The Moment Between

by Nicole Baart

"Abigail Bennett was completely in control of her life until tragedy pushed her to the brink of something she'd never experienced: obsession. Now, she's given up everything she's ever worked for to chase down the object of that obsession. His name is Tyler Kamp. As Abigail follows him across the border into Canada to a beautiful winery in British Columbia, her journey is awash in memories of family and childhood especially those of her younger sister, Hailey. Dangerously beautiful yet indefinably needy, Hailey seemed to take all the risks Abigail avoided. Until now. But even as Abigail races into her future, her past continues to pull her back. Only when she is brought to the edge of her obsession will she be able to come to terms with the tragedy that ignited it. A breathtaking story about the emotional risks of relationships, The Moment Between explores the cost of regret, the desire for revenge, and the redemptive power of forgiveness." -- Back cover.… (more)

A very well written, thought provoking book written from the perspective of a woman whose sister has committed suicide. The author cleverly weaves past and present together. There are no easy answers in this book, just a realistic look at life. This would be a good book club read. ( )
  jo2son | Nov 13, 2011 |
NCLA Review - Abigail Bennett, a successful thirty-something accountant lives a seemingly perfect life. Her life fragments when her younger sister Hailey commits suicide. Unable to cope, travels to British Columbia to confront Hailey’s boyfriend. But Abigail can only receive peace by turning to God who can provide the forgiveness and closure that she seeks. The story line contains two rotating subplots: the present with Abigail in Canada, and the past as she and her dysfunctional family relations unfold. Nicole Baart provides a poignant look at how mental illness takes its toll on an entire family. Here is a gripping fictional account of mental illness, of emotional risks of relationship, exploring the costs of regret, the desire for revenge, and the redemptive power of forgiveness. The Moment Between is a heart-wrenching and moving story not to be missed. A reading group guide is included. Rating: 4 —MF ( )
  ncla | Dec 21, 2009 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Though there were some aspects of this book I appreciated, notably the interweaving of the present narrative and the past narrative (with the past finally catching up to the present by the end), the novel seemed heavy and tedious overall. The themes are heavy, and by this very fact, it makes sense that the novel could legitimately be heavy. But I mean heavy more in the sense of a slow read made slow not because of wanting to savour the characters and experience of reading, but just of seeming to go on longer than necessary, especially in the beginning.

This is a story told mostly, but not exclusively, from Abigail's perspective. It's the story about a dysfunctional, nuclear family and Abby's role within it. It's especially the story of Abigail's experience in being a sister to Hailey, a difficult child from the start who, it turns out, is suffering from various psychological ailments, including bipolar disorder.

SPOILER ALERT: THE REMAINDER OF THIS REVIEW MAY GIVE AWAY MORE OF THE PLOT THAN SOME POTENTIAL READERS CARE TO KNOW

The trigger for Abigail's story is her finding sister's body, dead, in a bathtub, succumbed to self-inflicted cuts. Her reaction becomes of one of wanting to hold someone accountable and deciding to blame Hailey's boyfriend, Tyler (in addition to herself), who Abby sets out to find...and, it seems, kill.

The strength of Abigail's desire for revenge in the truest sense of an "eye for an eye" didn't ring true to me. As she found Tyler and got to know him, I expected that her want for vengeance would become a want for understanding, that she would come to question him and seek to better understand the last days of her sister's life. Instead, Abigail eventually finds herself with a gun pointed at Tyler and, apparently, a real possibility of pulling the trigger, something that seemed entirely implausible to me.

I felt I could relate to and understand Abby in many ways, but certainly not in her being able to point a gun at Tyler in an scene premeditated over the course of months.

One aspect I was fascinated with was the father's perspective, which was presented early on. Lou had only a grudging acceptance of his first daughter but an immediate, resonating love for his second child. I suspect this happens more often than parents let on, and I would have liked to read more from his perspective as the novel went on, but his point of view was dropped and not picked up again.

I felt the same way but not to the same degree about, Melody, the mother. In her case, it wasn't see much her perspective or thoughts I would have liked to have pursued more, but the impact of her death on her daughters. How did Hailey, especially, deal with the loss of her mother, over the longer term? Did it contribute to her demise?

In the end, Abigail is left as the only living member of this nuclear family. Her loss and grief, to me, seem broader than that related to her sister. Quite a tragic ending, but her life goes on. ( )
  Deesirings | Aug 2, 2009 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
It is hard to review a book that you don't understand. I read the first 75 pages. I had trouble following the story line. I am not dumb or learning impaired. I just found this difficult and unenjoyable to follow. So after 75 pages I sadly put it down. I don't like to do that and usually finish anyway. This was too difficult. ( )
  LivelyLady | Jul 8, 2009 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I thought this book was really, really good. But, the religious/Christian twist at the end really threw me. I'm not all that religious and if it had been listed as Christian fiction, I probably would not have read it. Most of the book was not overtly Christian fiction until the very end. I would have liked an ending that was some kind of resolution rather than faith being her salvation. ( )
  jlouise77 | Jun 23, 2009 |
So we must keep apart, You there, I here, With just the door ajar That oceans are, And prayer, And that pale sustenance, Despair! Emily Dickenson, "I Cannot Live With You"
I had been hungry all the years; My noon had come, to dine; I, trembling, drew the table near, And touched the curious wine. Emily Dickenson, "Hunger"
For Aaron
She left the world the same way that she had entered it: swathed in robes of scarlet so red and angry and portentous as to be mistaken for black.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Nicole Baart's book The Moment Between was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Nicole Baart is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,384,269 books! | Top bar: Always visible