Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

The Diary Of A Young Girl: The Definitive…

The Diary Of A Young Girl: The Definitive Edition (original 1947; edition 1997)

by Anne Frank (Author)

The diary as Anne Frank wrote it. At last, in a new translation, this definitive edition contains entries about Anne's burgeoning sexuality and confrontations with her mother that were cut from previous editions. Anne Frank's The Diary of a Young Girl is among the most enduring documents of the twentieth century.… (more)
Member:JaynesHat
Title:The Diary Of A Young Girl: The Definitive Edition
Authors:Anne Frank (Author)
Info:Penguin Books Ltd (1997), Edition: Definitive Ed, 352 pages

Work Information

Diary of a Young Girl: The Definitive Edition by Anne Frank (1947)

Maus by Art Spiegelman (artturnerjr)
    artturnerjr: Two stories of the Holocaust. One is in prose, the other is in comics format; both are appealing to diverse audiences.
    Night by Elie Wiesel (LiteraryReadaholic)
    Ruth Maier's Diary: A Young Girl's Life Under Nazism by Ruth Maier (JessamyJane)
    Anne Frank's Tales from the Secret Annex by Anne Frank (Cecrow)
    Mischling, Second Degree: My Childhood in Nazi Germany by Ilse Koehn (SusannainSC)
    SusannainSC: The other side of the coin: a German Jew who survived - in the Nazi Youth.
    Hidden Letters by Deborah Slier & Ian Shine (meggyweg)
    meggyweg: Two collections of writings by two teenage victims of the Holocaust in the Netherlands.
    Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Great stories of hope and survival in the face of brutality and genocide
    The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (LiteraryReadaholic)
    The Help by Kathryn Stockett (infiniteletters)
    infiniteletters: Lest we forget the lost

I read this book as secular Judaica, as opposed to Judaism, in the sense that it speaks to a group history that all Jews share, the Holocaust, regardless of their beliefs on religion. And on one level Anne Frank certainly is a Jew hiding out in Nazi Europe. (The “why have I been chosen to live” entry is just so beautiful.)

But especially since she’s in hiding and not in a camp yet, most of it concerns the other level—the Girl of the 1940s, back when Things Were The Way They Should Be, and teenagers had no way out of the whole chauvinist adult thing.

Which is different, for me. I was geeky and withdrawn when I was younger than twenty and not much of a teenager, but I was a sulky teenager when I was 23 or 24 because I wanted a whole lot more love from the world than I was getting, which is embarrassing in my memory, since I had things that a lot of people never get, and now my default position is that teenagers should grow up. (Anne got that eventually, which is nice.)

But reading Anne Frank, the Girl of the 1940s, living in the world that was still The Way It Should Be, and I have to admit the obvious, right.

(Of course, it’s not really obvious what it /is/; it’s just obvious what it’s /not/.)

…. It is sad when they fall in love and it’s the Holocaust, so there’s that; it comes back.

…. And the other thing is, her adolescence would have been easier to navigate if they hadn’t been cooped up, but nobody harangued about Hitler: they turned on each other.

We don’t talk about the king; it’s the 1940s and that’s just the way it should be!

(I’m not suggesting that hating your enemy is a good, but I am suggesting that hating your brother because you’re so afraid that you can’t admit that you have an enemy is an evil.)

…. Anyway, it’s a good book:

Six million is just a statistic, but one girl’s death is a tragedy.
~Stalin, sorta

(And Narnia Jack said most people who do some thinking start before the age of fourteen.)

…. It’s striking that one of those in hiding said that she thought that the Germans would win in the end—Hitler’ll get us all in the end, right. The Germans certainly did a good job at killing and destroying in that war, and the Axis killed what tens of million of people, in Poland (eleven) and Russia and Ukraine and so on, and the Franks certainly had the terms of their existence dictated to them by Hitler’s war, the Nazi armies. He’ll get us all in the end…. And in a certain sense the Germans certainly did win, at least compared to the Jews. At least if you’re going to count bodies, the Germans won, and as far as the military dictatorship style goes, they won in style. The Jews had to hide, then get slaughtered. It’s famous that the Germans decided not to do that again, but equally too the Jews.

As for Anne Frank herself and her philosophy of beauty, I don’t know how to find beauty in this world, frankly. Her mother was probably an awful Pharisee but I like her pre-jazz philosophy better: it could be worse, so be glad it’s not worse. You’re in hiding, but be glad you’re not in a camp. Be glad you’re alive. I suppose in a way that they’re both forms of gratitude, but the gratitude of the flirt and the beauty-lover is just not as suited to me as the gratitude of the Stoic or the Religious (to use the technical form of that word in the most domestic possible way, ha).

…. But sometimes I am sufficiently ‘jazz’ to eat a donut.

…. When she does say something big, it’s pretty good.

There’s nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.
Shakespeare

Honestly, things are only as bad as you make them.
Anne Frank

Or when she says, you know, Maybe when the war’s over if there are still Jews people will start to respect our religion.

Too bad God has this ugly partiality when it comes to religion, and the man is no Jew, right. (You know, the thing about the honest relativist is, they’re the only one who cares a whit about what a body is in the absolute, and not just, Relative To Me.)

But see the above. It’s always been like this, for as long as books remember.

…. She thought that it would all be over soon and, in a way, she was right.

(Oh, the horror and the sadness.)

…. But she lived before she died, right, if only for a little while, and that is all that can be said of us mortals, you know.
  goosecap | Jul 30, 2021 |
I never got to read this in school and reading it as an adult was interesting, both from a historical point of view and from a personal story/character study perspective.

It's amazing how real Anne felt, like a real person. I doubt my prose at her age could have achieved such vivid imagery. The logistics of 8 people hiding in such a small space for such a long time and in such difficult circumstances were fascinating to me, too. I do have to say that some passages felt... not genuine. Perhaps Anne was trying on different personas and opinions as she was developing and growing as a person but every now and again there'd be a passage that just didn't ring true. The diaries have been authenticated so I suppose it was all her work. I would have loved to see what kind of adult she would have grown up into and I can't help picturing their arrest and how Anne must have felt, her emotions about being found and arrested, and then going to prison and the camps. Was she optimistic till the last moment? I hope so. ( )
  JuliaMay | Dec 10, 2020 |
This book captures the attention of some many readers , allowing you enter in a world where things are negatively changing and tomorrow is not promise . The Dairy of A Young Girl : The Definitive Edition takes place in Frankfurt Germany where a jewish girl named Anne Frank is hiding along with her family from Nazis , who plan to captive all jewish people to place them in concentration camp. The book will connect well when focusing on World War too and some of the most tragic one events to ever take place. ( )
  Haley.c143 | Nov 17, 2020 |
Reading The Diary of a Young Girl after so many years was a marvel. ( )
  KatherineGregg | Aug 13, 2020 |
I recently visited the Anne Frank house while I was vacationing in Amsterdam. Was inspired to read the diary. Pretty amazing seeing the conditions on what they lived in the Annex. I think I would give this five stars if I was still an adolescent and it resonated more with me as it’s a pretty eye opening book given the time at which it took place. ( )
  jonathanpapz | Jul 2, 2020 |
Her extraordinary commitment to the immediacy of individual experience in the face of crushing circumstance is precisely what has made Anne Frank's "Diary" -- since the first edition of the book appeared in the Netherlands in 1947 -- the single most compelling personal account of the Holocaust

Frank, Anneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Frank, Otto H.Editorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cameron, EuanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Massotty, SusanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mooyaart-Doubleday, B.M.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pressler, MirjamEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roosevelt, EleanorIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiesel, ElieIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Foreword: Anne Frank kept a diary from June 12, 1942, to August 1, 1944.
June 12, 1942: I hope I will be able to confide everything to you, as I have never been able to confide in anyone, and I hope you will be a great source of comfort and support.
[April 5, 1944] I don't want to have lived in vain like most people. I want to be useful or bring enjoyment to all people, even those I've never met. I want to go on living even after my death!
Ode to My Fountain Pen / In Memoriam
The Definitive Edition of Anne Frank's Diary is complete and unabridged. Earlier editions were significantly edited by her father Otto H. Frank. Please see http://www.librarything.com/topic/563... for further discussion.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014118275X, 0141315180, 0141032006

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,309,082 books! | Top bar: Always visible