Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through…

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass: the… (original 1865; edition 2003)

by Lewis Carroll (Author), Hugh Haughton (Editor), John Tenniel (Illustrator)

Series: Alice's Adventures (1 & 2)

By falling down a rabbit hole and stepping through a mirror, Alice experiences unusual adventures with a variety of nonsensical characters.
Member:ArcanumXIII
Title:Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass: the centenary edition (Penguin Classics)
Authors:Lewis Carroll (Author)
Other authors:Hugh Haughton (Editor), John Tenniel (Illustrator)
Info:Penguin Classics (2003), Edition: Revised ed., 448 pages

Work Information

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland / Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll (1865)

Coraline by Neil Gaiman (moonsoar)
    Alice I Have Been: A Novel by Melanie Benjamin (ForeignCircus)
    ForeignCircus: great fictional look at the life of Alice Liddell who helped inspire Alice in Wonderland. Definitely an adult read as it deals with the semi-disturbing relationship between Alice Liddell and Charles Dodgson.
    Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions by Edwin A. Abbott (Jesse_wiedinmyer)
    Pinocchio by Carlo Collodi (thecoroner)
    After Alice by Gregory Maguire (sturlington)
    sturlington: Retelling
    Deep into the Heart of a Rose by G. T. Denny (StefanY)
    Pandora Hearts, Vol. 1 by Jun Mochizuki (madmarch)
    madmarch: This manga is based on and contains a multitude of references to the Alice books- a lot of them only extreme fans will get. Not suitable for pre-adolescents.
    Random Magic by Sasha Soren (infiniteletters, Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Strong link to the Alice books. From the Amazon description: When absent-minded Professor Random misplaces the main character from Alice in Wonderland, young Henry Witherspoon must book-jump to fetch Alice before chaos theory kicks in and the world vanishes. Along the way he meets Winnie Flapjack, a wit-cracking doodle witch with nothing to her name but a magic feather and a plan. Such as it is. Henry and Winnie brave the Dark Queen, whatwolves, pirates, Struths, and fluttersmoths, Priscilla and Charybdis, obnoxiously cheerful vampires, Baron Samedi, a nine-dimensional cat, and one perpetually inebriated Muse to rescue Alice and save the world by tea time.… (more)
    Evil dress by Emelie Östergren (Kolbkarlsson)
    Kolbkarlsson: Östergrens stories have a strong Wonderland influence, both in it's strange logic and surreal tone. Both are contained universes, explored by girls or girl figures, sharing the same trappings.
    The Water Babies by Charles Kingsley (kiwiflowa)
    The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor (elbakerone, joyfulgirl, Kerian)
    elbakerone: Beddor takes an alternative look at Alice's story. Fans of the original may appreciate the new telling and fans of Beddor's reworking will likely enjoy Carroll's classic.

English (258)  French (3)  Italian (2)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  Danish (2)  Lithuanian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Arabic (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (273)
This copy is very plain on the cover. Illustrations black & white
  Gmomaj | Sep 21, 2021 |
Alice follows a hare underground and has strange adventures and meets fantastic characters.
  BLTSbraille | Sep 2, 2021 |
More Wonderland. I read it to the kids. We all agreed that we like the first one better. This is more self conscious and not as memorable. But plenty of good jewels throughout. Long live Queen Alice! ( )
  Je9 | Aug 10, 2021 |
“I could tell you my adventures—beginning from this morning,” said Alice a little timidly; “but it’s no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass

I try to express only my most honest opinion in a spoiler free way. If you feel anything in my review is a spoiler and is not already hidden in spoiler brackets please let me know. Thank you.
This is the two part series in one book. First Alice follows a white rabbit down a rabbit hole where all sorts of strange things happen that she once would have thought impossible. Then in Through the Looking-Glass she goes through the looking-glass to a backwards world where everything is backwards.

So I decided to read this book because I highly enjoy the retellings that I have read based on this story and the only reference I had was the cartoon that I watched in my childhood. And I have to say, even though it is obvious that the cartoon was inspired from this book, it is still far from this book. The first one, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, wasn't bad. Everything was strange and crazy but it moved from one scene to the next smoothly enough that I could keep up with it. The second one, Through the Looking-Glass, was so hard to keep up. The scenes changed on a dime and there seemed to be literally no sense or rules to this world other than it was backward. In both books there was really no plot, nothing that Alice was striving toward, just going from place to place and that was it. I think for a young child this book would have been better cause of so many changes it keeps a young ones attention. But this book just wasn't really for me at all.
How I choose my rating:
1* Did not finish, or hated it but forced myself to finish.
2** Didn't really like it. Didn't hate it but not sure why I finished it other then for some closure.
3*** I liked it. I had some issues with it, but as a whole it was good. I probably won't reread again ever, but there is a chance I might finish the series. (If part of one) But if not it's not a huge loss.
4**** I really liked this book. Maybe not a work of genius, but highly entertaining. I might reread this again, and I will finish the series. (If part of one) I would recommend to those I know hold interest in this books content.
5***** I loved this book. I found little to no issues with it at all. I will definitely be rereading this and probably more than once. I will finish the series and reread it multiple times. (If part of one) I will recommend this book to EVERYONE!!!!
  starslight86 | Jul 20, 2021 |
I have no idea what to write except to say; I just did not like "Through the Looking Glass" and I couldn't wait until it was ended.

I fared a bit better with "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland", but I found Alice to be a quite rude & arrogant little girl.

What I did like, were the illustrations, which I'll use on my ATCs (Artist Trading Cards) as well as the text, which is why I'm rating this 1 star. ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Mar 31, 2021 |

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a teacher's guide

Alice was beginning to get very tired of sitting by her sister on the bank, and of having nothing to do; once or twice she had peeped into the book her sister was reading, but it had no pictures or conversation in it, "and what is the use of a book," thought Alice, "without pictures or conversations?"
One thing was certain, that the white kitten had nothing to do with it—it was the black kitten’s fault entirely.
"In that direction," the Cat said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Hatter; and in that direction," waving the other paw, "lives a March Hare. Visit either you like; they're both mad."
"I only wish I had such eyes," the King remarked in a fretful tone. "To be able to see Nobody! And at this distance too! Why, it's as much as I can do to see real people, by this light!"
Off with his head!
I'm very brave, generally . . . only today I happen to have a headache.
"One can’t believe impossible things."

"I dare say you haven’t had much practice. When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why sometimes I’ve believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
This is a combined edition of "Alice's adventures in wonderland" and "Through the looking-glass and what Alice found there". Please don't combine with a copy of only one of these.

ISBN 0945260210 is a Reader's Digest condensed [abridged] version of the omnibus.

ISBN 1582881669 is actually for an omnibus edition of both Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass. It should not be combined with either individual work.

This classic story is about a young curious girl, Alice, whose adventurous daydreams lead her to a magical place called Wonderland. Wonderland is full of outrageous creatures, experiences, and adventures. This book is great for students who are in the transition period between children's literature and young adult literature, as it can be studied at the surface level for plot and characters, or more in depth, by studying the author's use of figurative language. In fact, the whole story can be discussed as a long metaphor. This book inspired many other works of young adult literature, and a teacher can ask students to research and dscover these as well.

AR 7.8, Pts 10.0
Die Erwachsenen -- allen voran die Literaturwissenschaftler -- beanspruchen Alice im Wunderland ja gerne für sich. Dabei gehören Alices Traumabenteuer den Kindern: Hatte sie doch der britische Autor Lewis Carroll während eines Bootsausflugs für die kleine Alice Lidell und ihre Schwestern erfunden. Die vorliegende Hörspielfassung ist ganz für Kinderohren gemacht und damit wohl im Sinne des Erfinders.

Geräuschvoll präsentiert sich ein bunter Reigen vorwitziger Gestalten: ein weißes Kaninchen, eine wasserpfeifenpaffende Raupe, eine stets grinsende Chesterkatze, eine Schlafmaus, der Herzkönig und die Herzkönigin. Es wird gegurrt, geknurrt, gegrunzt und gesungen. Man spielt Croquet mit Flamingoschlägern und tanzt die Hummerquadrille ohne Hummer. "Wir sind hier alle verrückt", sagt die Chesterkatze und löst sich mal wieder in Luft auf. Und es wird sogar gefährlich: "Weg mit dem Kopf!", schreit die Königin im Wunderland ihren Untertanen bei jeder sich bietenden Gelegenheit entgegen.

Muß man sich in diesem Tohuwabohu um Alice Sorgen machen? Nein, keineswegs. Denn mit gesundem Kinderverstand und einer guten Portion Entschlußkraft befreit sie sich aus so mancher verzwickten Situation. Und ganz ernst nimmt sie die Wesen -- ob Mensch oder Tier -- dann letztendlich auch nicht.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0451532007, 0141199687

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,622,936 books! | Top bar: Always visible