Joenes' wonderbaarlijke reis by Robert…

Joenes' wonderbaarlijke reis (original 1962; edition 1974)

by Robert Sheckley

The Journey of Joenes , also published as Journey Beyond Tomorrow , tells the tale of a picaresque journey through an imagined future taken by a naive and innocent man unprepared for the wonders and oddities he encounters. Sheckley examines the present through the distorting lens of a future wonderfully skewed from, and yet darkly, hilariously similar to, our own world. From the very beginning of his career, Robert Sheckley was recognized by fans, reviewers, and fellow authors as a master storyteller and the wittiest satirist working in the science fiction field. Open Road is proud to republish his acclaimed body of work, with nearly thirty volumes of full-length fiction and short story collections. Rediscover, or discover for the first time, a master of science fiction who, according to the New York Times , was "a precursor to Douglas Adams." "I have always loved Robert Sheckley. . . . I don't know of anyone else in SF who has written quite so many classic stories . . . wittier than Pohl . . . blacker than Lenny Bruce, subtler and more bent that the Firesigns and Monty Python put together . . . The key words with Sheckley are clever, deadly cool and crazy as a bedbug." ?Spider Robinson… (more)
Member:MissusB
Title:Joenes' wonderbaarlijke reis
Authors:Robert Sheckley
Info:Bruna
Tags:science fiction

Journey Beyond Tomorrow by Robert Sheckley (1962)

Recently added bymajackson, private library, HanJie, BookHavenAZ, ez_reader, insomnivc, ttuckerman, Horrortorte

English (3)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (5)
This is one very strange book. Machines were supposed to have taken over the world with one man fighting against them. However, the machines do not figure into the story until near the end. If this was about the absurdity of beauracracy, then it succeded. but not really worth the effort. ( )
  LamSon | Jun 2, 2011 |
Sheckley at his best was one of the funniest writers in science fiction. This book offers plenty of at times biting and frequently absurd satire, taking aim at just about every component of 1960s America (from hippies to healthcare to justice to academia to government to the military and more). All this in the context of the Cold War and imminent nuclear holocaust.

I found it a little bit slow to get going, but then it hit its stride about 30 pages in and kept me consistently laughing (or at least consistently grinning) through page 100 or so. The last third of the book, starting when our protagonist Joenes leaves academia to go work for the US government, was increasingly bleak, and I found it neither particularly funny nor particularly on target.

I'd like to think that the cover blurbs of the 1962 Dell edition were intended to be toungue-in-cheek, since they had nothing to do with 95% of this story, and little to do with the other 5%. ( )
1 vote clong | Mar 11, 2009 |
Another Pringle list book.
Ehhh...
I love a good 60s American satire, but this one feels a little dated. His most sharpened barbs are directed at the academia, and that for me was the most interesting section of the book. In general, not really funny enough or confrontational enough to have a lot of relevance today.
I suppose it's worth a look ; it's short enough, but I'm having a hard time giving it more than two and a half stars ( )
1 vote arthurfrayn | Jan 16, 2009 |

Sheckley, Robertprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bergen, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lehr, Paul, 1930-1998.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Negretti, AndreinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Robertson, StuartCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thole, KarelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Joenes's fabulous world is more than a thousand years behind us, in the remote and misty past.
Variant Titles: Journey Beyond Tomorrow and Journey of Joenes
According to the copyright page of my Dell paperback, the version published as Journey of Joenes is abridged.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,856,268 books! | Top bar: Always visible