The Last Child: A Novel by John Hart

The Last Child: A Novel (edition 2010)

by John Hart (Author)

Series: Johnny Merrimon (1)

2,1531986,346 (4.08)168
After his twin sister Alyssa disappears, thirteen year-old Johnny Merrimon is determined to find her. When a second girl disappears from his rural North Carolina town, Johnny makes a discovery that sends shock waves through the community in this multi-layered tale of broken families and deadly secrets.… (more)
Member:allisonhooker
Title:The Last Child: A Novel
Authors:John Hart (Author)
Info:Minotaur Books (2010), 432 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites

Work Information

The Last Child by John Hart

Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (jlparent)
    jlparent: Both are rather dark and disturbing in tone and plotlines. Also try Flynn's "Dark Places" in a similar vein.
    Blacklands by Belinda Bauer (terran)
    terran: A young boy searches for the body of a relative and is involved in finding the killer.
    Reasons to Kill God by I. V. Olokita (Lithamerrsmith)
    Lithamerrsmith: Although these are different places and time axes that overlap at one particular point, yet the two books correlate on both sides of a barricade and complement one another (beyond the fact that both are excellent.)
    The Client by John Grisham (VictoriaPL)
    Judas Child by Carol O'Connell (VictoriaPL)

English (203)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All languages (205)
This was a very heavy book, and I don't mean its size. A lot happens, much of it very sad and emotional. It seemed like a book of tragedies, affecting lots of different people - it seemed like each character in the book had his or her own personal tragedy to contend with.

Most of the book goes along a line where it seems like some sort of pedophile or serial killer has perhaps taken a couple of young girls in town, but that would be too simple and easy for John Hart, not to mention for us and a lot of characters in the story.

At times, things got a bit weird and somewhat mystical, but not unbelievably so. Most of the book was very believable, like you were there and a part of the story. There is a sequel that looks like it might be more mystical than this one; this is not my favorite genre, but I'll probably read it to see how it is.
  MartyFried | Oct 9, 2022 |
Wow! This book sucked me in from the first page. Twists and turns and totally unexpected happenings. Kept me guessing and kept surprising me. Very well written. Johnny was a great character. I'd love to see him as a grown up to see what time makes of all this grit, determination and trauma. ( )
  Luziadovalongo | Jul 14, 2022 |
I spent all day yesterday reading this book. Not only because the mystery is compelling, but because the book itself is such an effortless pleasure to read. John Hart's prose is beautiful, liquid, and I just drank it down, taking the North Carolina town, its people, and its atmosphere in quick, quenching draughts. The characters are wonderfully real in their complexities and contradictions, nuanced in shades of innocence and evil, selfishness and determination, simplicity and cunning. Within such vivid surrounds, the mystery of the kidnapping becomes only one thread in the warp and weft of other mysteries---what will happen to these people, to their families and their futures, and how will they come together? Or fall apart? The Last Child is a dark story, but it's a moving and uplifting one as well. ( )
  slimikin | Mar 27, 2022 |
I don't even know what to say about John Hart anymore. Guy's just a phenomenal author.

This particular novel is a tough one to review because...well, to be honest, I simply loved everything about it. The story. The characters. The twists. The writing. All of it.

Just....go get yourself one of his books...any one, doesn't matter...and experience John Hart. ( )
  TobinElliott | Sep 3, 2021 |
boy searches for kidnapped sister, search leads to other pedophiles, sister turns out to have been hit and run covered up
  ritaer | Jul 24, 2021 |

John Hartprimary authorall editionscalculated
Schmidt, RainerÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

btb (74232)
This book is for Nancy and Bill Stanback, Annie and John Hart, and Kay and Norde Wilson. Parents, friends, trusted advisors.
Asphalt cut the country like a scar, a long, hot burn of razor-black.
Darkness is a cancer of the human heart.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

John Hart's book The Last Child was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,206,392 books! | Top bar: Always visible