dismiss

The ELEGANT UNIVERSE S.S. by B GREENE

The ELEGANT UNIVERSE S.S. (original 1999; edition 2000)

by B GREENE

7,76072774 (3.98)1 / 148
Relates the scientific story and the human struggle behind the search for the string theory--the ultimate theory which scientists believe is capable of describing all physical phenomena, large and small; and discusses how the theory is impacting human understanding of space and time.
Member:j_aroche
Title:The ELEGANT UNIVERSE S.S.
Authors:B GREENE
Info:Vintage/Ebury (A Division of Random House Group) (2000), Paperback
Rating:*****
Tags:science, physics, string theory, black holes, astrophysics, astronomy, non-fiction

The Elegant Universe: Superstrings, Hidden Dimensions, and the Quest for the Ultimate Theory by Brian Greene (1999)

English (67)  French (2)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (71)
I heard this dude today on NPR. I'm interested in post-modern science, and its applications to post-modern politics. Can we be superstrings that make our own universes? I don't know enough to even make that metaphor. Maybe after I read this...
  magonistarevolt | May 10, 2020 |
De vez en cuando surge un maestro de la divulgación científica. Brian Greene saltó a la fama de la divulgación científica con este libro. Se trata de una introducción a la teoría de cuerdas, una de las estructuras intelectuales más complejas paridas por la mente humana. El estilo es muy claro y ameno -se ve que el autor se divierte escribiendo- y resulta una lectura apasionante y muy enriquecedora incluso para lectores con formación física, pues las ideas de las que habla no están en la carrera. El libro tuvo tanto éxito que hasta hicieron un documental, con el propio Greene como presentador. Y es un documental muy bueno. Los lectores pueden descargárselo gratuitamente (en inglés) de aquí. Ahora Greene ha sacado un nuevo libro, The fabric of Cosmos, que he empezado a leer. En él se habla de la estructura del espaciotiempo, nada menos, pero el estilo sigue siendo ameno. Y el libro es muy interesante, desde luego. Mi nota para éste es Muy, muy bueno. ( )
  Remocpi | Apr 22, 2020 |
Greene is an interesting physicist. I'm not sure many more "traditional" physicists would always agree with his ideas, but they make for interesting reading and thinking. This is a typical example and thus recommended. ( )
  scottcholstad | Jan 15, 2020 |
Whenever I try to read popular science books like this it feels like every sentence is an important idea, and when one enters my brain, two others get ejected and I end up dumber than when I started. Maybe there's a law of physics that will explain that. Too bad I won't remember it!

Finally finished! A great book for the non-science-y who want some understanding of string theory without the math. It was slow reading and I had to take notes to remember things, but still enjoyable reading. Greene explains everything so clearly, uses great analogies, and has a wonderful way with words to boot. ( )
  badube | Mar 6, 2019 |
The Elegant Universe is a popular explanation of string theory. Yet, it is so much more than that. It is an illumination of the fascinating journey that physics has taken since Isaac Newton.

Starting with a brief overview of Newton's mechanics, dr. Greene then delves into fairly detailed non-mathematical descriptions of both Einstein's special and general relativity. Quantum mechanics is then briefly examined, especially the quantum weirdness phenomena and the uncertainty principle.

Then it's on about the super-symmetrical string theory, the physics' latest attempt to merge the generally hostile general relativity and quantum theories into a single theory describing all of nature's forces, including gravity.

Learn how this theory builds on the premise that the universe is built from tiny strings whose vibrations produce elementary particles such as photons, how there are likely more than three spatial dimensions, how transformations of these tiny dimensions create self-repairing rips in the fabric of space and how it all affects the cosmos around us.

Lucidly written in a clear, non-technical style, it is a pleasure to read as the author steers clear of both too convoluted popular culture references (like Cartman rolling down the hill in Hidden Universes) and from too inside-baseball like descriptions of the science and mathematics behind it.

One of the best popular science books that I've read. It is bound to blow your mind and bring you up to date on the state of modern physics, even though it's not of the newest date. Hopefully in the future dr. Greene will take the time to write a follow-up to bring us up to speed on the newest developments in string/M-theory. ( )
  matija2019 | Jan 8, 2019 |
In the great tradition of physicists writing for the masses, ''The Elegant Universe'' sets a standard that will be hard to beat.

To my mother and the memory of my father, with love and gratitude
Preface
During the last thirty years of his life, Albert Einstein sought relentlessly for a so-called unified field theory—a theory capable of describing nature's forces within a single, all-encompassing, coherent framework.
Calling it a cover-up would be far too dramatic.

Physicists and mathematicians all over the world are feverishly working in these years on one of the most ambitious theories that have ever been conceived: the theory of superstrings, or strings, as it is often called. Einstein searched for more than thirty years without ever achieving a unified theory, which reconciled general relativity and quantum mechanics, the two cornerstones of twentieth-century physics. String theory provides perhaps the solution to this profound and fascinating problem, describing all the forces of nature in a single conceptual framework of supreme elegance.
Everything that is wonderful in the universe is the result of the vibrations of individual units, ultramicroscopic strings hidden in the depth of matter. The 'modes of vibration', the 'notes' intoned by these strings, determine the intimate constitution of matter, such as violin strings that perform an ordered and harmonious cosmic symphony.
In this book, Brian Greene tells the story of an extraordinary adventure, talking about it as a protagonist and transmitting all the enthusiasm of scientific discovery. The revolutionary vision of the universe that emerges from his story involves hidden and rolled up dimensions in the folds of space, black holes that are transformed into elementary particles, discontinuity in the weaving of spacetime and universes that generate other universes.
"The elegant universe" describes with intelligence and vivacity the exhilarating discoveries and the still unsolved mysteries of the universe. Through the wise use of analogies and fascinating metaphors, Greene manages to make immediately accessible some of the most complex and sophisticated concepts of contemporary physics.
(Piopas)

W.W. Norton

2 editions of this book were published by W.W. Norton.

Editions: 0393058581, 039333810X

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,601,363 books! | Top bar: Always visible