Church of Lies by Flora Jessop

Church of Lies (2009)

by Flora Jessop

94None130,587 (3.67)7

I can't help but be fascinated by polygamy and the FLDS as much as I am horrified by it. This is the amazing memoir of a woman who grew up in polygamy and did eventually escape it. She fights for the women and children abused by the FLDS to this day. Flora recounts her abusive childhood including a rape by her own father, her marriage to her first cousin and the horrifying other abuses that she saw. A really fascinating and horrifying read. ( )
  bookwormteri | Jan 30, 2014 |
A book about living in the FLDS and how people who get out are helping those still inside escape. ( )
  Strawberryga | Dec 28, 2013 |
Very heart wrenching story! It does contain graphic descriptions and will make you sad and angry, but it never hurts to tell the truth, for the truth will set you free. Flora is such an inspiration. It is AMAZING that she was able to escape with her life, and now she continues to put her life on the line for those who also want to escape. This one will grab you by the heart and not let go. You may even feel the need to volunteer your time to help someone else. Keep up the good work Flora! Bravo!! ( )
  TFS93 | Dec 11, 2011 |
I have read quite few books similar to this one but I simply couldnt fully believe everything Jessop says. Before making it half way through the book theres a blood spattering street knife fight, a mob connection, flying through windows, the list goes on.... I dont exactly disbelieve her as I know some of what she says must have truth to it- but it seems exaggerated and I didnt buy it. Maybe the language threw me off. Just didnt seem right. ( )
  lalunoux | Jan 8, 2011 |
This book was difficult to read due to the abuse which the author suffered. It is a motivational book, making you want to reach out and help those who are still suffering. If anyone is interested in behind-the-scene of polygamy, read this book. ( )
  Cottontail | Dec 27, 2010 |
This book is dedicated to all abuse victims and survivors. Freedom, love, and family were things twisted and rotten, but courage, strength, and dreams of safety carried us to a new life. Hold your heads high, know you are worth being loved, and let the world see your tears while you look them in the eye. God is not vengeful and vindictive. Believe in a just and loving God. Escape the fear and shame of abuse. Only by breaking the cycle can we finally be free.

To those who abuse: the sin is yours, the crime is yours, and the shame is yours. To those who protect the perpetrators: blaming the victims only masks the evil within, making you as guilty as those who abuse. Stand up for the innocent or go down with the rest.
Introduction: My Name Is Flora Jessop.

My name is Flora Jessop. I've been called an apostate, vigilante, and crazy bitch, and maybe I am. But some people call me a hero, and I'd like to think they're right too.

Chapter 1: The End of Innocence

As I walked through the heavy wooden door into the baptismal building, most of the light disappeared.

From the Preface:

"My name is Flora Jessop. I've been called apostate, vigilante, and crazy bitch, and maybe I am. But some people call me a hero, and I'd like to think they're right too. If I am a hero, maybe it's because every time I can play a part in saving a child or a woman from a life of servitude and degradation, I'm saving a little piece of me, too.

I was one of twenty-eight children born to my dad and his three wives. Indoctrinated to believe that the outside world was evil, and that I resided among the righteous, I was destined to marry a man chosen for me by the Prophet. I would then live in harmony with my sister-wives, bear many children, and obey and serve my future husband in this life and throughout eternity. But my innocence didn't last long. While still a child, I understood that the church of the righteous was nothing but a church of lies.

When I was eight years old my father sexually molested me for the first time, raping me when I was twelve. I tried to kill myself. Beaten, molested, taunted, and abused by family members alleging they only wanted to save my soul became a daily routine, I ran from this abuse more than once in my early teens--even attempting to cross the desert on foot. My family hunted me down. I thought government agencies would provide me safety if I reported my father. Instead, police and social services colluded with the FLDS to return me to my family and I ended up back inside polygamy, right where I started."

Flora goes on from there to tell the dramatic true story of how she ultimately escaped and has been fighting against frustrating obstacles with hard fought successes in rescuing women and children from the FLDS. It's a story you can't put down.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:34 -0400)

"How Flora Jessop escaped the slavery and sexual abuse of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and dedicated herself to the continuing rescue and successful liberation of women and children from this notorious sect"--Jacket.

114 wanted1 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,456,767 books! | Top bar: Always visible