Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein

Starship Troopers (original 1959; edition 1987)

by Robert A. Heinlein (Author)

11,195208503 (3.84)307
With Earth embroiled in a vast interplanetary war with the "Bugs," a young recruit in the Federal Reserves relates his experiences training in boot camp and as a junior officer in the Terran Mobile Infantry.
Member:Michael_J
Title:Starship Troopers
Authors:Robert A. Heinlein (Author)
Info:Ace (1987), 290 pages
Collections:Wishlist

Work Information

Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein (1959)

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (5hrdrive)
    The Forever War by Joe Haldeman (goodiegoodie)
    Old Man's War by John Scalzi (goodiegoodie, jlynno84)
    Edge of Tomorrow by Hiroshi Sakurazaka (dClauzel)
    dClauzel: Starship Troopers et All You Need Is Kill ont tous les deux la même intensité, avec de brèves périodes de forte violence pour une quête de la recherche du sens.
    War Stories: New Military Science Fiction by Jaym Gates (dClauzel)
    dClauzel: Des instantanés de guerre, avec des super soldats humains et des technologies déshumanisantes… ou est-ce l’inverse ? Bonus : des extra-terrestres.
    The Lazarus War: Artefact by Jamie Sawyer (dClauzel)
    dClauzel: Des soldats dans l’espace. Des extraterrestres. Des armures de combat. Vélocité. Fatal.
    47 Echo by Shawn Kupfer (tottman)
    tottman: This book reminded me of Starship Troopers, without the aliens. A fun, quick, military romp with a healthy suspension of disbelief.
    Even Peons are People: Interplanetary Justice by D. Pak (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Interesting thought on the military and their responsibilities in a space travelling society.
    Kris Longknife: Mutineer by Mike Shepherd (jlynno84)
    Brothers in Arms by Ben Weaver (infiniteletters)

English (196)  French (5)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (203)
2.75 stars.
So, the movie was better than the book, in that it had much more excitement and action. I can also understand why they went the way they did with the movie. However, the book told a much more interesting story than the movie.

While the book was fascinating, it was rather boring. The story is told from future Juan Rico's point of view. It was almost like a memior in that he spoke of how he came to volunteer for for service, his time in boot, his first missions, how he ranked up, and so on. All of it was interesting, but very blah. It's the only way I can currently think to explain it.

Rico's story kept me listening because I wanted to hear it, and also note the [vast] differences between book and novel.

The narration was terrible, and the copy I borrowed from the library also had audio issues. This did not help my enjoyment of the book. It was just bland. Perhaps better audio and a livelier narrator would have helped, but I cannot say for certian. This hasn't soured me on the author, however. I will definitely check out more of his work. ( )
  ViragoReads | Sep 17, 2022 |
Incrível história de treinamento militar, desde os ataques inimigos, a construção social que motiva os personagens e o extensivo treino, com diversas etapas, dificuldades e finalmente uma missão de captura. O autor constrói as estratégias e testes de força que soam extremamente convincentes e detalhados.

Vencedor do prêmio Hugo de 1960. ( )
  henrique_iwao | Aug 30, 2022 |
I hate this book. ( )
  J.Flux | Aug 13, 2022 |
I would have rated this higher but when an author advocated spanking, well, any violence against children, I'm turned off. I didn't mind the whole boot camp training but I was expecting more battles.

I never saw the movie though I understand they are radically different but I felt there should have been more fighting. ( )
  pacbox | Jul 9, 2022 |
Sennilega umdeildasta bók Heinleins. Ber þess merki að Vietnam stríðið var nýlega hafið og hann var stuðningsmaður hernaðaraðgerða. Herinn er lofsunginn í þessari sögu og líkamlegar refsingar hafa útrýmt nær öllum glæpum í framtíðarsamfélaginu.
Sagan er ákaflega hæg og er aðallega þjálfunarferli og uppbygging stjörnustríðshermanna. ( )
  SkuliSael | Apr 28, 2022 |

Lehr, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lundgren, CarlCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Warhola, JamesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilson, GeorgeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To "Sarge" Arthur George Smith - SOLDIER, CITIZEN, SCIENTIST - AND TO ALL SERGEANTS ANYWHERE WHO HAVE LABORED TO MAKE MEN OUT OF BOYS. R.A.H.
I always get the shakes before a drop.
Anyone who clings to the historically untrue-and thoroughly immoral-doctrine that 'violence never settles anything' I would advise to conjure up the ghosts of Napoleon Bonaparte and of the Duke of Wellington and let them debate it. The ghost of Hitler could referee, and the jury might well be the Dodo, the Great Auk, and the Passenger Pigeon. Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedom.
"The noblest fate that a man can endure is to place his own mortal body betwen his loved home and war's desolation."

In one of Robert Heinlein's most controversial best-sellers, a recruit of the future goes through the toughest boot camp in the Universe--and into battle against mankind's most frightening enemy.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,761,762 books! | Top bar: Always visible