Don Quijote (Norton Critical Editions) by…

Don Quijote (Norton Critical Editions) (edition 1999)

by Miguel De Cervantes, Diana de Armas Wilson (Editor), Burton Raffel (Translator)

"Backgrounds and Context" invites readers to explore the creative process that culminated in the publication of Don Quijote. Included are selections from works parodied by Cervantes (Amadis of Gaul and Orlando Furioso) and a portion of the spurious sequel to Part 1 written by Fernandes de Avellaneda. "Criticisms" presents fifteen major interpretations of both the novel and selected episodes, describing Cervantes' intellectual milieu, revealing how he infused new life into the literary modes and motifs he had inherited, and illustrating the fundamental importance of Don Quijote in the history of modern fiction.… (more)
Member:Indianhead
Title:Don Quijote (Norton Critical Editions)
Authors:Miguel De Cervantes
Other authors:Diana de Armas Wilson (Editor), Burton Raffel (Translator)
Info:W.W. Norton & Co. (1999), Edition: 2, Paperback, 880 pages

Don Quixote [Norton Critical Edition] by Miguel de Cervantes

Recently added byTimClifford574, bkgenie, travisjc34, Eli_Gray, drrico, private library, AdamDeSocioBrown, jgarn

English (4)  Spanish (1)  All languages (5)
What can I say about the story of the man who tilted at windmills? I enjoyed this one lots, which reminded me in turn of (a friendly mockery of) [The Decameron], [[Malory]], [Orlando Furioso] and the like. A hoot if you like this sort of thing. ( )
  scaifea | Jan 16, 2017 |
Abandoned on page 34 unfortunately and returned to the library. I vow to come back to it one day as I think it's a worthwhile read. ( )
  RubyA | Mar 30, 2013 |
The introduction is fascinating. Interesting to read this and contrast with the musical Man of La Mancha. ( )
  JBMonument | Mar 21, 2008 |
This took me quite a while to get through, and after reading the literary criticism at the back of the Norton Critical Edition I still feel like I read it very shallowly. I liked the translation. I got the feeling that a lot of the wordplay and jokes were rendered into English well. Much of the material struck chords with me. The image of a man out of his time, doing things in a certain way because that's how he's read that they're done resonates particularly well. ( )
  aneel | May 10, 2007 |

Miguel de Cervantesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Putnam, SamuelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Do Not Combine: This is a "Norton Critical Edition", it is a unique work with significant added material, including essays and background materials. Do not combine with other editions of the work. Please maintain the phrase "Norton Critical Edition" in the Canonical Title and Publisher Series fields.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,549,410 books! | Top bar: Always visible