On Basilisk Station (Honor Harrington Book…

On Basilisk Station (Honor Harrington Book 1) (original 1993; edition 2012)

by David Weber (Author)

3,204912,534 (3.99)155
Member:codewell
Title:On Basilisk Station (Honor Harrington Book 1)
Authors:David Weber (Author)
Info:Baen Books (2012), Edition: 1, 422 pages
Rating:*****

On Basilisk Station by David Weber (1993)

The Honor of the Queen by David Weber (theapparatus)
    theapparatus: Next book in the series
    Captain Horatio Hornblower by C. S. Forester (miniwark)
    miniwark: To compare with the original
    Valor's Choice by Tanya Huff (ktoonen)
    Trading in Danger by Elizabeth Moon (ktoonen)
    The Outback Stars by Sandra McDonald (SunnySD)
    With the Lightnings by David Drake (ktoonen)
    The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For arguably unusual persons in command.
    Hunting Party by Elizabeth Moon (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For starship captains cutting through political crap.
    The Fuzzy Papers: Little Fuzzy & Fuzzy Sapiens by H. Beam Piper (DWWilkin)
    DWWilkin: Honor Harrington's first mission is protecting a world where native intelligence also resides
    One Jump Ahead by Mark L. Van Name (ktoonen)
    Death's Door - Where Right and Glory Lead by William DeSouza (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: I loved this book - 1st in a series of great sci-fi reading.
    A Hymn Before Battle by John Ringo (ElementalDragon)
    Dead Reckoning by Jeffery Cheney (ClassicallyMinded)
    ClassicallyMinded: Very fast-paced and exciting. Compelling characters and a well thought out story.
    The Lost Stars: Tarnished Knight by Jack Campbell (Dragget)
    Dragget: There are some differences, but both of these are good military SF. Tarnished Knight focuses more on the rulers as main characters while On Basilisk Station is about a ship commander implementing her government's policies. Both, however, focus the main characters' problem-solving and follow them as they rise to various military and diplomatic challenges.… (more)
    Kris Longknife: Mutineer by Mike Shepherd (ktoonen, binarydude)

English (85)  French (4)  Swedish (1)  Slovak (1)  All languages (91)
I read this when it first came out, but that was years ago. It was time to tackle the entire series and hope that my memories of it were accurate -- that it was great science fiction with a competent heroine. My memories were indeed accurate as I raced through the book.

I've learned more about the military over the years and this book rang true. Honor is the appropriate age to be a commander and she's developed her skills in leadership. I enjoyed seeing how she brought the crew together into a cohesive whole.

Obviously, as Honor is the main character, Weber takes the time to make us understand her. However, he also makes us care about many of the minor characters, too. They weren't cardboard characters who moved around at the whim of the author. They had motivation and real personality. I think that made the main battle even more hard to read because I cared if the characters lived or died. That is the mark of an excellent writer.

This boo is cracking good science fiction, so folks who like science fiction would enjoy it. If you like military science fiction, this needs to be on your "must read" list. It has my highest recommendation. ( )
1 vote Jean_Sexton | Dec 15, 2018 |
One of the best military sci-fi book series out there! ( )
  mwchase | Nov 6, 2018 |
A pleasure to read. Recommendation I got after reading Dune by Frank Herbert. It is similar vibe as dune with an awesome main character. ( )
  JohnLambrechts | Sep 24, 2018 |
This was recommended by my boyfriend, and I loved it. The characters were great and it reminded me of historical fiction in space!
For more reviews see my blog: https://adventuresofabibliophile.blogspot.com
  Serinde24 | Aug 17, 2018 |
Kind of a slow start, but a wonderful fast-paced ending. Very political and detailed (not necessarily in a good way), but the characters and relationships kept me reading. I've been told the second one is better, so we'll see! ( )
  fogisbeautiful | Feb 13, 2018 |

David Weberprimary authorall editionscalculated
Johnson, AllysonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mattingly, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schwinger, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Warner, BobCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Slovak Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
To C.S. Forester,
With thanks for hours of enjoyment,
years of inspiration,
and a lifetime of admiration.
The ticking of the conference room's antique clock was deafening as the Hereditary President of People's Republic of Haven stared at his military cabinet.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743435710, Mass Market Paperback)

On Basilisk Station (or "HH1" as it's known to the faithful) is the first installment in David Weber's cult hit Honor Harrington series, which has charmed the socks off schoolgirls and sailors alike. Honor--the heroine of this fast-paced, addictive space opera--is a polished, plucky bulldog of a naval officer, part Horatio Hornblower, part Miles Vorkosigan, part Captain Janeway, and with a razor-clawed telepathic cat thrown over her shoulder for good measure.

The series' kickoff puts a giddy Commander Harrington at the helm of her first serious starship, the HMS Fearless. But her excitement quickly fades--political maneuvering by top brass in the Manticoran navy has left her light cruiser outfitted with a half-baked experimental weapons system. Against all odds (just the way Honor likes it), she still manages a clever coup in tactical war games, a feat that earns her accolades--and enemies. The politicians she's offended banish her to a galactic backwater, Basilisk Station. But that outpost soon proves to be a powder keg, and it's up to Harrington and the Fearless crew to thwart the aggressive plans of the Haven Republic. A perfect mix of military SF and high adventure--if you enjoy your tour, re-up with HH2, The Honor of the Queen. --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:36 -0400)

Having made him look the fool, she's been exiled to Basilisk Station in disgrace and set up for ruin by a superior who hates her. Her demoralized crew blames her for their ship's humiliating posting to an out-of-the-way picket station. The aborigines of the system's only habitable planet are smoking homicide-inducing hallucinogens. Parliament isn't sure it wants to keep the place; the major local industry is smuggling; the merchant cartels want her head; the star-conquering, so-called "Republic" of Haven is Up To Something; and Honor Harrington has a single, over-age light cruiser and an armament that doesn't work to police the entire star system.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,726,170 books! | Top bar: Always visible