The 25th Hour by David Benioff

The 25th Hour (original 2001; edition 2002)

by David Benioff

Monty Brogan starts a seven-year prison sentence for dealing drugs tomorrow. Tonight is his last night of freedom. His father wants him to run. His drug-lord boss, Uncle Blue, wants to know if he squealed. His girlfriend isn't sure what she wants, and his two best friends know one thing for sure; after he goes in, he will never be the same.… (more)
Member:librarybut
Title:The 25th Hour
Authors:David Benioff
Info:Plume (2002), Paperback, 224 pages
Tags:Drama

The 25th Hour by David Benioff (2001)

English (11)  Dutch (1)  All languages (12)
David Benioff is perfect.

I know, I know, he can't be. For a start his books are really popular, so he can't be good, right? I mean not really good, not if he's making a living out of it.

And honestly, his novels: they start at the start and end at the end, they have a story to them and fantastic characters. I mean, how passé can you get?

Hang on a tick. I think this is what I meant to say:

I started this yesterday, began it again at breakfast and couldn't do a thing until it was finished.

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. Yay for a great story full of people who are a joy to read about that makes you feel a bit weepy at the end, not to give anything away.

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY​.

bringbackbooks | Jun 16, 2020 |
3.5 stars. Great writing, funny and heartbreaking. I feel for Monty, but not too much, which is what keeps this from being a four-star review. Definitely worth reading. ( )
  ChristopherSwann | May 15, 2020 |
It's good. I like the set-up: Monty's last 24hrs before heading off for a stretch in federal prison. And the characters are very well-painted. But it fizzles a little bit at the end and doesn't wrap things up in a totally satisfying way, which is a bit disappointing. But I like Benioff's style. "City of Thieves" is definitely a better work of his, though. ( )
  chasing | Jan 18, 2016 |
This will probably be the only book I ever put on the crime novel shelf as I fear most of them are too brutal for my taste but I liked this one - great characters, dialogue and a page-turning plot. ( )
  lindap69 | Apr 5, 2013 |
This book was extremely well written, but it suffered from the all-too-frequent malady of the character-driven novel: nothing much happens. The story revolves around a drug dealer who has been convicted in federal court and is living out his last 24 hours before he must report to prison. So he gets together with his dog, his father, his two best friends, his girlfriend and some of his drug-dealing cohorts to— Well, there really is no appropriate way to mark such an occasion, is there?

Along the way, we learn about his life, his friends’ lives, his girlfriend, how he rescued his dog – all the things that make us interested in these people. But the problem is they don’t do much of anything. It seems like they’re all on the verge of making some momentous change, of somehow steering their lives – which have all gone off track, they don’t know how – back in the right direction. The teacher is going to shrug off his fear and grab a little gusto. The obsessive investment broker is going to figure out what’s really important. The drug dealer – who of course we like despite his profession – is going to figure out how to get out of going to prison.

But none of this stuff quite happens; it just almost does. Even at the end, as the drug dealer is riding with his father toward prison and his father suggests taking a wrong turn, and he ends up imagining the life he might have if he were to run – even then, he doesn’t do it. Or maybe he does. We never know. And that was the frustrating thing about this novel. It was a good read, but it left me unsatisfied, wondering how in the hell they found enough going on in this book to make a movie out of it. (Oh, that’s right, I didn’t like the movie either.) ( )
  sturlington | Oct 19, 2011 |

Is an adaptation of

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,932,713 books! | Top bar: Always visible