A.D.: New Orleans After the Deluge

by Josh Neufeld

Uses graphic novel format to depict the events of Hurricane Katrina though six true stories of New Orleanians who survived the storm, including Denise, who experienced the chaos of the Superdome, and a doctor whose French Quarter home was unscathed.
    Zeitoun by Dave Eggers (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Neufeld's compelling graphic novel depicts the effects of Hurricane Katrina through the true stories of seven of the city's residents.

English (27)  Dutch (1)  All languages (28)
This one is more difficult to rate; I have a feeling it makes more of an impact on people not as familiar with Katrina and its aftermath. I liked the artwork, but the journalistic style of the story felt a bit cold and distant. The book touches on many aspects of the storm and aftermath but just felt a bit lacking to me. I don't fault Neufeld for writing this book and I think a lot of people will like it and learn from it. Living in Louisiana, I think I may not have been the intended audience. ( )
  JustZelma | Dec 20, 2020 |
A rich, compelling, and devastating set of firsthand narratives from Hurricane Katrina. There is a bit of disconnect between beginning and end but a worthy read overall. ( )
  DrFuriosa | Dec 4, 2020 |
This was ok. Pretty drawings. ( )
  reg_lt | Feb 7, 2020 |
Interesting perspectives from locals in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina. I didn't feel there was as much depth as there could have been (as I have found to be the case with other historical/biographical graphic novels), but I did enjoy it. ( )
  Amellia_Fiske | Jan 24, 2020 |
It was quite eye-opening to learn some of the personal stories that came out of the tragedy of Katrina. All in all very good. ( )
  p_r_a_x_i_s | Jun 11, 2019 |
A.D. avoids politics; its real power is in its images of waterlogged cityscapes and its characters' expressively rendered faces, streaming with sweat and contorted in anguish. In Crumb-like detail, Neufeld convincingly re-creates his protagonists' ordeals—and their halting recovery.
added by Shortride | editMother Jones, Kiera Butler (Sep 1, 2009)

Neufeld's style is in no way haphazard. His drawings are reminiscent less of the superhero than of the Sunday comics page. That doesn't mean they are youthful or naive. With simple lines -- deft and evocative -- Neufeld communicates complex human emotions. Two- and three-color palettes render the passing days with sober integrity.

To Denise, Leo, Michelle, Brobson, Abbas, Darnell, and Kwame -- the beating hearts and souls of "A.D."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,923,888 books! | Top bar: Always visible