The Magicians: A Novel (Magicians Trilogy)…

The Magicians: A Novel (Magicians Trilogy) (original 2009; edition 2010)

by Lev Grossman (Author)

Series: The Magicians (1)

8,702614712 (3.45)1 / 445
As a senior in high school Quentin Coldwater became preoccupied with a series of fantasy novels he read as a child, set in a magical land called Fillory. After graduating from college and being admitted into a highly exclusive, secret society of magic in upstate New York, he makes a stunning discovery: Fillory is real. But the land of Quentin's fantasies turns out to be much darker and more dangerous than he could have imagined for his childhood dream becomes a nightmare with a shocking truth at its heart.… (more)
Member:Toastar
Title:The Magicians: A Novel (Magicians Trilogy)
Authors:Lev Grossman (Author)
Info:Penguin Books (2010), 432 pages

Work Information

The Magicians by Lev Grossman (2009)

The Secret History by Donna Tartt (middled, kraaivrouw, Euryale)
    Euryale: No magic, but I thought the tone and setting were otherwise very similar.
    The Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis (Jannes)
    Jannes: The Magicians wolud not exist if it wasn't for the Narnia books, and is really a kind of loving deconstruction of Lewis' work. What could be better than giving the books that inspired it a try?
    Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders by Neil Gaiman (catfantastic)
    catfantastic: Read the short story "The Problem of Susan" included in this collection.
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J. K. Rowling (sonyagreen)
    sonyagreen: It's like HP goes to college, complete with drinking and sex.
    Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Magic is real in a world we recognize--Napoleonic England and contemporary New York.
    The Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins (TFleet)
    TFleet: Both novels are centered in the modern real world, but with a set of young adults who have magical powers. The novels are different takes on the question, "What would the modern real world be like if there were magic?"
    Little, Big by John Crowley (rarm)
    rarm: Fairy tale worlds that reveal a hidden darkness.
    The Chronicles of Chrestomanci: Charmed Life / The Lives of Christopher Chant by Diana Wynne Jones (Anonymous user)
    The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly (rnmcusic)
    Harry Potter (Books 1-7) by J. K. Rowling (elleeldritch)
    elleeldritch: An adult version of Harry Potter (and Narnia), albeit with a different (but still interesting) magic scheme.
    A College of Magics by Caroline Stevermer (beyondthefourthwall)
    beyondthefourthwall: Teenagers suddenly plunged into the magical-boarding-school experience and, once their training is behind them, having to figure out who is trustworthy, what they need to do with their lives, whether they are being summoned into leadership roles, and maybe - just maybe - where their reality is coming from in the first place.… (more)
    Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire (Cecrow)
    Shadowland by Peter Straub (Scottneumann)
    Dreams and Shadows by C. Robert Cargill (Scottneumann)
    The Alchemyst by Michael Scott (Jess1106)
    The Voodoo Killings by Kristi Charish (charlie68)
    Vita Nostra by Sergey Dyachenko (KatyBee)
    The Silver Nutmeg: The Story of Anna Lavinia and Toby by Palmer Brown (tetrachromat)
    tetrachromat: Both describe the reflections of certain pools of water as windows onto other realities. The Silver Nutmeg, however, is much less dark and aimed at younger readers.
    Phantastes by George MacDonald (charlie68)
    charlie68: Similar themes.
    The Once and Future King by T. H. White (wandering_star)
    wandering_star: I thought of making this recommendation when reading the magical education section of The Magicians, which reminded me of the first book of The Once and Future King. But the wider idea - that magical powers can't stop us from making stupid human mistakes - is also relevant to both books.… (more)

English (610)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (613)
I wanted to like this. Magic, people my age! Finally!..........nope.

I didn't like Quentin, I didn't like his friends, I found Fillory boring and annoying. Nothing interesting happened at the school. The magic didn't feel like magic. There was almost nothing magical about this book. I dragged myself through his time at Brakebills hoping it would get more interesting after he graduated, but I found myself getting more and more bored and annoyed. I basically stopped reading. I just skimmed through the pages. Technically I can't say I actually finished it.

banrions | Dec 7, 2021 |
DNF. 68% and I cannot force myself to spend more time on this. Just not for me. Disliked all of the characters and found it boring. Hard to keep reading when you don't care...
  Cerestheories | Nov 8, 2021 |
More like an alternate take on Narnia than an adult version of Harry Potter, I enjoyed it nonetheless. I look forward to reading the next one! ( )
  nosborm | Oct 10, 2021 |
Bought the book because I liked the series on SyFy. Events and characters are similar but different enough to be interesting. School is smaller. Less sex, drugs and partying at the school, though it is in there. Characters less ethnically diverse. Alice is not blond. I hate Hollywood always making everyone blond. Good book. ( )
  mgplavin | Oct 3, 2021 |
After arriving for a college interview to find his interviewer dead, Quentin Coldwater is about to find that's one of the least surprising things that will happen to him that day. He is invited to and admitted to a selective and secret magical college. That's right: magical. The training isn't easy, and it tests them in some rather trying ways. After graduation, Quentin and his friends stumble into a world none of them thought really existed, and in the process learn things they might have preferred never to know.

I was honestly conflicted with this book. I like the setting and the concept--it's just the type of book I like to read in that regard. But I had a really difficult time with the characters, especially Quentin. I mentioned above that the training was trying and one might think that would lead to some semblance of self-awareness. Yet, Quentin lacks it. Honestly, he's probably the most unlikeable protagonist I've encountered while reading that comes to mind. And it doesn't come across to me that he's intended to be so unlikeable, which had me scratching my head and frowning often while reading (especially later in the book).

That said, the book is enjoyable and entertaining. And when you look past just how incredibly flawed Quentin is with few redeeming factors, there is an epic fantasy tale being told. ( )
1 vote crtsjffrsn | Aug 27, 2021 |
”Magikerna” marknadsförs som ”Harry Potter för vuxna”, men i själva verket är det en ovanligt vacker sorgesång över hur det är att lämna barndomen. Det var faktiskt bättre förr, när man kunde uppslukas helt av leken.
added by Jannes | editDagens nyheter, Lotta Olsson (Feb 4, 2013)

This isn't just an exercise in exploring what we love about fantasy and the lies we tell ourselves about it -- it's a shit-kicking, gripping, tightly plotted novel that makes you want to take the afternoon off work to finish it.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Oct 20, 2009)

It’s the original magic — storytelling — that occasionally trips Grossman up. Though the plot turns new tricks by the chapter, the characters have a fixed, “Not Another Teen Movie” quality. There’s the punk, the aesthete, the party girl, the fat slacker, the soon-to-be-hot nerd, the shy, angry, yet inexplicably irresistible narrator. Believable characters form the foundation for flights of fantasy. Before Grossman can make us care about, say, the multiverse, we need to intuit more about Quentin’s interior universe.

Somewhat familiar, albeit entertaining... Grossman's writing is intelligent, but don't give this one to the kids—it's a dark tale that suggests our childhood fantasies are no fun after all.
added by Shortride | editPeople, Sue Corbett (Aug 31, 2009)

Grossman has written both an adult coming-of-age tale—rife with vivid scenes of sex, drugs, and heartbreak—and a whimsical yarn about forest creatures. The subjects aren’t mutually exclusive, and yet when stirred together so haphazardly, the effect is jarring. More damaging still is the plot, which takes about 150 pages to gain any steam, surges dramatically in the book’s final third, and then peters out with a couple chapters left to go.
added by Shortride | editBookforum, Michael Shaer (Aug 14, 2009)

Lev Grossmanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bramhall, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sámi, LászlóTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I'll break my staff,
Bury it certain fathoms in the earth,
And deeper than did ever plummet sound
I'll drown my book.

--William Shakespeare, The Tempest
For Lily
Quentin did a magic trick. Nobody noticed.
That guy was a mystery wrapped in an enigma and crudely stapled to a ticking fucking time bomb. He was either going to hit somebody or start a blog.
Space was full of angry little particles.
He had no interest in TV anymore - it looked like an electronic puppet show to him, an artificial version of an imitation world that meant nothing to him anyway. Real life - or was it a fantasy life? whichever one Brakebills was - that was what mattered, and that was happening somewhere else.
No one would come right out and say it, but the worldwide magical ecology was suffering from a serious imbalance: too many magicians, not enough monsters.
"Never cook with a wine you wouldn't drink," he said. "Though I guess that presupposes that there is a wine I wouldn't drink."

Plume

An edition of this book was published by Plume.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,622,873 books! | Top bar: Always visible