The Strain: Book One of The Strain Trilogy…

The Strain: Book One of The Strain Trilogy (edition 2009)

by Guillermo Del Toro, Chuck Hogan

Series: The Strain (book 1)

Abraham Setrakian, a former professor and survivor of the Holocaust, joins forces with CDC specialist Eph Goodweather to battle a vampiric virus that has infected NewYork in this first installment in a thrilling trilogy about a horrifying battle between man and vampire that threatens all humanity.
Member:littlebookworm
Title:The Strain: Book One of The Strain Trilogy
Authors:Guillermo Del Toro
Other authors:Chuck Hogan
Info:William Morrow (2009), Hardcover, 416 pages
Tags:horror, read 2009, sci-fi

The Strain by Guillermo del Toro (Author)

I Am Legend by Richard Matheson (Joles)
    Joles: The authors treat vampires in a similar light. The Strain could very well be what leads up to Matheson's I Am Legend.
    The Passage by Justin Cronin (smiteme, questionablepotato)
    Patient Zero by Jonathan Maberry (Joles)
    Joles: Undead creatures that reanimate with a nice bit of real-world science thrown in.
    Swan Song by Robert McCammon (Phantasma)
    Phantasma: you could say They Thirst would be a more likely reccomendation for this vampire novel. But I think the post-apocalyptic Swan Song is much more closesly related.
    Draculas by Jack Kilborn (Scottneumann)
    They Thirst by Robert R. McCammon (Scottneumann)
    Children of the Night by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)
    Midnight Mass by F. Paul Wilson (Scottneumann)
    Live Girls by Ray Garton (dante414)
    Uprising by Scott Mariani (mamaove)
    mamaove: Good versues evil theme with vampires
    The Missing by Sarah Langan (ahstrick)
    Necroscope by Brian Lumley (leahsimone)
    Feed by Mira Grant (trav)
    Wizard and Glass by Stephen King (kraaivrouw)
    The Mouse on the Mile by Stephen King (ShelfMonkey)

English (267)  Spanish (5)  Italian (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  Danish (1)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (279)
An interesting take on the vampire mythos and one I look forward to reading more about, if not eagerly. The male characters are varied and interesting but it really underdevelops the femal characters. ( )
  nosborm | Oct 10, 2021 |
Interesting idea but ultimately unsatisfying for me. ( )
  Septima | Aug 21, 2021 |
I think that I am reading a screenplay...or at least a book that was written with the only intention of being a movie.

update - It got better near the end but after the predictable story and the product placements I doubt that I will read the next in the series. ( )
  Drunken-Otter | Aug 20, 2021 |
I really enjoyed the beginning. It was a different take on an old story. But about the middle of the book, I completely knew what was going to happen. Not necessarily a bad thing, but there was a lot of foreshadowing. And I liked the main character at the beginning of the book, but the end, not so much. I was more interested in the other characters by then, so I'm going to continue the series. ( )
  nmorandi | Jul 16, 2021 |
I'm a big fan of Guillermo del Toro's films, so I was interested to read this. The end of the world has been a popular theme in science fiction, fantasy and horror lately, but usually zombies are the culprit. In The Strain, an epidemic of vampires is the cause. Now, vampires have been romanticized to the point where there is no longer anything horrifying about them ("Twilight"). The vampires in The Strain, however, are horrifically revolting, and almost unstoppable. This makes The Strain a refreshing change from the overworked zombie apocalypse genre. ( )
  MarcHutchison | Jul 11, 2021 |
I am torn about The Strain. I like it for all of its blood-sucking charms, but in order to do so, I’ve got to overlook some fairly major shortcomings in its mechanics. And I’ve got to do it all while somehow managing to avoid blaming Guillermo for anything.

It's so creepy that when I told my wife and daughter about it *they* got creeped out just from my description.

The Strain is a breakneck thrill ride chronicling only the first four days of the vampire plague that may destroy civilization. The cinematic quality really comes though, making the book feel more like a action blockbuster than a thought-provoking horror novel. The publisher is hyping the heck out of this book, and it will sell like a Dan Brown of the Undead. It has some dopey parts, but is also pretty entertaining and scary. This would be an excellent vacation read, although I would not recommend reading the first fifty pages on an airplane if you are a nervous flier. Save it for the beach soaking up the UV rays.
added by PhoenixTerran | editio9, Chris Hsiang (Jun 2, 2009)

Un Boeing 777 aterriza en el aeropuerto John F. Kennedy de Nueva York proveniente de Berlín, y cuando se dirige a la puerta para que los pasajeros empiecen a desembarcar, de repente se oscurece. La torre de control pierde contacto con el piloto y toda la actividad eléctrica del aparato se corta. No se escuchan móviles, ni BlackBerries, ni la radio, nada. Las cortinas de las ventanillas están bajadas y no se ve a nadie dentro. Se reúne un equipo de emergencias y todos observan al avión silencioso ahora bañado por las luces del aeropuerto, en completo silencio. Parece una gigantesca lápida blanca que brilla contra el oscuro cielo de la noche.
Entonces una brecha negra aparece en el fuselaje: es una puerta que se abre desde dentro con una lentitud glacial…
Siempre han estado aquí. Vampiros. Anidando y alimentándose. En secreto y oscuridad. A la espera. Ahora ha llegado su momento. En una semana, Manhattan habrá desaparecido. En tres meses, todo el país. En seis meses, el mundo entero.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

del Toro, GuillermoAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hogan, ChuckAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Pearlman, RonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to all nightmares, past and present, and to all the monsters in my nursery: May you never leave me alone. -GDT
To Lorenza, Mariana, and Marisa...
and to all the monsters in my nursery:
May you never leave me alone
- GDT

For Lila
- CH
For my Lila -CH
To Lorenza, Mariana, and Marisa ...
and to all the monsters in my nursery: May you never leave me alone. -GDT
For Lila -CH
The Legend of Jusef Sardu
"Once upon a time," said Abraham Setrakian's grandmother, "there was a giant."
"Once upon a time," said Abraham Setrakian's grandmother, "there was a giant."
Der var engang en kæmpe
Nothing can unman you like an un-man.

They have always been here. Vampires. In secret and in darkness. Waiting. Now their time has come.

In one week, Manhattan will be gone. In one month, the country.

In two months—the world.

A Boeing 777 arrives at JFK and is on its way across the tarmac, when it suddenly stops dead. All window shades are pulled down. All lights are out. All communication channels have gone quiet. Crews on the ground are lost for answers, but an alert goes out to the CDC. Dr. Eph Goodweather, head of their Canary project, a rapid-response team that investigates biological threats, gets the call and boards the plane. What he finds makes his blood run cold.

In a pawnshop in Spanish Harlem, a former professor and survivor of the Holocaust named Abraham Setrakian knows something is happening. And he knows the time has come, that a war is brewing . . .

So begins a battle of mammoth proportions as the vampiric virus that has infected New York begins to spill out into the streets. Eph, who is joined by Setrakian and a motley crew of fighters, must now find a way to stop the contagion and save his city—a city that includes his wife and son—before it is too late.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Guillermo del Toro's book The Strain was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,252,458 books! | Top bar: Always visible