Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

The complete novels by Jane Austen

The complete novels (edition 2007)

by Jane Austen (Author)

In their celebration of 'little matters' - the regular round of visiting, dining out, drinking tea, of reading and walking to the shops and sending to the post - Jane Austen's letters and novels have many similarities. The thirteen letters collected by Jane Austen's House Museum, in Chawton, Hampshire and reproduced in this book give us intimate glimpses into her life in Bath and Chawton and on visits to London, many of their details finding echoes in her fiction. 'The Chawton Letters' traces a lively story beginning in 1801, when, aged twenty-five, Jane Austen left Steventon in Hampshire to move to Bath. Later letters relish the shops, theatres and sights of London, but are interspersed from 1809 with the quieter routines of village life in Chawton, Hampshire, which was to be her home for the remainder of her short life. We learn here of her anxieties for the reception of Pride and Prejudice, her care in planning Mansfield Park and the hilarious negotiations over the publication of Emma. These letters, each accompanied by reproductions from the original manuscripts in Jane Austen's hand, testify to Jane's deep emotional bond with her sister: the most moving letter of all is that written by Cassandra only days after Jane's death in Winchester in July 1817.… (more)
Member:FredLibrary60
Title:The complete novels
Authors:Jane Austen (Author)
Info:Collector's Library Editions (2007), Edition: Reprint, 1167 pages
Tags:fiction, classic lit

Sense and Sensibility / Pride and Prejudice / Mansfield Park / Emma / Northanger Abbey / Persuasion by Jane Austen

Recently added bySarah-Kathleen, MarijanPrsa, RossTatam, JKav, private library, theratsmeow, Swoopster

English (9)  Italian (1)  All languages (10)
I read Sense and sensibility and Pride and prejudice a thousand times, but I don't like Emma. I found it too laborious. ( )
  Rita_Bertani | Apr 27, 2016 |
SENSE & SENSIBILITY: I read this many years ago on vacation on Mackinic Island and when I heard the "clip clock" of the horses as I read I felt like I stept back in time. Jane Austen has an amazing way of making her characters come alive.

PRIDE AND PREJUDICE: What a wonderful classic story of how love can overcome prejudice, if one gives it a chance. Elizabeth, a strong, intelligent and independent woman, of her time, tries to find love but not to let her heart rule her mind. She tries, to the best of her ability, to determine Darsy’s character and intentions by following the counsel of others. However, she does not know till later how she let her mind rule over her heart. Fortunately, Jane Austen gives us a happy ending and all is well.

Many may say that her stories have the similar patterns and yet we forget that we are judging her by today’s standards. She wrote about what she knew, plus she knew people needed stories with happy endings. After all she lived in the time of the Napoleonic Wars. The news of death and destruction reached even the small towns and villages and these stories gave one a chance to escape from all that.

EMMA: Yet another wonderful book by Jane Austen. Emma Woodhouse, a clever and independent thinker, tries so hard to be a good daughter and friend but ends up having to rethink her approach. That being said, I still recommend this book. ( )
  SLamkin | Feb 21, 2014 |
A rare find, each story in a separate volume. I thoroughly enjoyed them all including an extra bonus shorter work where the villainous lead loses her edge and the man she hoped to entwine. Will have to add the exact title of that later. Amazing collection she created! ( )
  DorotheaSocea | Apr 28, 2012 |
My favourites in the following order :
1. Pride and Prejudice
2. Emma
3. Sense and Sensibility
4. Northanger Abbey
5. Mansfield Park
6. Persuasion ( )
  kw50197 | Aug 14, 2010 |
She is simply still the BEST. ( )
  Soheyr | Apr 4, 2010 |
The family of Dashwood had long been settled in Sussex.
This includes 6 novels: Emma, Mansfield Park, Northanger Abbey, Persuasion, Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility

Sadly I only have the two volumes of Emma.

Anthem Press

An edition of this book was published by Anthem Press.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,531,741 books! | Top bar: Always visible