The Thing Around Your Neck (2009)

by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

From Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, the Orange Prize-winning author of Half of a Yellow Sun, come twelve dazzling stories in which she turns her penetrating eye on the ties that bind men and women, parents and children, Nigeria and the West. In 'A Private Experience,' a medical student hides from a violent riot with a poor Muslim woman whose dignity and faith force her to confront the realities and fears she's been pushing away. In 'Tomorrow Is Too Far,' a woman unlocks the devastating secret that surrounds her brother's death. The young mother at the center of 'Imitation' finds her comfortable life threatened when she learns that her husband back in Lagos has moved his mistress into their home. And the title story depicts the choking loneliness of a Nigerian girl who moves to an America that turns out to be nothing like the country she expected; though falling in love brings her desires nearly within reach, a death in her homeland forces her to re-examine them. Searing and profound, suffused with beauty, sorrow and longing, this collection is a resounding confirmation of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's prodigious storytelling powers.… (more)
    Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (2810michael)
    2810michael: På dansk: En halv gul sol
    Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (2810michael)
    2810michael: På dansk: Lilla hibiscus
    An Elegy for Easterly by Petina Gappah (sanddancer)
    The Other Hand by Chris Cleave (2810michael)
    2810michael: På dansk: Den anden hånd
    Your Madness Not Mine: Stories of Cameroon (Ohio RIS Africa Series) by Makuchi (charl08)
    charl08: Both books are short story collections that include links between the west and West Africa, with strong characterisation and a sense of humour.
    Revolution by Jakob Ejersbo (2810michael)
    Liberty by Jakob Ejersbo (2810michael)

English (64)  Norwegian (1)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (70)
God, I love this woman. ( )
  doryfish | Aug 20, 2021 |
Fresh and revealing voice, I learn so much from every story. ( )
  flydodofly | Jul 2, 2021 |
Beautiful, beautiful stories. ( )
  LibroLindsay | Jun 18, 2021 |
Very well written, deep and textured.
effortlessly contrasts vast cultural differences with the universality of human nature. ( )
  mjhunt | Jan 22, 2021 |
I know everyone loves this book and all the stories; I had a range of reactions, some I enjoyed, some I found too much for me. ( )
  steveportigal | Dec 31, 2020 |
In a few stories in this collection Ms. Adichie resorts to easy stereotypes of Westerners . . . For the most part, however, she avoids such easy formulations. In fact the most powerful stories in this volume depict immensely complicated, conflicted characters.

For Ivara
The first time our house was robbed, it was our neighbor Osita who climbed in through the dining room window and stole our TV, our VCR, and the "Purple Rain" and "Thriller" videotapes my father had brought back from America.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,147,141 books! | Top bar: Always visible