Columbine by Dave Cullen

Title:Columbine
Authors:Dave Cullen
Info:Twelve (2009), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 432 pages

Columbine by Dave Cullen

Wow. This is one that will stay with me for a while. I'm not sure what, exactly, drew me to this book- I was looking for a riveting piece of nonfiction with good reviews, and I sure got one. It was disturbing on so many levels, and not just because of Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold. I think that the thing I was most shocked by was that the truth of the situation was so incredibly different than what was reported in the media. It was a fascinating and disturbing read. As a teacher and a mother, I don't think I will be able to get this out of my mind for some time. ( )
1 vote kweber319 | May 13, 2019 |
An interesting telling of the events surrounding the Columbine tragedy and some of the victims (survivors and deceased). The events are told as a story and uses primary sources (such as journals from the shooters and their families) to make the story easier to read. But, that gets lost in the time-shifting storyline. We learn the backstory of the shooters, then switch to the events of the shooting, then the backstory of some of the victims, then the backstory of the shooters.... If I wasn't paying careful attention, details were lost. However, I thought the author tried to respect the families of all the victims (including the families of the shooters) and tried to give multiple sides of the story. ( )
  jguidry | Mar 12, 2019 |
I had all kinds of thoughts and feeling during this book. It is shocking how inaccurately the shooters were portrayed in the media. I felt like this book was well-researched and unbiased. It presented information that has previously been unreported regarding the thoughts and lives of Klebold and Harris. Bravo to Dave Cullen. I cannot wait to read your next book. ( )
  tntbeckyford | Feb 16, 2019 |
This is the story written from the point of view of the author - who was a journalist on the scene the day the shooters attacked Columbine high school. He spent 10 years going through 1000's of pages of notes, interviews, videos, and talking with the families and victims. He spoke to the families of the killers. He wanted to bring out the truth and debunk some of the mysteries behind "why" the boys killed their classmates, and what happened to the victims who survived.

This was a great story. For me - I remember the shooting - it was the worse school shooting in history at the time. Now, 18 years later, you mention Columbine and everyone knows what you mean. There were things that I believe about the stories the media told that were not true. It was well worth the read. I learned a lot about the killers and their motives and it opened my eyes to how easily warning signs can be missed or overlooked when they are spread out to lots of people. It made me angry that a family that reported the criminal behaviors of one of the killers no less than 14 times to the police and they were almost always ignored. You wonder if the whole tragedy could have been avoided if the police would have followed up and put the killers in juvenile hall.

Check out the book. I guarantee you will learn things that you thought you knew about the situation were not what they seemed. ( )
  JenMat | Jan 10, 2019 |
I thought some sections of this book were extremely interesting and insightful. Having never read any other books on Columbine I can’t speak to manner in which the details/facts are presented and if they paint certain individuals in a certain light that doesn’t represent reality. As a stand-alone book I thought it was a good read. ( )
  mattstadtmueller | Jan 5, 2019 |
The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong at the broken places.
-- Ernest Hemingway, A Farewell to Arms
I am a wicked man. . . . But do you know, gentlemen, what was the main point about my wickedness? The whole thing, precisely was, the greatest nastiness precisely lay in my being shamefully conscious every moment, even in moments of the greatest bile, that I was not only not a wicked man but was not even an embittered man, that I was simply frightening sparrows in vain, and pleasing myself with it.
--Fyodor Dostoevsky, Notes from Underground

For Rachel, Danny, Dave, Cassie, Steven, Corey, Kelly, Matthew, Daniel, Isaiah, John, Lauren, and Kyle. And for Patrick, for giving me hope.
He told them he loved them. Each and every one of them.

Provides an account of the shootings at Colorado's Columbine High School on April 20, 1999, focusing on the teenage killers Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, drawing from interviews, police files, psychological studies, and writings and tapes by the boys to look at the signs they left that disaster was looming.

"On April 20, 1999, two boys left an indelible stamp on the American psyche. Their goal was simple: to blow up their school and to leave 'a lasting impression on the world.' Their bombs failed, but the ensuing shooting defined a new era of school violence ... Dave Cullen delivers a profile of teenage killers that goes to the heart of psychopathology. He lays bare the callous brutality of mastermind Eric Harris and the quavering, suicidal Dylan Klebold, who went to the prom three days earlier and obsessed about love in his journal. The result is an account of two good students with lots of friends, who were secretly stockpiling a basement cache of weapons, recording their raging hatred, and manipulating every adult who got in their way. They left signs everywhere. Drawing on hundreds of interviews, thousands of pages of police files, FBI psychologists, and the boys' tapes and diaries, he gives a complete account of the Columbine tragedy ... A close-up portrait of violence, a community rendered helpless, and police blunders and cover-ups, it is a human portrait of two killers"--From publisher description.… (more)

Dave Cullen is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,733,500 books! | Top bar: Always visible