The Enchantment Emporium (Enchantment…

The Enchantment Emporium (Enchantment Emporium 1) (original 2009; edition 2014)

by Tanya Huff (Author)

Alysha Gale is a member of a family capable of changing the world with the charms it casts. Then she receives word that she's inherited her grandmother's junk shop in Calgary, only to discover upon arriving that she'll be serving the fey community. And when Alysha learns just how much trouble is brewing in Calgary, even calling in the family to help may not be enough to save the day.… (more)
Member:Alisonmh
Title:The Enchantment Emporium (Enchantment Emporium 1)
Authors:Tanya Huff (Author)
Info:Titan Books (2014), 400 pages

Work Information

The Enchantment Emporium by Tanya Huff (2009)

The Thread that Binds the Bones by Nina Kiriki Hoffman (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Both books are about magical families with unique powers
    Nice Dragons Finish Last by Rachel Aaron (LaPhenix)
    LaPhenix: Unexpected fun, lighthearted yet never campy with little treats for your inner geek.
    A Fistful of Sky by Nina Kiriki Hoffman (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Urban fantasy, magic families

English (55)  German (1)  All languages (56)
Loved it, more then I expected I would. There is a lot going on, and that is not always my thing, but it somehow got formed into a coherent whole. In the beginning, it was a bit confusing to figure out what was going on, but it becomes clear eventually. I like the family dynamics, the standing together, even though there are hints of power abuse for the good of all. It didn't come to the forefront too much, though. I'm glad the family members themselves are ok with the way their world works, because it could have become bitter otherwise, with the meddling and all. But there was no resentment, and apparently, none of the family felt it was too stifling. Or if they did, they got away for a bit, and this was accepted.

One definitely good thing, the women are awesome, they work together, and they also work together with the men. There may have been meddling, but mostly, there was a lot of support within the family, people backing each other where it was needed. This was cool! ( )
  zjakkelien | Jan 2, 2024 |
It seems like the idea behind this book was 'borrowed' from Nina Kiriki Hoffman, and not done any better than she would have done it... ( )
  danielskatz | Dec 26, 2023 |
Not my usual cup of tea, but this started out as a fairly witty and imaginative urban fantasy. But the slow pacing and low stakes really got to me; the book feels like the setup for a series instead of a fun story of its own. Also, the very. slow. reveal. of information our characters already know becomes wearing after the first act.
  raschneid | Dec 19, 2023 |
When Allie inherits her grandmother's junk shop in Calgary, she is between jobs and looking for a purpose, so she heads west to see if she can figure out what happened to her grandmother, who was eccentric even by family standards . . . and Allie doesn't come from any kind of normal family. She finds that things are happening in Calgary: dragons regularly fly over the city, the clientele of the junk shop are mostly fey in disguise, and a rogue sorcerer is setting up for something big on the horizon. Can Allie handle it, or will she have to call in the aunties?

This was good, fantastical fun. I felt like I had been thrown into the middle of the story without any explanation, though by the end it more or less made sense. So, I wouldn't recommend it to those who need lots of exposition early on when encountering new magic systems, or to those who are squicked out by lots of implied casual sex, some of it vaguely incestuous. I liked the characters, and I felt the plot moved pretty quickly, though I didn't rip through it as quickly as I might have expected to (I think that was just me, and not necessarily the fault of the book). ( )
  foggidawn | Oct 27, 2022 |
The Enchanted Emporium is a delight from start to finish—by turns humorous, romantic (when it's not downright lusty), and dramatic. Huff finds a way to blend all the disparate threads into an engaging whole, which is no easy task.

So far, this is easily one of my favorite books of the year.

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

For Sue and Tom.

For True Love.

For Happily Ever After.
Shoot the moon was considered to be one of the more dangerous yoyo tricks.
I sold a yoyo while you were gone.
Charlie's stomach growled.
(Ryan, the Dragon Lord) "Your body is angry?"
"Hungry."
A Dragon Prince with emo hair and daddy issues.  Her life had become Manga.

The Gales of Southern Ontario can change the world with the charms they cast, and they prefer to keep all this power in the family. The Gale Aunties are in charge of this clan, or like to think they are. Alysha, like all her cousins, often finds herself beset with too many Aunties trying to run her life.

So when a letter from her missing Gran arrives telling her that she's inherited a junk shop in Calgary, Alysha is ready and willing to honor her grandmother's last request to keep the shop open and serve "the community."

The Aunties, of course, want her to find out what really happened to Gran and come right back home, where they have her future mapped out for her.
It isn't until she arrives in Calgary that Alysha realizes it's the fey community she'll be serving in the Enchantment Emporium - and that one person's junk may be another person's magical treasure.
Finding out what happened to Gran will not be easy, especially since Alysha has no way of knowing just how much otherworldly trouble is brewing in Calgary. And even calling in family reinforcements may not be enough to save the day...

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 205,747,618 books! | Top bar: Always visible