The Daily Five: Fostering Literacy…

The Daily Five: Fostering Literacy Independence in the Elementary Grades (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Gail Boushey, Joan Moser

Member:monhegan5
Title:The Daily Five: Fostering Literacy Independence in the Elementary Grades
Authors:Gail Boushey
Other authors:Joan Moser
Info:Stenhouse Publishers (2006), Edition: 1, Paperback, 126 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:teaching stamina literacy management

The Daily Five by Gail Boushey (2006)

Selected e-content from Google Books http://goo.gl/0bN3mM

Goodreads review : As good as the first. Great add-ins include the Math Daily 3 & supporting "barometer" children in the classroom. Highly recommend for those looking to establish a literacy structure in their classroom.

Contents: That was then, this is now: how the Daily 5 has evolved --Our core beliefs: the foundations of the Daily 5 --
The 10 steps to teaching and learning independence --
What do you need to being the Daily 5 --
Launching read to self--the first Daily 5 --
Foundation lessons --
When to launch the next daily 5 --
The math Daily 3 --
Returning to our core beliefs.
  COREEducation | Apr 30, 2015 |
Ahh, can not say I am one hundred percent sold on the idea. Maybe after I get into my own classroom I may feel differently. I like the way they made their students feel independent, I liked the way they modeled everything that was expected of the students, but I am not sure I want to do this program when I first start teaching. Maybe I will.. Its too soon. ( )
  ronicadibartolo | Nov 11, 2013 |
A great resource. Keeps the students engaged and provides the needed practice they need. ( )
  sheilasquire | Sep 17, 2013 |
Do you love teaching but feel exhausted from the energy you expend cajoling, disciplining, and directing students on a daily basis? If so, you'll want to meet “The Sisters”, Gail Boushey and Joan Moser. Based on literacy learning and motivation research, they created a structure called The Daily Five which has been practiced and refined in their own classrooms for ten years, and shared with thousands of teachers throughout the United States. The Daily Five is a series of literacy tasks (reading to self, reading with someone, writing, word work, and listening to reading) which students complete daily while the teacher meets with small groups or confers with individuals.

Melanie1 | Jun 21, 2011 |
Even though I teach middle school and this book is focused on primary grades, it has given me a lot of ideas that I have been able to use in my sixth grade class! ( )
  elissajanine | Nov 6, 2010 |

Gail Bousheyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Moser, Joanmain authorall editionsconfirmed

The Daily Five is a series of literacy tasks (reading to self, reading with someone, writing, word work, and listening to reading) which students complete daily while the teacher meets with small groups or confers with individuals. This book not only explains the philosophy behind the structure, but shows you how to carefully and systematically train your students to participate in each of the five components. Explicit modeling practice, reflecting and refining take place during the launching phase, preparing the foundation for a year of meaningful content instruction tailored to meet the needs of each child. The Daily Five is more than a management system or a curriculum framework; it is a structure that will help students develop the habits that lead to a lifetime of independent literacy.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,565,714 books! | Top bar: Always visible