The Fragments of Heraclitus by Heraclitus

The Fragments of Heraclitus (edition 2013)

by Heraclitus (Author), G. T. W. Patrick (Translator)

Fragments of wisdom from the ancient world In the sixth century b.c.-twenty-five hundred years before Einstein--Heraclitus of Ephesus declared that energy is the essence of matter, that everything becomes energy in flux, in relativity. His great book, On Nature, the world's first coherent philosophical treatise and touchstone for Plato, Aristotle, and Marcus Aurelius, has long been lost to history--but its surviving fragments have for thousands of years tantalized our greatest thinkers, from Montaigne to Nietzsche, Heidegger to Jung. Now, acclaimed poet Brooks Haxton presents a powerful free-verse translation of all 130 surviving fragments of the teachings of Heraclitus, with the ancient Greek originals beautifully reproduced en face. For more than seventy years, Penguin has been the leading publisher of classic literature in the English-speaking world. With more than 1,700 titles, Penguin Classics represents a global bookshelf of the best works throughout history and across genres and disciplines. Readers trust the series to provide authoritative texts enhanced by introductions and notes by distinguished scholars and contemporary authors, as well as up-to-date translations by award-winning translators.… (more)
Member:asbkito
Title:The Fragments of Heraclitus
Authors:Heraclitus (Author)
Other authors:G. T. W. Patrick (Translator)
Info:Digireads.com (2013), 82 pages
Tags:read, Ancient Greece, philosophy, cannon

Fragments by Heraclitus

I was thinking about the quotation “The only constant is change,” and how much it reflects our modern world. I wondered who said it first and was shocked to learn it was a philosopher from Ancient Greece, one I was unfamiliar with. Heraclitus. He lived around 500 B.C.E. so his ideas feeling so current is indicative of the quality of his ideas. I decided to read what else he had to say, which is not a lot because only Fragments remain.

A lot of us have probably also heard that we only step in the same river twice as well. That’s another one from Heraclitus as is the idea that life is flux, life is change. What remains are short refrains, full of impatience with ignorance and human weakness. He probably was not a fun guy at parties. But he had a lot to say about how we perceive the world.

If everything
were turned to smoke,
the nose would
be the seat of judgment.

I chose this because it is not famous, but it is true. We perceive the obvious. How do we discern more? Through wisdom and judgment. His ideas are a good antidote to disinformation, such as his suggestion “Let us not make rash guesses our most lucid thoughts.”

I don’t know Greek, let alone ancient Greek, so have no capacity for judging the translation by Brooks Haxton. I like how he presents it in poetic refrains, unlike another translation I looked at. The Greek is on the facing page, so scholars can check his work.

Fragments is short and sweet. You can read all of his work in thirty minutes and then you can reflect on it for a lifetime.

Fragments at Penguin Random House
Heraclitus at Ancient.eu

https://tonstantweaderreviews.wordpress.com/2019/05/06/9781440679285/ ( )
  Tonstant.Weader | May 6, 2019 |
The introduction to this work is inevitably longer than the fragments themselves. What survives is a mish-mash of various interpretations and I daresay unreliable sources. What strikes me about the pre-Socratics, and Heraclitus specifically, is the melding of religion and reason in a way that the West would not mention when the modern cultural monolith seeks its origins in a part of the world where it is fine to claim mythic philosophical ancestry, yet it is despised when one's pedigree is pure. On the first page of the fragments, Heraclitus mentions the trouble with those who will not learn: "III. - ...Those who hear and do not understand are like the deaf. Of them the proverb says: "Present, they are absent,"

IV. — Eyes and ears are bad witnesses to men having rude souls.

V. — The majority of people have no understanding of the things with which they daily meet, nor, when instructed, do they have any right knowledge of them, although to themselves they seem to have.

VI. — They understand neither how to hear nor how to speak.

This is not entirely a Western idea, for indeed, Confucius said, “When you see that [students] do something wrong, give them sincere and friendly advice, which may guide them to the right way; if they refuse to accept your advice, then give it up”.
Reading Heraclitus leads me to Pythagoras as my next venture into pre-Socratic philosophy, and also to Hesiod's Theogony. It would seem that there is much to learn from this period of history, and how it echoes down through the ages. ( )
  madepercy | Nov 7, 2017 |
Sort of the Ur-book of Greek philosphy. But more than that. Maybe less. It's all the same, right? ( )
  rnsulentic | May 6, 2017 |

86.

The living, though they yearn
for consummation of their fate,
need rest, and in their turn leave
children to fulfill their doom.

90.

Even a soul submerged in sleep
is hard at work, and helps
make something of the world.

95.

The waking have one world
in common. Sleepers
meanwhile turn aside, each
into a darkness of his own.

105.

Yearning hurts,
and what release
may come of it
feels much like death.

111.

What use are these people's wits
who let themselves be led
by speechmakers, in crowds,
without considering
how many fools and thieves
they are among, and how few
choose the good?
The best choose progress
toward one thing, a name
forever honored by the gods,
while others eat their way
toward sleep like nameless oxen.
  S.D. | Apr 5, 2014 |
A very loose, non-literal translation (Brooks Haxton in the Penguin paperback), but interesting because it's got the Greek text on the left-hand facing pages to the English translation. A volume that could entice someone to learn ancient Greek. ( )
  CurrerBell | Dec 4, 2013 |

Heraclitusprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hillman, JamesForewordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Carbone, SalvatoreIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Haxton, BrooksTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parinetto, LucianoEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Robinson, T. M.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Robinson, T.M.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Word proves those first hearing it as numb to understanding as the ones who have not heard.

The only basis
    Of "Real":  Change.  Parmenides,
    Pythagoras:  wrong!

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,770,503 books! | Top bar: Always visible