Cold Comfort Farm: Penguin Classics by…

Cold Comfort Farm: Penguin Classics (original 1932; edition 2006)

by Stella Gibbons (Author), Lynne Truss (Introduction)

Series: Cold Comfort Farm (2)

5,1982011,565 (4)583
Flora has been expensively educated to do everything but earn her own living. When she is orphaned at 20, she decides her only option is to go and live with her relatives, the Starkadders, at Cold Comfort Farm. What relatives though. Flora feels it incumbent upon her to bring order into the chaos.
Member:bobf32
Title:Cold Comfort Farm: Penguin Classics
Authors:Stella Gibbons (Author)
Other authors:Lynne Truss (Introduction)
Info:Penguin (2006), 256 pages

Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons (1932)

Emma by Jane Austen (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Flora is very clearly modeled on Emma.
    Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Another brilliant parody.
    The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer (Bjace)
    Bjace: While it's not in the same genre, the books are similiar. Both Sophy and Flora Post are Miss Fix-its, whose practical, problem-solving approach to life is a contrast to the silliness of their relatives. Also, both are delightful reads in different ways.
    Mapp and Lucia by E. F. Benson (Michael.Rimmer)
    Big Fish: A Novel of Mythic Proportions by Daniel Wallace (msouliere)
    Who was Changed and Who was Dead by Barbara Comyns (laytonwoman3rd)
    The Straight and Narrow Path by Honor Tracy (rebeccanyc)
    rebeccanyc: Another satire, this time of the Irish countryside, the English in Ireland, and the Catholic church.
    A Room with a View by E. M. Forster (upster)
    upster: It's refreshing and fun
    Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day by Winifred Watson (amanda4242)
    amanda4242: Both books are sure to cheer up anyone having a miserable day.
    Precious Bane by Mary Webb (KayCliff)
    KayCliff: The one is a parody of the other.
    My Family and Other Animals by Gerald Durrell (MyriadBooks)
    The Rainbow by D. H. Lawrence (thorold)
    thorold: The Rainbow is a great novel that's well worth reading for its own sake, but it's also the supreme example of the over-portentous way of writing about the countryside that makes the parody in Cold Comfort Farm so hilarious.
My TBR (47)
1930s (14)

English (193)  Spanish (5)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  All languages (201)
These are not words I say often, but . . . I like the movie better.

Not to say the book is bad. It isn't. It's lovely and amusing, and it's an excellent satire of the fashionable rural novels and general culture of the 20s. However, the trouble with being an excellent satire of something so very specific is that the humor doesn't age well.

Which is not to say that the book isn't well written or funny. It is both of these things, and some of the humor in it is humor to last the ages. What makes the film superior is that it keeps all the "eternally" funny bits while omitting those things referential to a nearly 100-year-old fad. ( )
  Zoes_Human | Aug 9, 2021 |
An amusing, tongue in cheek story that has a lot to say. ( )
  charlie68 | Jul 8, 2021 |
Probably would have been lower rated if I read a lot of this type of book, but as an older and somewhat strange one off, I really enjoyed it. ( )
  jercox | Jun 2, 2021 |
Interesting book written in 1932, apparently a parody of English "pastoral fiction". Writing seems surprisingly modern. If I hadn't read the intro I might mistake genre for something more along the lines of humorous chick-lit. ( )
  curious_squid | Apr 5, 2021 |
Excellent. I absolutely loved this book even though I've never really read any of the "rural novel" genre it's parodying (with the exception of Wuthering Heights, if that counts-- I think it's a bit early, though). And speaking of literary traditions, I found a lot of Pratchett in the tone here. Does anyone know if she was an influence on his writing? Oh! And speaking of genre fiction (I'm on a roll here with the segues, guys) why did no one tell me that technically this is a sci-fi book?? It's set "in the near future" and features what seems to be Stella Gibbons inventing the concept of a video call? Absolutely wild. Pretty much a one-off, though, so very easy to miss. Finally, Gibbons' practice of marking out her own best passages with stars, so as to help readers and reviewers notice the best bits, is fantastic, and we should all aspire to that level of self-assuredness. ( )
  scoutmaria | Apr 5, 2021 |

Simmonds, PosyIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spencer, StanleyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Truss, LynneIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vales, José C.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Let other pens dwell on guilt and misery -- Mansfield Park.
NOTE The action of the story takes place in the near future.
To Allan and Ina
The education bestowed upon Flora Poste by her parents had been expensive, athletic and prolonged; and when they died within a few weeks of one another during the annual epidemic of influenza or Spanish Plague which occured in her twentieth year, she was discovered to possess every art and grace save that of earning her own living.
To Anthony Pookworthy, Esq., A.B.S., L.L.R. My dear Tony, It is with something more than the natural deference of a tyro at the loveliest, most arduous and perverse of the arts in the presence of a master-craftsman that I lay this book before you. (From the Foreword)
"I saw something nasty in the woodshed!"
She loved them all dearly, but this evening she just did not want to see them any more.
There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort.
"Straw or chaff, leaf or fruit, we mun all come to 't."
"Curses, like rookses, comes home to rest in bosomes and barnses."

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0143039598, 0141441593, 0141045485, 0241951518

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,262,499 books! | Top bar: Always visible