Under the Dome by Stephen King

Under the Dome (edition 2009)

by Stephen King, Paul J. Pugliese Matthew Diffee (Illustrator)

Member:sturlington
Title:Under the Dome
Authors:Stephen King
Other authors:Paul J. Pugliese Matthew Diffee (Illustrator)
Info:Scribner (2009), First Edition, Hardcover with dustjacket
Collections:Your library, Stephen King
Rating:*****
Tags:2009, King, 1ED

Under The Dome by Stephen King

The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Edition by Stephen King (tina1969)
    The Gunslinger by Stephen King (jlparent)
    jlparent: Actually, the whole Dark Tower series - both are epic in scale, each concerns itself with the interaction between the people caught in the crosshairs.
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (sturlington)
    sturlington: Undert the Dome is an adult version of Lord of the Flies.
    The Wall by Marlen Haushofer (Anonymous user)
    Ghost Road Blues by Jonathan Maberry (Scottneumann)
    Gone by Michael Grant (virginiahomeschooler)
    Strangers by Dean Koontz (Scottneumann)
    Scottneumann: Another book where people unite to overcome an unseen foe
    Dead Man's Song by Jonathan Maberry (Scottneumann)
    El cuarto Jinete by Victor Blazquez (soyleyenda)
    soyleyenda: El estilo de Víctor Blázquez bebe mucho de Stephen King, y además, El cuarto jinete es una obra tan coral como La Cúpula y la acción transcurre en un pequeño pueblo americano muy similar al de la novela de King.

English (367)  Dutch (5)  Spanish (5)  Italian (4)  German (2)  Danish (2)  Catalan (1)  All languages (386)
Mooi verhaal. Zeker een King waardig :)

Omdat ik eerst de serie gezien heb die op dit boek is gebaseerd (Under the Dome) was het wel wennen dat het boek heel anders was. Vooral bij sommige karakters had ik een betere 'band' dan met anderen.

EdwinKort | Nov 6, 2018 |
I am not sure how I feel about this book, a large part of me loves it but there is some disappointment. When I started it I felt overwhelmed with all the different characters and the events that were happening so fast. I'm glad I pushed through that because mid-way through the book I was hooked by a very captivating plot that focused on the power struggle, drugs and a few supernatural themes. The characters at first seemed very one dimensional, you have your good guys and your bad, but there were little things that made them have more depth. The ending wasn't bad, it isn't what I expected (not in a clever way either, just random). I wouldn't go as far as saying I'm disappointed with the ending, it just felt like a ending to a completely different book that what I was reading. I feel like more could of been done with the ending and other factors in the plot, but overall a pretty good book and definitely worth reading. ( )
  wellreadcatlady | Oct 4, 2018 |
I really had to push through this one. There were some interesting ideas in here; I always love reading about how small groups of relative strangers come together in times of crisis. However, I think a lot got lost in this book because it was so bloated.

One thing that I don't personally enjoy about King is his dialogue; it seems so unnatural. Another thing that bothered me about this book was the ending. I thought it was terrible. I don't want to ruin anything for anyone, so I won't get into particulars. I just wish that after having invested so much time in this book, the reward had been greater.

After all that being said, I will admit that I did find parts of the book enjoyable and some of the plot points were exciting or interesting. I didn't give up on the book even though I did have to put it aside for weeks at a time. Probably won't revisit this one. ( )
  Borrows-N-Wants | Sep 22, 2018 |
Well done Mr. King. A thousand page novel and the story was solid.

Further proof that he can do more than just horror. This exposes the flaws of humanity, but also the triumphs. A story that pushes the imagination and makes you wonder, what I was in there, what would I do differently.

Entertaining and thoughtful. ( )
  snotbottom | Sep 19, 2018 |
Turn to the end of this book and you will see page 1978. I had read a normal 699 pages and there were almost 500 to go. This writer does not give a rat's ass about how long his entertainments take to read.
The book is crazy;rather than concentrate on one or two stories, the author takes pains to take all of his characters to a conclusion. A crummy book ( )
  annbury | Sep 11, 2018 |
Though his scenarios aren’t always plausible in strictest terms, King’s imagination, as always, yields a most satisfying yarn.
added by Christa_Josh | editKirkus Reviews (Oct 15, 2011)

It’s a fun and clear-headed fury, though. This is King humming at the height of his powers, cackling at human folly, taking childish glee in the gross-out and all the while spinning a modern fable that asks some serious questions without sounding preachy. If the fury left a few excessive typos and a dog’s name that mistakenly changes on occasion, well, these are (mostly) forgivable sins. After all, few of us can resist such nightmares and dreamscapes.

King says he started "Under the Dome" in 1976 but then "crept away from it with my tail between my legs. . . . I was terrified of screwing it up." Fortunately, he found the confidence to return to this daunting story because the result is one of his most powerful novels ever.

The King book that is most readily brought to mind by “Under the Dome” isn’t an earlier large-scale apocalyptic fantasy like “It” or “The Stand”; it’s “On Writing,” the instructive autobiographical gem that cast light on how Mr. King’s creative mind works. In the spirit of “On Writing,” “Under the Dome” takes a lucid, commonsense approach that keeps it tight and energetic from start to finish. Hard as this thing is to hoist, it’s even harder to put down.

1,100 pages of localized apocalypse from an author whose continued and slightly frenzied commerce with his muse has been one of the more enthralling spectacles in American literature.

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Esparza, RaúlNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kuipers, HugoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Who you lookin for
What was his name
you can prob'ly find him
at the football game
it's a small town
you know what I mean
it's a small town, son
and we all support the team.
—James McMurtry
In memory of Surendra Dahyabhai Patel. We miss you, my friend.
From two thousand feet, where Claudette Sanders was taking a flying lesson, the town of Chester's Mill gleamed in the morning light like something freshly made and just set down.

A first edition epic by Stephen King.

A town is mysteriously sealed in an inexplicable dome. The residents are trapped inside leading to drama, hysteria, and a shocking series of events.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:57 -0400)

The small town of Chester's Mill, Maine, is faced with a big dilemma when it is mysteriously sealed off by an invisible and completely impenetrable force field. With cars and airplanes exploding on contact, the force field has completely isolated the townspeople from the outside world. Now, Iraq war vet Dale Barbara and a group of the town's more sensible citizens must overcome the tyrannical rule of Big Jim Rennie, a politician bent on controlling everything within the Dome.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,285,307 books! | Top bar: Always visible