dismiss

Columbine

by Dave Cullen

Ten years in the making and a masterpiece of reportage, "Columbine" is an award-winning journalist's definitive account of one of the most shocking massacres in American history.

Before 9/11, we thought Columbine would define our generation. I was in 8th grade and listened to a lot of the same music that was blamed for the shootings. All of America got caught up in an idea of what a school-shooter was, of what happened in Columbine. It turns out that through cover-ups, sensationalism and mismanagement, we learned a list of "reasons" for Columbine that had little to do with the truth. For instance, Columbine was a premeditated and planned bombing that failed, not 2 kids who snapped and brought guns to school.

This is a perfect example of a well written history. It took over a decade for all the facts and stories to come to light. Cullen somehow manages to pack all of it into a total page-turner of a book. The use of foreshadowing with multiple threads of a story that we already know (but don't know!) was well done.

1 vote mitchtroutman | Jun 14, 2020 |
This is a hard book to read, it is chilling and devastating, and I was crying most of the time I was reading it. However, it is an important book, that has a deep dive into what really happened. It clears up a lot of the myths and misconceptions. I also appreciate that it tells the stories of the survivors and their resilience and healing. ( )
  queenofthebobs | May 21, 2020 |
Were you in high school in the aughts? You'll probably be interested. ( )
1 vote jostie13 | May 14, 2020 |
This was such a engaging piece of writing that it was next to impossible to put down.
The psychological insight behind the instigators of the Columbine shootings, Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, are both complex and confusing, making this a powerful read to the very last page. ( )
  Kayla.Krantz | Feb 14, 2020 |
The drastically sad shooting of the thirteen innocent kids at Columbine high school is represented in the novel by Dave Cullen “Columbine”. Cullen creates a jaw dropping and surprising attitude in his novel. Yes, surprising. What everyone had thought was their motive behind it, it wasn’t. Cullen develops his story by using the true facts and not what the media had said on why they did what they did. He gets specific writings from the shooters and evidence from one of the top forensic scientists. If you want to find out more about this horrific day and feel like you are a witness to it I recommend reading this book.
1 vote minsinga | Nov 5, 2019 |
The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong at the broken places.
-- Ernest Hemingway, A Farewell to Arms
I am a wicked man. . . . But do you know, gentlemen, what was the main point about my wickedness? The whole thing, precisely was, the greatest nastiness precisely lay in my being shamefully conscious every moment, even in moments of the greatest bile, that I was not only not a wicked man but was not even an embittered man, that I was simply frightening sparrows in vain, and pleasing myself with it.
--Fyodor Dostoevsky, Notes from Underground

For Rachel, Danny, Dave, Cassie, Steven, Corey, Kelly, Matthew, Daniel, Isaiah, John, Lauren, and Kyle. And for Patrick, for giving me hope.
He told them he loved them. Each and every one of them.

Provides an account of the shootings at Colorado's Columbine High School on April 20, 1999, focusing on the teenage killers Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, drawing from interviews, police files, psychological studies, and writings and tapes by the boys to look at the signs they left that disaster was looming.

Dave Cullen is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,598,268 books! | Top bar: Always visible