By the Sword (Valdemar) by Mercedes Lackey

By the Sword (Valdemar) (original 1991; edition 1991)

by Mercedes Lackey (Author)

Granddaughter of a sorceress and daughter of a noble house, Kerowyn had been forced to run the family keep since her mother's untimely death. Now all of her hopes and plans to return to training horses and hunting have been shattered by an attack on her ancestral home, the death of her father, the wounding of her brother and the kidnapping of his fiance.… (more)
Member:JGKingsley
Title:By the Sword (Valdemar)
Authors:Mercedes Lackey (Author)
Info:DAW (1991), Edition: Book Club, 496 pages

Work Information

By the Sword by Mercedes Lackey (1991)

I like the books Mercedes Lackey writes, she is good at creating a believable world and people to populate it. While her writing is not the strongest I do find it engaging ang and enjoyable. I like a series I can live inside of and her books are ones that have characters I feel invested in and a world I believe could exist.
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
Kept surprising me. Good at what it does. Sword and steed adventure with plenty of feminist self development and the ethics of high end mercenary fighters. Romance with no initial slow burn - but just wait! Definitely sticks the landing. ( )
  Je9 | Aug 10, 2021 |
This book starts before Talia's and ends after. Kero is intelligent, capable, and free; she lives by her own standards and does her best to keep her morals straight as a sword for hire.

While I found the romance somewhat off-putting in the sense that it seemed all together too sudden, the dynamics Kero has with all the other characters is pretty nice. And I did think the ending was a bit too fairy tail-esque. ( )
  sraazad | Jul 1, 2021 |
I have owned this book since the early 90s, and have read it at least 15 times. There's no evaluating a book that's an indelible part of my adolescence. ( )
  elenaj | Jul 31, 2020 |
A great read by one of my favorite authors. ( )
  Linyarai | Feb 16, 2020 |

Lackey, Mercedesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lackey, MercedesLyricsmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Lee, Jody A.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to the memory of /
Stan Rogers /
Singer, Songwriter, Inspiration /
Whose words and music /
gave me heart and courage /
when I needed them most.
"Blessed -- look /out!/"

Granddaughter of the sorceress Kethry, daughter of a noble house, Kerowyn had been forced to run the family keep since her mother’s untimely death. Yet now at last her brother was preparing to wed, and when his bride became the lady of the keep, Kerowyn could return to her true enjoyments—training horses and hunting.

But all Kerowyn’s hopes and plans were shattered when her ancestral home was attacked, her father slain, her brother wounded, and his fiancée kidnapped. Drive by desperation and the knowledge that a sorcerer had led the attack, Kerowyn sought her grandmother Kethry’s aid, a journey which would prove but the first step on the road to the fulfillment of her destiny. For facing her family’s foes would transform Kerowyn into an outsider in her own land, a warrior bound to the spell blade Need, and a mercenary forced to choose between loyalty to her comrades in arms and the Herald of Valdemar, whom she had rescued and who in his turn had helped to awaken her to the true meaning of love and to her own unique powers of magic.
Kero: merc and more / Sword of Need, fateful night ride / Captain and Herald.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,317,134 books! | Top bar: Always visible