On the Pulse of Morning by Maya Angelou

On the Pulse of Morning (original 1993; edition 1993)

by Maya Angelou (Author)

A beautifully packaged hardcover edition of the poem that captivated the nation and quickly became a national bestseller. From the Trade Paperback edition.
Member:shabay3
Title:On the Pulse of Morning
Authors:Maya Angelou (Author)
Info:Random House (1993)

On the Pulse of Morning by Maya Angelou (1993)

One of the greatest poems ever read at a Presidential Inauguration was this work by Maya Angelou. ( )
  atufft | Jul 13, 2019 |
A moving poem of historic value. ( )
  Maydacat | Jul 20, 2015 |
Reading this doesn't compare to hearing it, although there are some fun phrases that sound just as good in the voice in your head as in Maya Angelou's voice (Each of you, a bordered country; No less to you now than the mastodon then). ( )
2 vote bexaplex | Apr 2, 2009 |
I can't read this without remembering her reading it herself, aloud, for President Clinton's inauguration. I hear it in her voice, even all of these years later. I think that might have been the first swearing in I actually watched, and so it's fitting that it's still the one I remember best. This poem still gives me goose bumps.
2 vote ntempest | Jun 2, 2007 |
Maya Angelou's extraordinary biographies, including "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings," were already part of college English and Humanities courses when former President Bill Clinton tagged her to write "On the Pulse of Morning" for his January 20, 1993 inauguration ceremony. Despite debates regarding whether Angelou is a better prose writer than she is a poet, her inauguration poem is among few, penned by modern poets, that can claim the status of "modern classic." The poet's recital of the work is powerfully majestic and beautifully inspiring.

Aberjhani
author of "I Made My Boy Out of Poetry"
"Encyclopedia of the Harlem Renaissance"
and "Visions of a Skylark Dressed in Black" ( )
3 vote Aberjhani | Dec 20, 2006 |

"The Inaugural Poem" on top of cover, first page states "Read by the poet at the Inauguration of William Jefferson Clinton 20 January 1993."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,705,767 books! | Top bar: Always visible