It's in His Kiss by Julia Quinn

It's in His Kiss

by Julia Quinn

Series: Bridgertons (Hyacinth, 7)

Recently added byjesstamps, Aneris, private library, diana.n, jen12123, librogurl, carmaj, JKT27

English (35)  Italian (1)  All languages (36)
Well, this has been a disappointing read. I love this series. The characters are wonderful and most of the time I can expect a funny and good romantic story. As usual, there are a few humorous situations and comments, but this book is weaker than the previous especially the first four. Actually, I think the moment Lady Whistledown stopped writing, the books went downhill. While I liked this story more than I did To Sir Phillip, With Love, I couldn’t find that thing that made me love An Offer From a Gentleman and Romancing Mister Bridgerton.

The closest description I can think of at the moment is a much more immature version of the first book (The Duke and I). I liked Hyacinth in previous books, but here I didn’t care.
The person who provides humour here is, as usual, Lady Danbury. This time is personal for her because Gareth is her grandson. ( )
  Aneris | Aug 12, 2016 |
It's In His Kiss
4.5 Stars

Synopsis
Hyacinth Bridgerton is a handful to say the least - excessively intelligent, witty and outspoken. Most men are completely intimidated except for Gareth St. Clair who is both exasperated and charmed by her. Despised by his father, Gareth has secrets in his past that he wishes to uncover and after receiving an old family diary written in Italian, he enlists Hyacinth's help with its translation and the two set off on an adventure in intrigue and love.

Review

Definitely one of Quinn's best and ranks up there with The Viscount Who Loved Me and Romancing Mister Bridgerton as my favorite in the Bridgerton series.

Although not as steamy as When He Was Wicked, Hyacinth and Gareth's relationship is more romantic and magical. Hyacinth is my favorite Bridgerton sister, and her wit, charm and outspoken honesty make her endearing and delightful. As mentioned in many of my reviews, I am a sucker for a tortured hero and while Gareth is not as tormented as Simon, Michael or Phillip, he definitely fits into this category. He is gorgeous, witty and absolutely likeable despite one or two morally questionable actions (which are, nonetheless, quite understandable given his upbringing and fear of losing someone he loves).

Once again, the secondary characters are excellent, especially Lady Danbury whose conversations with Hyacinth had me laughing until I cried. Gareth's father is a spiteful and obnoxious villain, and it is a pity that he doesn't get more of a comeuppance.

The treasure hunt plot device is very entertaining but ultimately disappointing because it fizzles out at the end, possibly because Quinn wanted to save its conclusion for the 2nd epilogue.

Overall, a light-hearted and entertaining addition to a wonderful series. There is only one more to go, which leaves me with a bittersweet feeling. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Jun 1, 2016 |
This is a really sweet story about an outspoken girl and a less outspoken man who find love in each other when before they hadn't found it in anyone but family. ( )
  mariahsidhe | May 12, 2016 |
Gareth St. Clair has a father who hates him and who is determined to ruin the St Clair family fortunes. Gareth's sole heirloom is an old diary, which may or may not contain the secrets of his past... and the key to his future. The problem is—it's written in Italian, of which Gareth speaks not a word.

All of the ton agreed: there's no one quite like Hyacinth Bridgerton. She's fiendishly smart, devilishly outspoken and —according to Gareth— probably best in small doses. But there's something about her —something charming and vexing— that grabs him and won't quite let go. And Hyacinth — or so she claims— speaks Italian... ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
eh, another Quinn novel i had to just put into the fantasy realm in order to enjoy it. they were breaking all sorts of society rules and i found it hard to believe Gareth would have allowed it or Hyacinth would have gotten away with it. relally love lady Danbury! ( )
  kdf_333 | Jan 17, 2016 |

Julia Quinnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Prebble, SimonReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Petra LingsminatTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rengal, Arnaud duTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Czech Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
For Steve Axelrod, for a hundred different reasons. (But especially the caviar!)
And also for Paul, even though he seems to think I'm the sort of person who likes to share caviar.
There were four principles governing Gareth St. Clair's relationship with his father that he relied upon to maintain his good humor and general sanity.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006053124X, Mass Market Paperback)

Meet Our Hero . . .
Gareth St. Clair is in a bind. His father, who detests him, is determined to beggar the St. Clair estates and ruin his inheritance. Gareth's sole bequest is an old family diary, which may or may not contain the secrets of his past . . . and the key to his future. The problem is—it's written in Italian, of which Gareth speaks not a word.

Meet Our Heroine . . .
All the ton agreed: there was no one quite like Hyacinth Bridgerton. She's fiendishly smart, devilishly outspoken, and according to Gareth, probably best in small doses. But there's something about her—something charming and vexing—that grabs him and won't quite let go . . .

Meet Poor Mr. Mozart . . .
Or don't. But rest assured, he's spinning in his grave when Gareth and Hyacinth cross paths at the annual—and annually discordant—Smythe-Smith musicale. To Hyacinth, Gareth's every word seems a dare, and she offers to translate his diary, even though her Italian is slightly less than perfect. But as they delve into the mysterious text, they discover that the answers they seek lie not in the diary, but in each other . . . and that there is nothing as simple—or as complicated—as a single, perfect kiss.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:21 -0400)

Gareth St. Clair has never liked his father and he is surprised when the old man calls him home. There, Gareth learns that he has inherited an old family journa, written by an Italian, from his older brother. Enter the gorgeous, and contentious, Hyacinth Bridgerton, who willingly offers to translate the book. Together Gareth and Hyacinth attempt to discover the secrets hiding within the text, their adventures taking them into many forbidden areas. And then they share a fateful kiss--one that begins an unexpected and heated courtship.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,440,432 books! | Top bar: Always visible