Eats, Shoots & Leaves: Why, Commas Really Do…

Eats, Shoots & Leaves: Why, Commas Really Do Make a Difference!

by Lynne Truss

This book clarifies the importance of using commas by showing the difference via pictures. What I really like about this book was that, at the end, the author specifies why the positions of commas make a difference in each example. A very clever, cute book that I would use even for helping high school students understand the significance of punctuation. ( )
  vroussel | Feb 5, 2015 |
When I saw this book I knew I would love it and could learn a lesson or two from it. I make comma mistakes frequently in my writing, as do many elementary students. This book shows what a big difference a comma could make when writing. This book is funny and students can enjoy making fun of the mistakes, that they too make. One example from the book: Slow children crossing. vs Slow, children crossing. The first sentence is missing the period and therefore sounds like the author is saying kids, that are slow, are crossing. I would recommend this book for any English lessons about commas. Appropriate for grades 1-5, but older grades could benefit and appreciate the humor. "A dot with a tail has a lot of power." ( )
  epoche | Nov 6, 2014 |
Eats, Shoots and Leaves (Why Commas Really Do Make A Difference)– By Lynne Truss (Picture Book)

I liked the book, Eats, Shoots and Leaves, By Lynne Truss because it is a funny way of introducing the importance of commas to children as well as other punctuation marks. The book uses commas in different ways to make mistakes in order to get the points across, my favorite example from the book is, “Look at that huge hot dog,” and “Look at the huge, hot dog.” The illustrations exemplified the mistakes to emphasize the importance of punctuation marks as well as make the children laugh. For example, for the hot dog example I used above, the first example had a picture of a giant hotdog, while the second example had a picture of a giant dog that was very hot. ( )
  sconne7 | Sep 22, 2014 |
A clever book of punctuation advice shows the importance of an appropriately-placed comma in a sentence. While it is good to know where the comma(s) should be, the mistakes are hilarious! ( )
  lbblackwell | Jul 30, 2014 |
Summary:
This book discusses the use of commas by showing how the placement of commas can change the entire meaning of a sentence.
Instructional Use:
This is a great book to illustrate this concept to students and use in a mini-lesson on comma usage. Correlates with NAD Reading Standard LA.4.RI.3 and Language Arts Standard LA.4.L.2. ( )
  mrspriest | Jul 13, 2014 |

Is an adaptation of

This is the children's version of "Eats Shoots & Leaves".

Illuminating the comical confusion the lowly comma can cause, this new edition of Eats, Shoots & Leaves uses lively, subversive illustrations to show how misplacing or leaving out a comma can change the meaning of a sentence completely.

This picture book is sure to elicit gales of laughter—and better punctuation—from all who read it.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:31 -0400)

See how using (or not using) a comma can change the meaning of a sentence.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,729,828 books! | Top bar: Always visible