Flags of Our Fathers: Heroes of Iwo Jima…

Flags of Our Fathers: Heroes of Iwo Jima (Young Reader's Abridged Edition) (2001)

by James Bradley

A true story behind the immortal photograph that has come to symbolize the courage and indomitable will of America.

This was a wonderful book about the six men immortalized in the picture of the flag raising over Iwo Jima in February, 1945. The author is the son of one of the men, and he wrote the book after his father's death. His father never really talked about his time on Iwo Jima, and James Bradley wanted to know about his father's experiences. Bradley also tells the story of the other five men in the photograph, three of who would not make it off of the island alive.

I thought this book did a remarkable job of humanizing men who have become such icons of the twentieth century. Bradley shows how harshly the war affected all six of the men, something that can be lost in official histories.

Bradley is a trained historian, so I would expect that he would know how to research, and he does. He also writes in an engaging way that is easy to read, an element many professional histories can lack. ( )
  Mols1 | Apr 6, 2013 |
An excellent book, which tempers justified triumphant tones with the sadness of life's complexity. ( )
  YaacovLozowick | Jan 1, 2009 |
This book is a captivating war time novel about the grueling battle on Iwa Jima. Written by James Bradley this is a true book and all the characters are real people. ( )
  Dani4 | Jan 8, 2008 |

Is an abridged version of

Listen to me, and follow my orders, and I'll try to bring all of you back safely to your mothers. --Sergeant Mike Strank
Chapter One: the only thing new in the world is the history you don't know. --Harry Truman
Dedicated to the memory of Belle Block, Kathryn Bradley, Irene Gagnon, Nancy Hayes, Goldie Price, Martha Strank, and all mothers who sent their boys to war.
In the spring of 1998 six boys called to me from half a century ago on a distant mountain, and I went there.

The story behind the photo that most Americans are familiar with.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,762,050 books! | Top bar: Always visible