Hunger by Michael Grant

Hunger (edition 2010)

by Michael Grant (Author)

Series: Gone (2)

Conditions worsen for the remaining young residents of a small California coastal town isolated by supernatural events when their food supplies dwindle and the Darkness underground awakens.
Member:Chazzarang
Title:Hunger
Authors:Michael Grant (Author)
Info:Egmont Books Ltd (2010), 576 pages

Hunger by Michael Grant

Not bad. The story is definitely progressing into some interesting developments. I listened to the audio because I really didn't want to put in the work of the larger book after reading the big 850-page book I recently finished. The narrator isn't bad but his voice can get annoying at times. ( )
  starslight86 | Jul 20, 2021 |
I can see why this series snares readers - the slow-building tension and the variety of voices makes it interesting and widely appealing for the casual reader. Alas, with Hunger I will personally be calling it quits.

There were multiple things that made Hunger concerning for me.

The first is the sheer amount of POVs. Gone already had twelve POVs. Off the top of my head, there's at least nineteen POVs in Hunger. Almost every single character that has a name in Hunger has at least one chapter written in their perspective... there may be 5 characters that don't. I'm all for multiple POVs, but I think nearing twenty is a bit excessive. It takes forever for the plot to move. I'm sure Grant is building for events in the other books, but I found the pacing lag as I read, and I was getting bored. It was just... really slow-paced. And somewhat excessive. For example, I think Dekka as a character was great - it's awesome to have a Black character POV and I love that there's LGBTQ+ rep. But her chapters were fluff. The story would have moved more quickly by leaving her as a supporting character.

And while we're talking about Dekka... let's throw in Edilio and Duck as well. After a little while, the diversity in Hunger started to feel very token. The readers knew were diverse only because they told other characters in dialogue, or in Duck's case, thought about it themselves. There is none of the richness of diversity of real communities. It was flat and poorly represented. I'm not Black, Asian, or Honduran - I'd love to hear from own voices readers on the representation of these characters. As an outsider.. it felt... stiff. The dialogue was uncomfortable for me when the characters announced their diversity. Maybe it's just me?

While we're talking about cringiness... lets talk about Little Pete. I lost count how many times the "r" word has been used between Gone and Hunger. The ableism of the characters in this book is one thing (and largely unchallenged, too, which is another problem)... but I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the way Grant used Pete's autism to build this world. I wonder how much (if at all) the author researched autism before writing him? When Hunger was published, sensitivity readers were less common; in the modern era, I like to think the publishing house would have noted Grant's ableist depiction of Pete and sought sensitivity readers. Pete is constantly "othered" and because this is a series for young adults (and a very popular one at that) there is some responsibility to be kind and accurate in portraying autistic characters. As well as the racial diverse characters, characters across the sexuality spectrum.... everyone.

There's a lot of cruelty and hateful language in Hunger. Given the state of the world they're living in and their depleting food supplies, this is not unexpected but it was uncomfortable. There a poorly-handled representation of an eating disorder (my understanding is this gets worse as the series continues) as well as an attempted lynching. It's unsettling, but not in the way The Hunger Games is unsettling. It's in a world a little too close to modernity, so maybe it was just uncomfortable for me... but I also think there were some choices and language used that were overly cruel and not challenged.

The lack of challenging these things was the most difficult for me. Have your villains be villainous. But your heroes should balance them out.

This book is dark, and it's okay that it's dark... but it feels written a bit carelessly. There was so much going on with the characters (or rather... not really going on but we needed to see it all) that the plot crawled by, and by the end of the book, I wasn't sucked in. I was relieved. It has the feel of a work by an already successful author who is churning out books with little care of the worlds and people within them. The only thing I will personally remember from Hunger is how utterly disappointed I was with the development of the characters and the carelessness of the language.

Perhaps I'm a crone, but I think there are far better books for young adults out there than this series, especially because it is so haphazard with its language and the token depiction of diverse characters. An intriguing dystopian storyline and an adult-free world does not forgive these things. ( )
  Morteana | Jan 5, 2021 |
I am still utterly in awe of this series. Again, another sequel that absolutely doesn't disappoint.

Things are stepping up a notch in the FAYZ. As time passes, terrible problems begin to weigh on the handful of teens keeping Perdido Beach alive. There is virtually no food, and starvation makes kids do terrible things. Violence and hate are erupting between those with powers and those without. And now, Caine, half-mad after a chilling encounter with the menacing power called The Darkness, has hatched a plan to plunge Perdido Beach into endless night...and feed the creature that lies in wait.

With horryfying encounters, heart-pounding battles, side-switching everywhere, heroic sacrifice, and what seems like uncountable cliffhangers and brushes with death, the FAYZ is about to become a hell, with only a few brave kids left to hold the center together. Sam, beginning to crack under the terrible pressure of leadership; Astrid, trying to be an anchor for the people she loves; Lana, with The Darkness a constant pull in her brain; Edilio, who has to stay strong as a lieutenant; and Little Pete, who is beginning to exercise frightening powers of creation. And a few cool newcomers, trying to understand their own skills. The villians don't disappoint either; Caine, sometimes sympathetic and sometimes anything but; Diana, on no one's side but her own; and Drake, one of the scariest psychopaths you'll ever meet in a book.

I can't WAIT for the 3rd one. Even after the adreneline charged ending, there's still plenty left to look forward to in the future. ( )
  booksong | Mar 18, 2020 |
Hungry in the Dark

This aptly describes my feelings on this book. I was hungry for good literature, and yet, left in the dark.

The Gone novels are a good premise. It ends up getting copied by countless TV series later, most recently Netflix' The Society. And I really wanted to know what happened to the kids, and what the end result was. But after reading this, rather than buying the next, I think I'll just go to the Wikipedia summary to find out the end.

I don't get the accolades the author has received for this book. Very little happens for most of the book, in terms of plot or character development. There are times when the kids act childishly, because they are children. In this I salute Grant, for that is difficult to do. And there are many times when the characters don't act believably, even accounting for them being teenagers. There are changes in characters but they aren't believably explained- there is no causation. The emotions of characters are not sufficiently described to make me present. And rather than everything coming together at the end, it felt more like a Deus ex Machina.

This book has an ending, but no resolution. I did not feel that satisfaction with the end that a reader pines after. ( )
  Carosaari | Jul 15, 2019 |
Another great read. ( )
  Vulco1 | Oct 12, 2018 |

Michael Grantprimary authorall editionscalculated
McCarley, KyleNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Katherine, Jake, and Julia
Sam Temple was on his board.

It's been three months since everyone under the age of fifteen became trapped in the bubble known as the FAYZ.

Three months since all the adults disappeared.

Gone.

Food ran out weeks ago. Everyone is starving, but no one wants to figure out a solution. And each day, more and more kids are evolving, developing supernatural abilities that set them apart from the kids without powers.

Tension rises and chaos is descending upon the town. It's the normal kids against the mutants. Each kid is out for himself, and even the good ones turn murderous.

But a larger problem looms. The Darkness, a sinister creature that has lived buried deep in the hills, begins calling to some of the teens in the FAYZ. Calling to them, guiding them, manipulating them.

The Darkness has awakened. And it is hungry.

Michael Grant is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,390,853 books! | Top bar: Always visible