The Pickwick Papers

by Charles Dickens

8,309119865 (3.87)374
Charles Dickens's satirical masterpiece, "The Pickwick Papers," catapulted the young writer into literary fame when it was first serialized in 1836-37. It recounts the rollicking adventures of the members of the Pickwick Club as they travel about England getting into all sorts of mischief. Laugh-out-loud funny and endlessly entertaining, the book also reveals Dickens's burgeoning interest in the parliamentary system, lawyers, the Poor Laws, and the ills of debtors' prisons. As G. K. Chesterton noted, "Before ÝDickens¨ wrote a single real story, he had a kind of vision . . . a map full of fantastic towns, thundering coaches, clamorous market-places, uproarious inns, strange and swaggering figures. That vision was Pickwick."… (more)
    Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra (keremix)
    Master Humphrey's Clock and A Child's History of England by Charles Dickens (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: Pickwick and the Wellers appear again in this collected serial, in a framing story supporting numerous short works as well as the novels The Old Curiosity Shop and Barnaby Rudge.
    Nicholas Nickleby by Charles Dickens (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both books are early Dickens' novels and written in an episodic, picaresque style. Although Nicholas Nickleby is more plot-driven than The Pickwick Papers and contains some darker themes, both works are fundamentally happy Dickens novels and readers who enjoy one would probably enjoy the other.… (more)
    London Lavender by E. V. Lucas (Porua)
    Porua: E.V. Lucas’ London Lavender is the only book I can think of that comes close to the sprawling labyrinth of various narratives and its narrator's humorous but good-natured commentary about it all of Charles Dickens' The Pickwick Papers. I certainly had the same contented feeling after reading London Lavender that I did with The Pickwick Papers.… (more)
    The Darling Buds of May by H. E. Bates (thorold)
    thorold: Pop Larkin and Mr Pickwick are both Londoners who find rural idylls in Kent, and both big fans of tomato sauce, but there's also a deeper connection between these two great comic celebrations of the pleasures of lower-middle-class "vulgarity".

English (99)  Spanish (7)  Italian (4)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Czech (1)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (116)
Birthday gift from Lynn, 2022
  vandinem | Nov 19, 2022 |
Never seem to finish this, but always so great! ( )
  BooksForDinner | Oct 9, 2022 |
I was always too afraid to read Dickens but I am so glad I gave him a try! It was very funny, but also sad and sweet and thoughtful. ( )
  EmilyRaible | Sep 27, 2022 |
The Pickwick Papers FINALLY! I read this via serial reader, 115 installments. I usually read 3-4 a day, but it grew increasingly difficult. I have loved such Dickens as David Copperfield, A Tale of Two Cities, Great Expectations, and Bleak House. This was the least favorite of any I have read. The first half was ok, but the last half seemed to be farcical or slap-stick comedy, which I do not care for. It was the story of The Pickwick Club, four odd members, and their traipsing around the English countryside. Trouble always followed them. I didn't find the episodes amusing, I found them irritating. I do understand this was Dickens' first full-length novel. Glad he improved! 801 pages ( )
  Tess_W | Mar 9, 2022 |
The funniest and least saccharin of Dickens works.

More of a ramble through Victorian England than a story. As usual with Dickens, you get a lot of padding due to the way he was paid.

Some brilliantly funny scenes, amongst which Sam Weller writing a Valentine, is a good candidate for the best ever spot.

BTW a lot of these classics are available as free downloads on Amazon. ( )
  NickDuberley | Mar 5, 2022 |

Russo, RichardIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Seymour, RobertIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thanner, JosefTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tull, PatrickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Veer, Bas van derIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Waugh, AlecIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wormald, MarkEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Contains

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

This
The best edition of my books
is, of right, inscribed to my dear friend
John Forster,
Biographer of Oliver Goldsmith,
in affectionate acknowledgment
of his
counsel, sympathy, and faithful friendship
during
my whole literary life.
To Mr. Serjeant Talfourd, M.P. etc. etc.

My Dear Sir,
If I had not enjoyed the happiness of your private friendship, I should still have dedicated this work to you, as a slight and most inadequate acknowledgment of the inestimable services you are rendering to the literature of your country, and of the lasting benefits you will confer upon the authors of this and succeeding generations, by securing to them and their descendants a permanent interest in the copyright of their works.

... Accept the dedication of this book, my dear sir, as a mark of my warmest regard and esteem - as a memorial of the most gratifying friendship I have ever contracted, and of some of the pleasantest hours I have ever spent - as a token of my fervent admiration of every fine quality of your head and heart - as an assurance of the truth and sincerity with which I shall ever be,

My dear Sir,
Most faithfully and sincerely yours,
Charles Dickens.

48 Doughty Street,
September 27, 1837.
The first ray of light which illumines the gloom, and converts into a dazzling brilliancy that obscurity in which the earlier history of the public career of the immortal Pickwick would appear to be involved, is derived from the perusal of the following entry in the Transactions of the Pickwick Club, which the editor of these papers feels the highest pleasure in laying before his readers, as a proof of the careful attention, indefatigable assiduity, and nice discrimination, with which his search among the multifarious documents confided to him has been conducted.
There are very few moments in a man's existence when he experiences so much ludicrous distress, or meets with so little charitable commiseration, as when he is in pursuit of his own hat.
It is an established axiom that 'every bullet has its billet.' If it apply in an equal degree to shot, those of Mr. Winkle were unfortunate foundlings, deprived of their natural rights, cast loose upon the world, and billeted nowhere.
This is the main work The Pickwick Papers. Please do NOT combine with part 1 or part 2.

Author's main characters all profess strengths or qualities that are actually missing or which are actually weaknesses.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140436111, 0141199105

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,212,355 books! | Top bar: Always visible