a minor league payroll, have had one of the best records in the country. General Manager Billy Beene is putting into practice on the field revolutionary principles to build his team that have been concocted by geek statisticians and college professors, rather than using the old scouting technique called "gut instinct." The author takes us behind the scenes with the Oakland A's, into the dugouts, and into the conference rooms where the annual Major League draft is held by conference call, and rumor mongering is par for the course as each team jockeys for position for their favored player.I wrote this book because I fell in love with a story. The story concerned a small group of undervalued professional baseball players and executives, many of whom had been rejected as unfit for the big leagues, who had turned themselves into one of the most successful franchises in Major League Baseball. But the idea for the book came well before I had good reason to write it, before I had a story to fall in love with. It began, really, with an innocent question: how did one of the poorest teams in baseball, the Oakland Athletics, win so many games? This book is a quest for something as elusive as the Holy Grail, something that money apparently can't buy: the secret of success in baseball.… (more)

W.W. Norton

3 editions of this book were published by W.W. Norton.

Editions: 0393324818, 0393057658, 0393338398

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,539,607 books! | Top bar: Always visible