The Glass Castle: A Memoir by Jeannette…

The Glass Castle: A Memoir (edition 2006)

by Jeannette Walls (Author)

Jeannette Walls tells the story about her childhood. She talks about living like nomads, moving among Southwest desert towns, camping in the mountains. Retreating to the dismal West Virginia mining town--and the family-- her father, Rex Walls, had done everything he could to escape. He drank. He stole the grocery money and disappeared for days. As the dysfunction of the family escalated, Jeannette and her brother and sisters had to fend for themselves, supporting one another as they weathered their parents' betrayals and, finally, found the resources and will to leave home.… (more)
Member:HeyToki
Title:The Glass Castle: A Memoir
Authors:Jeannette Walls (Author)
Info:Scribner (2006), Edition: Reprint, 288 pages

The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith (JGoto)
    Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt (cataylor)
    Hope's Boy: A Memoir by Andrew Bridge (meggyweg, Sunflower6_Cris)
    Jesus Land: A Memoir by Julia Scheeres (gaialover)
    Breaking Night: A Memoir of Forgiveness, Survival, and My Journey from Homeless to Harvard by Liz Murray (itbgc)
    The Liars' Club by Mary Karr (Cecrow)
    Blackbird: A Childhood Lost and Found by Jennifer Lauck (RoxieF)
    My Abandonment by Peter Rock (SugarCreekRanch)
    Life at the Bottom : The Worldview that Makes the Underclass by Theodore Dalrymple (chndlrs)
    Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs (Monika_L)
    Shattered Silence: The Untold Story of a Serial Killer's Daughter by Melissa G. Moore (dara85)
    Coming Clean: A Memoir by Kimberly Rae Miller (Deesirings)
    Deesirings: Both these memoirs of childhood are about parents with severe limitations, difficulties, mental illnesses, with the authors nonetheless feeling loved by them.
    North of Normal: A Memoir of My Wilderness Childhood, My Unusual Family, and How I Survived Both by Cea Sunrise Person (kristina25)
    Tutto si risveglia con un bacio by Gudrún Eva Mínervudóttir (raudakind)
    raudakind: Both of these books are humorous tales about families splintered by the parents' bohemian lifestyle.
    My Struggle: Book One: A Death in the Family by Karl Ove Knausgård (julienne_preacher)
    Dandelion: Memoir of a Free Spirit by Catherine James (amyreads)
    Educated: A Memoir by Tara Westover (bjappleg8)
    Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man by Fannie Flagg (VictoriaPL)
    All Over but the Shoutin' by Rick Bragg (BookshelfMonstrosity)

English (704)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  French (2)  Piratical (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (713)
Wow what a life! ( )
  cougargirl1967 | Dec 14, 2019 |
The positives first: this book is well written and it flowed nicely.
Negatives: Jeannette Walls should be ashamed for exploiting her family in this manner. She is not the only one who has had a tough childhood. What is to gain by airing her family's dirty laundry for all to see? Oh, wait. I know. Money! Is she wanting sympathy? Not getting it here. Yes, I will admit she had a terrible childhood, as well as her siblings. Her parents were not good parents, but that doesn't give her the right to embarrass them in this manner. My own father had a terrible childhood. I do not know 1/4 of what happened to him, but he had enough honor not to expose what happened in his life.
I will definitely NOT be reading any other books and if this hadn't been a book club book, I would not have finished this one. ( )
  travelgal | Dec 9, 2019 |
An amazing and beautifully written memoir. I feel in love with this family and this story. There are really no words to do this book justice. Just read it! Seriously. Then watch the movie. While you will not even come close to the greatness of the book the movie wasn't half bad. ( )
  chardonnayham | Dec 8, 2019 |
Without sentimentality or self-pity, Walls relates the tale of her own growing up with a mother and father who never did. She tells of humors and horrors in the same matter-of-fact tone, tinged with incredulity and occasionally sarcasm. I love her voice.

Although this was written before Half-Broke Horses, the story of Walls's grandmother and mother, I read it after - which would be in chronological order - and think that was a good order to go in (though it left me even more baffled as to why her mother behaved the way she did as an adult). ( )
  rhowens | Nov 26, 2019 |
The best memoir I’ve read! ( )
  PoolofLife | Nov 16, 2019 |
''The Glass Castle'' falls short of being art, but it's a very good memoir. At one point, describing her early literary tastes, Walls mentions that ''my favorite books all involved people dealing with hardships.'' And she has succeeded in doing what most writers set out to do -- to write the kind of book they themselves most want to read.

Jeannette Wallsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gibson, JuliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dark is a way and light is a place,
Heaven that never was
Nor will be ever is always true
-Dylan Thomas
"Poem on His Birthday"
To John, for convincing me that everyone who is interesting has a past
I was sitting in a taxi, wondering if I had overdressed for the evening, when I looked out the window and saw Mom rooting through a Dumpster.

The child of an alcoholic father and an eccentric artist mother discusses her family's nomadic upbringing, during which she and her siblings fended for themselves while their parents outmaneuvered bill collectors and the authorities.
-Novelist

4 1977
5 2093

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,821,719 books! | Top bar: Always visible