Through a Glass, Darkly by Donna Leon

Through a Glass, Darkly (2006)

by Donna Leon

Series: Commissario Brunetti (15)

English (15)  German (3)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  Finnish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (25)
During an off-the-books investigation concerning some violent threats made by a prominent Venetian glassmaker, Giovanni De Cal, Commissario Guido Brunetti finds himself immersed in the fascinating world of glass blowing furnaces and enviromental issues. De Cal's son-in-law, who De Cal is sure only married his daughter for De Cal's money, is an engineer who spends his off-work hours protesting businesses that pollute Venice's canal system. A night watchman who works for De Cal is sure that toxic chemicals from the furnace caused his infant daughter to be born with numerous medical issues. When the same night watchman is found dead in De Cal's factory in front of a blazing furnace Brunetti is sure that the man has been murdered. The investigation now becomes official and involves De Cal as well as a rival glassmaker, Fasano, the leader of the glassmaker's union and a man slated to become a prominent politician. Who would have killed the well-liked young night watchman?

This is my first book by Leon and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Apparently Guido Brunetti is the focus of her novels and I may have lost some of the impact since this is not the first of Brunetti's books. I was unfamiliar with the relationships of some of the characters but most of them were sorted out after awhile. The story was fairly slow moving as the murder didn't take place until halfway through but I really enjoyed the glassmaking information and the setting of Venice was very nice. I will definitely read more from this author.
  Ellen_R | Jan 15, 2016 |
Commissario Brunetti continues to evolve as a crusader investigating where crimes may occurring before an official crime is reported.

This time on the island of Murano at the glass factories, has there been polluting gone unreported which may have caused a chi8ld to be born with severe defects? When the father who has been making such claims is found dead near one of the glass furnaces, Brunetti sets out to undercover the truth. ( )
  cyderry | Sep 11, 2013 |
Commissario Guido Brunetti investigates pollution from one of the glass factories near Venice. As usual corruption is rife and the book could be depressing, but the author's and her protagonist's love for Venice, food and family offer some measure of cheer. ( )
  auntieknickers | Apr 3, 2013 |
Although the 15th book in the series featuring Commissario Guido Brunetti fighting crime in the Italian city of Venice it is the first one I’ve read. It is chock full of intricate details about life in modern Venice. There are scenes which portray the uniquely Venetian transport chaos of travelling by canal, others which discuss the loss of historic local industries and passages in which Brunetti internally debates how formally to address the people he meets which if not distinctively Italian is at least a particularly European problem. And unlike most other dedicated fictional police officers Brunetti always finds time to eat fabulous meals which is also evocative of Italy (and the reason I don’t recommend you read it when hungry: sheer torture).

Brunetti is the only police officer to be a fully developed character in the book. There’s a superior officer who Brunetti treats as stupid but there’s no real evidence of that stupidity in this book (I assume it’s apparent in one or more of the earlier outings). A couple of Brunetti’s colleagues appear as minor characters but their characters are not particularly well developed. However, as Brunetti doesn’t work the long, hard hours of many of his fictional cohorts he’s got more time to devote to a family so his wife and children are fairly solid characters in the book and his wife in particular is a person I quickly got the feeling I’d like to meet.

As a mystery I have to say this lacks something. There’s a single event that takes place about half way through the book and it’s not until the very last few pages that we find out whether or not it was even a crime. There is a vaguely interesting back story about environmental concerns resulting from Venice’s glass making industry but it’s not really enough to keep a die-hard mystery buff’s eyes glued open. The inclusion of a long passage in which Brunetti and his wife analyse Dante’s Infernoand the way it may, or may not, provide a clue to the case is an example of the largely unrelated content that fills up some of the book.

If you're looking for a fast-paced, page turner this probably isn't for you but if you like thoughtful stories where things other than crime are also important then I’d give it a go. And if you’ve ever been to Venice, or ever wanted to go, then I’d highly recommend you lose yourself in the book for a while: you won’t regret it.
  bsquaredinoz | Mar 31, 2013 |
This is the 15th book in the Commissario Brunetti series, which, aside from the fact that I started with the first book in the series, I've been reading completely out of sequence. In this story, a woman who is the daughter of a glass factory owner on the island of Murano approaches Brunetti because she fears that her father, who detests her husband and has often been heard to remark that he'd like to see his son-in-law dead, might take matters into his own hands and actually kill him. But when a night watchman is killed in that same factory, it becomes apparent that the crime may have been committed because of the man's frequent harangues against the dangers of working in proximity with toxic substances. I enjoyed the descriptions of how glass objects are created in this one and I've been enjoying this series so far. I find it entertaining and quite good on the whole, but can't say it knocks my socks off either. ( )
  Smiler69 | Feb 6, 2011 |

Scholten, TheoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Seibicke, Christa E.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Skarbińska-Zielin… AlicjaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Da qual tremore insolito
Sento assalir gli spiriti!
Dond'escono quei vortici
Do foco pien d'orror?

What strange fear
Assails my spirits!
Where do they come from,
those horrible whirlwinds of flame?
--Don Giovanni Mozart
For Cecilia Bartoli
Brunetti stood at his window and flirted with the springtime.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0143038060, Mass Market Paperback)

The latest case in Donna Leon’s bestselling Brunetti mystery series—“one of the most exquisite and subtle detective series ever” (The Washington Post)

The Philadelphia Inquirer called Leon’s incomparable creation Commissario Guido Brunetti “the most humane sleuth since Georges Simenon’s Inspector Maigret.” It’s no wonder then that Leon’s legion of fans continues to grow with each new book that’s published. In Through a Glass, Darkly, Brunetti investigates the murder of a night watchman, whose body is found in front of a blazing furnace at Giovanni De Cal’s glass factory along with an annotated copy of Dante’s Inferno. Did the cantankerous De Cal kill him? Will Brunetti make the connection between the work of literature and the murderer in time?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:15 -0400)

After coming to the aid of Vianello's old friend, Ribetti, arrested during an environmental protest, Commissario Brunetti becomes concerned about Ribetti's father-in-law, Giovanni De Cal, a nasty factory owner heard making threats against his son-in-law.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,178,514 books! | Top bar: Always visible