Les frs Karamazov by Fedor Mikhailovitch…

Les frs Karamazov (original 1880; edition 1986)

by Fedor Mikhailovitch Dostoevski

22,25024897 (4.38)4 / 965
Member:ucbfrench
Title:Les frs Karamazov
Authors:Fedor Mikhailovitch Dostoevski
Info:[Paris] : Gallimard, 1986.

The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky (1880)

The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoevsky (PrincessPaulina, melies)
    PrincessPaulina: "The Idiot" is overlooked compared to Dostoevsky's other work, but in my opinion it's the most engaging. Deals with upper crust society in pre-revolutionary Russia
    The Master of Petersburg by J. M. Coetzee (xtien)
    xtien: Brilliand novel by Coetzee about a fictional Dostoevsky
    Thus Spoke Zarathustra by Friedrich Nietzsche (igor.chubin)
Romans (21)

English (222)  Italian (6)  Dutch (4)  French (4)  Spanish (3)  German (3)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  Hebrew (1)  Portuguese (1)  Russian (1)  All languages (247)
This is an amazing, transcending book. Although I preferred the first third of it to the last, I completely recognize the scope and intensity of the prose. The characters are vivid and vital. I was very pleased reading it. ( )
  DanielSTJ | May 5, 2019 |
It took me a year or so to finish this- but I'm so glad I did. Though I took a long time to understand and warm up to the characters, they are brilliantly vivid and alive. All through the book I tried to place myself among the Karamazov brothers but found a piece of each in me. Ivan the intellectual, Alyosha the monk, and Mitya the hedonist; the brothers are magnificently crafted archetypes. The book made me think a lot and I believe I'll be pondering over it for a long time after. ( )
  jakebornheimer | Mar 27, 2019 |
Though originally intimidated, I found this to be very readable and looked forward to my daily time with it. I was challenged to read this by my daughter, who is in college, and developed a reading plan that allowed me to complete it in 2 weeks - 375,000 words according to Siri!

The story, about three very different brothers plus an illegitimate one, who have to share a father that is barely tolerable as a human being, moves along at a rapid pace over the period of a few months.

Philosophical discussions between the brothers are fascinating and enlightening. This is the meat of the book and worth returning to and to discuss with others.

Overall, I loved the book, though it was disturbing to know what the future of Russia looked like - the worst fears of the author times 1000!

The resolution is acceptable, but it is obvious this story is not done - though Dostoyevsky didn't live to continue it.

This Heritage edition is absolutely stunning. The Fritz Eichenberg illustrations perfectly illuminate the story and I appreciated them as a reward as I came across each one reading through this very long book. My Highest Recommendation! ( )
  BionicJim | Mar 1, 2019 |
What a book. A more coherent review coming. But what a book. I'm so glad I read it!!! ( )
  tntbeckyford | Feb 16, 2019 |
Really long. Wordy at times. Characters are overstated. A good book is one that causes contemplation of life, God and tribulations. This book does that galore. No wonder it is a true classic. ( )
  DonaldPowell | Feb 5, 2019 |

Dostoevsky, Fyodorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Anhava, MarttiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bazzarelli, EridanoForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Brockway, HarryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Davidson, FrederickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Eichenberg, FritzIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Eng, Jan van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fondse, MarkoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sales, JoanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Volokhonsky, LarissaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yarmolinsky, AvrahmIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Verily, verily, I say unto, you, except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringth forth much fruit.
— John 12:24
Tillägnas Anna Grigorjevna Dostojevskaja
Dedicated to

Anna Grigorievna Dostoevsky
Alexey Fyodorovich Karamazov was the third son of Fyodor Pavlovich Karamazov, a landowner well known in our district in his own day, and still remembered among us owing to his tragic and obscure death, which happened just thirteen years ago, and of which I shall speak in its proper place. (Garnett, 1912)
Aleksei Fyodorovich Karamazov was the third son of Fyodor Pavlovich Karamazov, a landowner of our district, extremely well known in his time (and to this day still remembered in these parts) on account of his violent and mysterious death exactly thirteen years ago, the circumstances of which I shall relate in due course. (Avsey 1994)
Alexey Fyodorovitch Karamazov was the third son of Fyodor Pavlovitch Karamazov, a landowner well known in our district in his own day, and still remembered among us owing to his gloomy and tragic death, which happened thirteen years ago, and which I shall describe in its proper place. (Garnett, Great Books, 1952)
Alexei Fyodorovich Karamazov was the third son of a landowner from our district, Fyodor Pavlovich Karamazov, well known in his own day (and still remembered among us) because of his dark and tragic death, which happened exactly thirteen years ago and which I shall speak of in its proper place. (Pevear/Volokhonsky, 1990)
Very well then - tell me the truth, squash me like a cockroach.
(McDuff,1993)
In schools children are a tribe without mercy.
(McDuff, 1993)
I have, as it were, torn my soul in half before you, and you have taken advantage of it and are rummaging with your fingers in both halves along the torn place...O God!
(McDuff, 1993)
I'm a Karamazov - when I fall into the abyss, I go straight into it, head down and heels up . . .
Individual volumes should not be combined with the complete set/work or different volumes of the same set/work.

Tre fratelli con caratteri molto diversi: uno orgoglioso e sensuale, uno razionale fino all'eccesso e uno sinceramente religioso; un figlio illegittimo malato ed emarginato ed un padre avaro e crudele, odiato e disprezzato da tutti.
(piopas)
Sad Russian people
griping about God and stuff.
Wish Dad was still here.
(LeBoeuf)

The award-winning translation of Dostoevsky's last and greatest novel.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:31 -0400)

The violent lives of three sons are exposed when their father is murdered and each one attempts to come to terms with his guilt.

Legacy Library: Fyodor Dostoevsky

Fyodor Dostoevsky has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Fyodor Dostoevsky's legacy profile.

See Fyodor Dostoevsky's author page.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,565,904 books! | Top bar: Always visible