The Family Moskat by Isaac Bashevis Singer

The Family Moskat (1950)

by Isaac Bashevis Singer

Recently added byprivate library, phoebekw, J_Ortega, Himmelkoemov, Ignacio_Rodrigo, Marko_k, kswolff
Legacy LibrariesGillian Rose
    PERLMUTTER AİLESİ by Panait Istrati (Oct326)
    Oct326: Sono entrambi romanzi centrati sulle vicende di famiglie ebree tra fine ottocento e inizio novecento, con problemi e dissidi interni e difficoltà esterne, antisemitismo, personaggi in crisi morale e spirituale dalle vite difficili.

English (8)  Dutch (3)  Italian (1)  All languages (12)
I sank with abandon into this big old-fashioned family saga. It's the story of a large Jewish family in Warsaw from the turn of the 20th century until the invasion of Poland by Hitler in 1939. There are dozens of vividly drawn characters (luckily there is a family tree at the beginning of the book). While it is an essentially a story of day-to-day life, there are lots of things happening--love, abandonment, adultery, embezzlement, religion and the loss thereof, anti-Semitism, Zionism, emigration to America, the Russian revolution, World War I, and the looming threat of Hitler as a way of life begins to vanish.

I read a number of books by I.B. Singer years ago. (My copy of this book is a mass market paperback from the 1980's, so I'm guessing that's when most of my reading of Singer took place). It was so easy every night to pick this book up and dive right back into the lives of the Moskat family members. I haven't had a big old-fashioned read in ages, and I was ready for this. Read this! It's great entertainment, and much more.

Highly recommended.

4 1/2 stars ( )
1 vote arubabookwoman | Feb 2, 2018 |
Quando un libro ti prende, ti appassiona, vorresti che non finisse mai. E quando sta finendo si prova tristezza perchè ti accorgi che sta finendo. Ecco questo è uno di quei libri. Avendo letto Sosha mi aspettavo un libro dello stesso tenore, e in effetti è così. Paragonato ai "Buddenbrock" (ma non so quale dei due sia stato scritto prima) per il ritmo della narrazione e per la storia, va detto che il paragone ci sta, regge. Ed è altrettanto bello e interessante. Le vicende sono situate nella Polonia nel periodo da inizio secolo fino all'invasione nazista. racconta le vicende di una dinastia ebraica che ha in Meshulam Moskat il capostipite. Capostipite di persone diversissime fra loro, ma accomunate dallo stesso sentimento di appartenenza di popolo, sentimento che pervade tutti gli ebrei e che gli scrittori ebraici sanno così bene descrivere. Io personalmente ho trovato bellissima la figura di Asa Heshel, che pur essendo un nichilista moderno si trova legato alla sua tradizione di popolo, la quale confligge col suo nichilismo. da qui i suoi travagli. Anche se lui si ritiene un discepolo di Spinoza. Detto questo il libro non è palloso, ma avvincente. ( )
  SirJo | Sep 4, 2017 |
E' la morte il Messia! ( )
  downisthenewup | Aug 17, 2017 |
'this is the bread of affliction which our forefathers ate in the Land of Egypt',, August 14, 2014

This review is from: The Family Moskat: A Novel (FSG Classics) (Paperback)
Compelling family saga set in the Jewish community of Warsaw. The novel opens in the years before WWI : the wealthy patriarch of the family has just returned from taking the waters, bringing with him a new wife - and a stepdaughter. There's much irritation among his children by his previous two wives; they are also unhappy about their father's trusted bailiff, who seems to have altogether too much power. And into this mix comes Asa Heshel Bannet, a young man from a rabbinical background, who has come to study in Warsaw...
The characters are convincingly drawn - some religious, holding fast to the old ways, others becoming westernized, refusing arranged marriages - even getting caught up in affairs or becoming apostate. As WWII looms, the whole family is living a very different life..
I felt this novel really started as one thing - a typical almost-Victorian family tale, where everyone had their role and life was settled - to the totally disorganized 'free for all', fighting for survival - and to make sense of the world- that depicts the experience of the Jewish people in the late 30s. An excellent read. ( )
1 vote starbox | Aug 15, 2014 |
Panoramic family novel describing life in the Warsaw Ghetto.
  Folkshul | Jan 15, 2011 |

Isaac Bashevis Singerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Fonzi, BrunoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gross, A.H.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I dedicate these pages to the memory of my late brother I.J. Singer, author of THE BROTHERS ASHKENAZI. To me he was not only the older brother, but a spiritual father and master as well. I looked him up always as to a model of high morality and literary honesty. Although a modern man, he had all the great qualities of our pious ancestors.
Five years after the death of his second wife Reb Meshulam Moskat married for a third time.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:45 -0400)

The vanished way of life of Eastern European Jews in the early part of the twentieth century is the subject of this extraordinary novel. All the strata of this complex society were populated by powerfully individual personalities, and the whole community pulsated with life and vitality. The affairs of the patriarchal Meshulam Moskat and the unworldly Asa Heshel Bannet provide the center of the book, but its real focus is the civilization that was destroyed forever in the gas chambers of the Second World War.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,692,194 books! | Top bar: Always visible