Dead Dancing Women (An Emily Kincaid…

Dead Dancing Women (An Emily Kincaid Mystery) (edition 2008)

by Elizabeth Kane Buzzelli (Author)

Member:MarthaHuntley
Title:Dead Dancing Women (An Emily Kincaid Mystery)
Authors:Elizabeth Kane Buzzelli (Author)
Info:Midnight Ink (2008), Edition: 1, 370 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Mystery, Kindle

Dead Dancing Women by Elizabeth Kane Buzzelli

Title of Book: Dead Dogs and Englishmen
Author: Elizabeth Kan Buzzelli is a creative writing instructor at Northwestern Michigan College. She is the author of Dead Dancing Women, Dead Floating Lovers, and Dead Sleeping Shaman.
ISBN Number: 978-0-7387-1878-1
Price: $14.95
Paperback
5 Out of 5 points
Headline for Book Review: Murder Mystery and A Dinner Party
Main Characters: Emily Kincaid a mid 30's journalist whom left Ann Arbor Michigan newspaper to write her novel in a quiet country area.
Jackson Rinaldi: Emily's ex husband a 41 year old English Professor at the University of Michigan.
Sorrow: Emily's dog
Dolly Wakowski: The town Deputy
Cecil Hawke: A writer.
Madeleine Clark: Wants to publish Emily's new novel.
EATS: Eats is the town restaurant in Leestsville with owner Eugenia Fuller and Gloria the waitress and where all gossip is the center of attention.
Emily and Dolly build a friendship because Dolly wants Emily to publish Dotty's Police stories in the local paper.
The story starts out with Dolly going to Emily's house to talk to her about a dead woman that has been found along with a dead dog behind an abandoned Old Farm house. Emily has a keen sense of what animals do. They first find a dead woman in the old abandoned farm house tied at her angles and hands. She wore a cross and appeared to be a "Mexican" colored skin type. When they arrive there are circling buzzards and that is when the pit bull is found shot in the back of the head behind the farm house. They then proceed to talk to all of the town's people to try to find out who the ID of the women could be.
On page 83, "what it sounded like to me was a dispute between workers coming in from Mexico, maybe some kind of turf war."
In the midst of this ongoing investigation Jackson, Emily's ex asks her to edit a manuscript by Cecil Hawke. Emily needs the money and Jackson sets up an interview and Emily takes on this job. Before they leave the meeting, sign a contract and take a 1,500 deposit, Emily and Jack are invited to a costume party at Cecil's house the next weekend. They both agree to go and dress in costumes. When the date arrives they attend and find out there is a Séance for all of the guests to participate in. As they all hold hands and ask the "spirit guides" questions, a sudden gunshot is heard and Dolly is there to investigate. The wife of Cecil (Lila) is found dead. Another investigation is being performed.
In the end you will be surprised who the real killer its!
Jackie Paulson © 2011 All Rights Reserved ( )
  jackie1966 | Dec 18, 2011 |
A mystery about a mystery writer trying to write a mystery. Excellent!

Emily has moved to a small town to try and write a mystery, one that will actually be published this time.

Only she finds herself in the middle of one. Women are being killed and the only thing connecting them is that they belong to a group who respect and worship, in their own way, the Earth.

I loved the characters in the book. Emily can make friends with the oddest of characters. There's the reclusive ornery neighbor, Harry, who helps Emily around her place and brings her the occasional possum stew. Harry is my favorite I think.

I know the next books will be just as excellent. I need to see how Emily gets on with her ex-husband who has decided that her little slice of heaven could be just what he needs to work on his book about Chaucer...and moves close by.

The mystery is well done, the characters are fully fleshed out and I want to move to this area of Michigan. All my criteria met.

Five all my criteria met beans.... ( )
  Squeex | May 24, 2011 |
She's a friend, but this is way too cutesy for me. ( )
  picardyrose | Aug 16, 2009 |
After living alone in northern Michigan for three years, Emily Kincaid is still an outsider. An unpublished mystery author and free-lance journalist, Emily finds herself in the center of a murder investigation when she discovers a human head in her garbage can. Emily is also playing hostess to her ex-husband Jackson and his young “assistant” Jennifer. Jackson is in the area from Ann Arbor looking for his own writer’s retreat, where he can work on his book about Chaucer.

Soon, it’s apparent to local police that someone is targeting “Women of the Moon,” older ladies known to dance and sing in the woods at night – and who have been chastised from the pulpit of Reverend Runcival at the Church of the Contented Flock. Emily, our first person narrator, teams up with Deputy Dolly Wakowski to find out just who is killing the women.

Leetsville is a real Michigan town that apparently has more than its share of oddballs and misfits – all sympathetically portrayed by the author. I particularly like Eugenia Fuller, a local restaurant owner who displays her family three and keeps a proud running tally of her criminal descendents – many of whom were hanged for their crimes.

Dead Dancing Women features good writing that is occasionally brilliant, with some stunning similes that stopped me in my tracks. Emily and Dolly are well developed and it is very refreshing to have an amateur sleuth who is NOT dating a cop. The Emily-Dolly partnership, however, did seem more than a tad improbable, even in a strange place like Leetsville. I was also distracted by a few technical issues – punctuation, capitalization – that cropped up regularly in the uncorrected proof I read; I’m hoping those will be fixed in the final version. On balance, Dead Dancing Women is above average and Elizabeth Kane Buzzelli definitely an author worth watching.

By Diana. First published in Mystery News, Dec ’08-Jan ’09 issue ( )
  NewsieQ | Mar 27, 2009 |
For the International Women's Writing Guild,
especially Hannelore Hahn,
mother and patient protector of all women writers.
And for Rainelle Burton, one of the finest
writers at work today, and a wonderful friend.
As is Annick Hivert Carthew.

For the Mule Team: Linda Savard and Dr. Ruth Lerman.

For the Detroit Women Writers,
especially my good friend, artist, writer Carolyn Hall
who, beyond all common sense, continues to encourage me.

And for my friends and students:
Anne Noble, Lisa Walmsley, and Cindy Kochis,
who not only have learned from me but have now surpassed me.

And, as always, for Tony.
This Monday was like all Mondays up in northern Michigan.

Escaping the city, and her coed-chasing ex-husband, part-time journalist and full-time failed mystery writer Emily Kincaid has moved into a cozy cabin nestled in the woods of northern Michigan. Emily spends her days writing for the local newspaper and crafting her latest forgettable novel. Then one morning her quiet life turns grisly when a severed head tumbles out of her garbage can.

Between hosting her ex and his female "assistant," reluctantly raising a rambunctious new puppy, and forming an uneasy alliance with the fractious Deputy Dolly, can Emily put an end to the killings — and somehow preserve her sanity?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:01 -0400)

Escaping the city, and her coed-chasing ex-husband, part-time journalist and full-time failed mystery writer Emily Kincaid has moved into a cosy cabin nestled in the woods of northern Michigan. Emily spends her days writing for the local newspaper and crafting her latest forgettable novel. Then one morning her quiet life turns grisly when a severed head tumbles out of her garbage can. The victim belonged to the Women of the Moon, a group of old ladies who sing and dance around a bonfire in the woods late at night. The members claim it's just a harmless act in praise of mother earth, but certain townspeople don't see it that way. Now, one by one, the women are turning up dead. Between hosting her ex and his female 'assistant', reluctantly raising a rambunctious new puppy, and forming an uneasy alliance with the fractious Deputy Dolly, can Emily put an end to the killings - and somehow preserve her sanity?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,985,646 books! | Top bar: Always visible